Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Now we see it even keeps a pilot out in an emergency. There definitely needs to be a way in that can't be locked out from the inside. Either that or a lav inside the cockpit that can't be locked.
Too bad the locked out pilot did not summon 3-4 very strong and muscular passengers and try to use their weight and force to break the door down.
The analysts say the decent would not have alarmed anyone until they saw the mountains near them.

There could be a system installed whereby crew members outside a locked cockpit door can gain access. Each of three crew members has a code. None of the codes will work individually or with two crew members. It takes all three codes and all three crew members to agree to use their codes in sequence that would open the cockpit door. One crew member could not open it and two crew members could not open it. It would take all three and it would be quite rare for three crew members to conspire to open the cockpit door to intentionally crash a plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:56 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Too bad the locked out pilot did not summon 3-4 very strong and muscular passengers and try to use their weight and force to break the door down.
It's unlikely that would have done any good. There really isn't enough space around the door for 3 or 4 people, much less that many people applying force on the door. If all these reports are true about the FO locking the Captain out, the door did what it was designed to do, unfortunately.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Research on what?

Maybe my arithmetic is wrong, but i simply used the numbers for cruising altitude and descent duration that came from a danish website. I guessed at the crash elevation of 2500 m.
Sorry, I was not thinking of decent rate, but actual accident rates for air travel. It is the safest way to go. Unless your pilot is a total fruitcake.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:25 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
per this morning's presser, no psych tests given to pilots during the hiring process or at any time...what the heck??? This guy had worked for Lufthansa for only a year.

People are creatures of habit, if these two had flown together frequently, the co-pilot could have known the pilot's rest room habits and waited until the right day to pull this off. I think it's possible he might have been a lone wolf sympathizer type of terrorist. FBI has been asked to assist. They might know more once they get into his residence and see what they find there.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Sorry, I was not thinking of decent rate, but actual accident rates for air travel. It is the safest way to go. Unless your pilot is a total fruitcake.
Thanks, but it urns out that my arithmetic was wrong! That is why I became an economist.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I'm going with the explanation no one could imagine in a thousand years, not even me.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
I don't think you can guard against this type of internal attack by making changes to the door to get it open from outside. The co-pilot intent on this type of murder would just change his form of attack. This was just the path of least resistance this time.

The fact is that you have to guard securely against the passengers so that door needs to be impossible to open. Because of that you need to trust that the pilots and other flight personnel that are allowed on the cockpit side are trustworthy.

Doesn't matter if a flight attendant goes in there in the pilots absence. A little knock out drug on a napkin could have them out in seconds.

To get the pilot out this time he could have easily bought the pilot a coffee with a diuretic in it. Or put something in the pilots drink while his head was turned. This could cause a predictable run to the bathroom.

Making the door open able from the outside would have just caused him to add to his form of attack by lowering the cabin pressure to knock everyone out.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you have an internal attack like this you likely can't defeat it by changes in procedure or physical means like door modification. You have to make sure that your physiological evaluations, employee procedures and grievance procedures head this sort of thing off.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:52 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I don't think you can guard against this type of internal attack by making changes to the door to get it open from outside. The co-pilot intent on this type of murder would just change his form of attack. This was just the path of least resistance this time.

The fact is that you have to guard securely against the passengers so that door needs to be impossible to open. Because of that you need to trust that the pilots and other flight personnel that are allowed on the cockpit side are trustworthy.

Doesn't matter if a flight attendant goes in there in the pilots absence. A little knock out drug on a napkin could have them out in seconds.

To get the pilot out this time he could have easily bought the pilot a coffee with a diuretic in it. Or put something in the pilots drink while his head was turned. This could cause a predictable run to the bathroom.

Making the door open able from the outside would have just caused him to add to his form of attack by lowering the cabin pressure to knock everyone out.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you have an internal attack like this you likely can't defeat it by changes in procedure or physical means like door modification. You have to make sure that your physiological evaluations, employee procedures and grievance procedures head this sort of thing off.
I agree! Unfortunately, you can never guard against every possible eventuality and random acts of lunacy by a person in a position of responsibility is one of the hardest things to guard against.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

Basically if the pilot or copilot want to crash the plane they will be able to do it. If you try and prevent this with automated systems which are not overrideable then if the systems fail the pilot cannot manually take over, might as well have autonomous planes.

Yet this could just as well have been a bus driver driving his bus off a cliff or a truck drivers plowing into a crowd.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:15 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
What? Im reading in the local newspapers here that the co pilot went ahead and just crashed the plane while the other was in the bathroom.

Wtf? If the guy wanted to commit suicide he could have jumped from a bridge.
Crashing a plane with 150 people on it? What kind of psycho does something like that?
Cant believe this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation