Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:28 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
That's just what airframes do when traveling 400+ miles an hour and hit the earth at an oblique angle.
I agree. And what possibly could have happened to the plane or pilots to have that result? Some are thinking decompression issues in the cabin incapacitating the pilots. If so, they wouldn't have been able to take off the autopilot after incapcitated, or deliberately nose-dive it. So...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 03:39 PM

1,057 posts, read 867,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I'm thinking, how in the world could anyone even begin to speculate at this point?
Um ok. That's kind of why we have Internet forums.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
I agree. And what possibly could have happened to the plane or pilots to have that result? Some are thinking decompression issues in the cabin incapacitating the pilots. If so, they wouldn't have been able to take off the autopilot after incapcitated, or deliberately nose-dive it. So...
This whole incident, as with other recent crashes is puzzling so far to say the least. I'm not a pilot as others on the forum are that are vastly more knowledgeable than I and so defer to them on specific analysis about the plane and information about the accident as it is released. But I am a bit of airplane junkie as well as one of those air crash nuts who pour over history and specifics of them. My brother is a captain for Jet Blue and a good friend of mine in the neighborhood is a senior captain at Delta nearing retirement age with years of international jumbo jet experience and so they feed my interest with their experiences and knowledge.

At this point who knows what the heck happened but it wouldn't completely shock me if it may have had something to do with the specific computer controls of the Airbus, that model airliner or the training in reliance of those controls. I'm not quite one of those "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!" folks, but I will say I trust the design of their planes more (even as we know of specific past flaws in their design of several models).

The lack of cockpit communications (to ground tracking) is most curious and troubling though?

Old 03-24-2015, 05:01 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Don't be insulting. ( housewife )
My background?....
I'm watching the news like everybody else. I also did my own research.

So..
A pilot flying a Boeing for instance, can override the auto by pilots by forcefully break the controls.
Airbus however, is the way you described.

Airbus seems to limit their pilots more in extreme situations. For instance, the computer could stop a pilot from certain actions that normally would be less safe, however, it could be necessary in an emergency.
I can research neurosurgery, but having nothing more than a high school biology class, the research isn't going to do me much good.

BTW, it's autopilot, not "auto by pilots".

Old 03-24-2015, 05:11 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I can research neurosurgery, but having nothing more than a high school biology class, the research isn't going to do me much good.

BTW, it's autopilot, not "auto by pilots".
The last part was auto correct. Not my intention.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I can research neurosurgery, but having nothing more than a high school biology class, the research isn't going to do me much ".
Am I wrong?

Old 03-24-2015, 05:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This type of airplane ( airbus) is fully automated with no reversal if the computers fail. Something to think about.
I remember long threads in rec.travel.air 20 years ago about the difference in control automation philosophies between Boeing and Airbus, but I'm assuming things are somewhat more similar now between the two.

(As a 25-year software developer in the airline industry [ground systems, not avionics], my trust in software is limited compared to my trust in an experienced flight crew, at least in commercial aircraft.)

Old 03-24-2015, 05:43 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,330 times
It is being reported that other flight crews are refusing to fly with that airlines. These are insiders that must know something that greatly concerns them to not fly.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I remember long threads in rec.travel.air 20 years ago about the difference in control automation philosophies between Boeing and Airbus, but I'm assuming things are somewhat more similar now between the two.

(As a 25-year software developer in the airline industry [ground systems, not avionics], my trust in software is limited compared to my trust in an experienced flight crew, at least in commercial aircraft.)
I have no personal experience obviously, but I come from a long family and friends of aviators., pilots, mechanics, ATC....you name it. I hear these and other discussions at the dinner table all the time. I know that Boeing put more "trust" in their pilots than Airbus does. Most people in the indsutry should know that.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:27 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Trust in automated systems, something everyone should think about when you hear the term automated car or driverless car.

I watched some first hand reports of those seeing the plane just before it crashed. From what they said, it would seem the engines were running.

What a horror.

No matter what, from the day of life, the risks keep going up as to when you'll die. The risks never go down, they accumulate until they catch up with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation