Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 02:01 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,006,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Not entirely. The way that I've seen some people on the far-left talk about certain issues, it borders on tacit support for groups like ISIS. For all we know the co-pilot would have been a leftist, and along with his depression had a serious case of "white guilt". It seems strange to me that so much information is being "leaked" so quickly and the story that's being constructed is one of it only being due to "depression". Too convenient and precise.
Yes 'for all we know' ...as the adage goes - just because you're paranoid ... Rather than rattle on about rabid leftists, I suggest you take another look at the post referred to.
We have a fair declaration that it's 'only a matter of time until 'ISIS' claims responsibility', drugs, a recent conversion to Islam. Then the observation that because he lived in Germany he had some Muslim friends (as though that alone might be motive enough to murder 149 people). We're asked to recall the current situation in Germany - no doubt the implication is that Europe's largest economy is an absolute hotbed of terrorist activity. And to cap it all, we're advised to remember the unbridled cruelty of the Germans.
As the saying goes, no stone unturned, and no prejudice neglected. The OP clearly never saw a tangent he didn't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 PM

4,051 posts, read 5,610,170 times
Scary! What do we need now? One federal marshal to watch the passengers and another one to watch the pilots?

Old 03-28-2015, 04:22 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,102,640 times
Well, at any rate his ex-girlfriend said he was secretly nutso way back years ago, telling her he wanted to get a place in history by doing something terrible on a large scale.

Also, rumors are that he was being treated most recently for eye problems in Dusseldorf, which of course would have disqualified him from his life's passion, flying.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:48 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,395,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Scary! What do we need now? One federal marshal to watch the passengers and another one to watch the pilots?
Who watches the marshal?

Old 03-28-2015, 04:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,239,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Who watches the marshal?
Another marshal, obviously.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I share the same attitude. Frequency of tragedies is always magnified out of proportion by the media. One single incident, or even 10 of them, may not justify a systemic change since the frequency is still very, very, very small among all commercial flights. And more importantly, fixing an issue may lead to a host of other issues. The separation of the cockpit from the passengers was a measure to fix the issue of possible terrorist acts, but see what it did? I bet the people that implemented this measure did not see this coming. Chances are we cannot predict the consequences of the reaction to this Germanwings incident, either.

The reality is, there is only that much we can improve on safety. If heavier emphasis is put on psychological screening, other areas may have to given in because of the limit on resources and the limit on the human mind: putting more restrictions on pilots may result in less competent pilots since those that are more capable don't want to put up with the hassle.

Safety is very important, but it's not everything. In the past, people have sacrificed their lives for freedom and independence. If we accept more restrictions and less comfort in exchange for a tiny margin of safety, is it worth it?
That's right, apart from reasonable attention to safety, there's not much more than can be done.
Life is a dangerous business.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Another marshal, obviously.
And before you know it, you've got a posse on board. Each eyeballing the other.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:28 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,014,187 times
Just watched a short interview with one of the helicopter pilots involved in the recovery mission. So much respect for all those involved in such a difficult sad task.

modernist1, you said it perfectly... on so many levels, life is a dangerous business indeed. I work 3 weekends out of four each month, with a bit of a commute, so I listen to a lot of talk/news/npr on the drive. Today on the way home, I hit the radio scan button --- if it wasn't a news story about this crash, then it was about a random guy getting beat up on a train in St. Louis; the reemergence of Ebola; little kids in Syria who've never known peace not once in their entire lives. And now, moron that I am, I'm watching the latest on this crash & they're talking about victims' families getting as close to the site as possible to come together and mourn. Think I'll go hang with the dog & turn off the damn TV ....be grateful for how good my loved ones and I have it.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:33 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,512,929 times
Which begs the question if the ex-girlfriend knew he was or at the time wanted to be an an airline pilot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well, at any rate his ex-girlfriend said he was secretly nutso way back years ago, telling her he wanted to get a place in history by doing something terrible on a large scale.

Also, rumors are that he was being treated most recently for eye problems in Dusseldorf, which of course would have disqualified him from his life's passion, flying.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,512,929 times
I know people want simple answers with re-assuring conclusions that make them feel safe so they can go on with their lives... if you want to dismiss more complex theories that can't be fit into convenient parameters, that's your problem, not mine.

The fact that he was "depressed" just doesn't explain the motive behind this. We have to look at each and every aspect of his life, everything that influenced him throughout his entire life, and if possible how these influences affected him on a daily basis. Unfortunately, this probably won't be possible, since it's unlikely that he was copiously documenting his every thought, action, and change in mood each and every day. But if "depression" was the only cause of this tragedy, then planes would falling out of the skies on a daily basis since many pilots must struggle with depression at some point in the career.

Personally I think that there are "societal" factors at play. It seems to me discussing this at length would be a wasted effort, but in general I can say - from experience and research - that recent history still plays a significant (and sometimes detrimental) role in the German psyche. Not only the Nazi era, but the legacy of the DDR contributes to how even younger Germans think of themselves. It afflicts each in different ways, whether through profound guilt, self-hate, disdain for outsiders, slavish fascination for foreign influences, the New Age and the occult, etc. I don't think that people in North America can really understand because the legacy of the past and the influence of place in one's life is usually much more theoretical and easy to detach from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Yes 'for all we know' ...as the adage goes - just because you're paranoid ... Rather than rattle on about rabid leftists, I suggest you take another look at the post referred to.
We have a fair declaration that it's 'only a matter of time until 'ISIS' claims responsibility', drugs, a recent conversion to Islam. Then the observation that because he lived in Germany he had some Muslim friends (as though that alone might be motive enough to murder 149 people). We're asked to recall the current situation in Germany - no doubt the implication is that Europe's largest economy is an absolute hotbed of terrorist activity. And to cap it all, we're advised to remember the unbridled cruelty of the Germans.
As the saying goes, no stone unturned, and no prejudice neglected. The OP clearly never saw a tangent he didn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation