Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Don't you get annoyed how when flying domestic even from coast to coast (5 - 6 hrs) long flight no free snacks or any type of food is served except only drinks. Airlines are unsmart and getting cheap. Seriously nobody would care or notice if you add few more dollars on the price of the flight for the cost of serving "free" snacks/food. Sure, it gives the option for people to purchase, but I and I'm sure most other people would appreciate not having to pay any extras. What is worst is that sometimes most airlines do not even accept cash, so you must pay with credit card. I do not want to pay for any snacks/food; it should be served for free especially if flight is 3+ hours!

What do you guys think?
Bring a snack. They sell them at WalMart.

People buy the cheaper ticket, it has been proven over time. They buy the cheaper ticket then complain about the lack of food. You are the example. If you had bought a ticket on a more expensive airline, you would've had the "free" food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I couldn't stand the cr*ppy food they served anyway, so I always bring my own.
Agreed. I've never had a great meal on a flight. Can't believe someone misses them.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agreed. I've never had a great meal on a flight. Can't believe someone misses them.
I miss the convenience of the availability of airplane meals rather than having to add to my list of preflight preparations food for my trip.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,505 times
What was sold as "coach" twenty years ago is now sold as "First Class" today.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:26 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
I take snacks with me. I would rather the airlines knock a few bucks off the price of my flight instead of giving me a "free" cookie or tiny bag of peanuts.
The problem is they are not knocking a few bucks off our ticket prices when they stop serving snacks, they just pocket the difference. They are cheap and greedy, plain and simple. Airlines in other countries charge the same or sometimes even less than ours do, but yet they provide a top notch experience when flying including actual MEALS on even relatively short flights. Most of the airlines in this country have just gotten cheap.

And on another somewhat related topic, a few years ago they started charging fees such as checked luggage fees to try to make up for the high cost of fuel at the time. Well fuel prices came down not long after and have continued coming down, airlines have kept up the bag fees and are pocketing them for record profits.
And in other countries? Many foreign airlines also added fees like this when fuel was high, but have since DROPPED those fees once fuel came back down to more tolerable levels.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:01 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Last time we flew we brought our own snacks. Granola bars, protein bars, single pack cookies, raisin & nut mix in snack size zip lock bags, and or beef jerky.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:13 PM

276 posts, read 330,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Last time we flew we brought our own snacks. Granola bars, protein bars, single pack cookies, raisin & nut mix in snack size zip lock bags, and or beef jerky.
Now we must prepare for that as well on top of everything else

Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,655 times
I miss the good old days of air travel. It used to be fun. Yes, we used to have meals included with our flights. No security check points. The staff seemed happier. Cleaner airplanes (interior). They didn't over book flights and set you up to miss your connecting flight. Yes, the meals were pretty good.

I do bring snack and water on my flights. It's so annoying when people bring stinky McDonalds or Subway meals with onions..Yuck.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,981 times
I'd rather bring my own snacks. They could have the 8oz. bottled waters onboard for free hydration, as water is universal and there are no allergen and other incompatibility complaints.

They can save their snack money and let me get 1 checked bag in for free instead.

easy/cheap snacks:
protein bar
trail mix
some sort of cheez-it snack mix
a tin of smoked almonds (about $3.00 at the grocery store)
fruit, popcorn, gummy bears, etc

Old 12-30-2014, 02:05 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,926,302 times
I usually make a few sandwiches for our family of 3, plus a few bags of sliced apples, baby carrots, nuts, etc. Sometimes we eat between segments, sometimes we eat on the plane. It gets us by.

I've never been bothered by others' stinky fast food as mentioned by someone else above. When I see someone open a big styrofoam box filled with Chinese food or burgers and fries, I just feel jealous.

Continental used to have pretty good food, and they held out longer than most of the others before giving up on meals.

It's just too darn expensive to operate an airline these days. It used to be more profitable when the airport access was more limited, fewer flights were allowed, and airlines were highly regulated. Coach tickets would easily cost $600-$1000. Only affluent travelers and business people flew; everyone else took buses, trains, or drove. No hoi polloi, no air rage, no useless security screening. Flying was a luxury.

Then they deregulated, prices dropped through the floor, and meanwhile fuel costs soared, and we have what we have today. There have been a few attempts at airlines offering business class only, but they haven't lasted, which suggests that despite all our complaining, not enough of us are willing to put our money where our mouth is and pay for a full service flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation