Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Just reported: One of the pilots was locked out of the cockpit before the plane crashed.
Well that's quite a twist of events ... what are the odds to two suicidal pilots purposely crashing their planes within a year of eachother? I think it's also possible the pilot have been a sleeper cell terrorist as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,772 times
Oh man, here we go; as I suggested in an earlier post...

Quote:
NYTimes.com

...prosecutors in Marseille, have been charged with a separate criminal inquiry into the crash... Brice Robin, the Marseille prosecutor, was due to meet Thursday morning with the families of the crash victims.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Wait, a memory card is "missing" from the black box? I thought that was all but proven to be impossible? Wheelsup, any insight on that subject?
I think it would be possible. The section that holds the memory boards/computer chips is bolted onto the box. Did you see how beat up the the CVR looked.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:36 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Just reported: One of the pilots was locked out of the cockpit before the plane crashed.
Wow. Is this another SilkAir type incident? We'll eventually know what happened.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:41 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Wow. Is this another SilkAir type incident? We'll eventually know what happened.
IMO this is more like Egypt Air 990 ... I eagerly await the names of the flight crew, in particular the one who was at the controls at the time of the crash.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
I mean, what are the chances of the flight going smoothly, one pilot leaves the cockpit (don't know why) and then can't get back in, even tries to break the door in, and at that moment the pilot is having a medical emergency The odds have to be astronomical. CNN is reporting now. Talking heads saying that if a pilot leaves the cockpit, then a flight attendance is suppose to go into the cockpit until he returns, this is standard procedure. Course we don't know if a flight attendance did go in or not, but doesn't seem so. Also, they are saying that it is a very simple procedure to open the door. They are showing the switch now, there is a lever unlock, norm and lock. This looks bad to me.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:38 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I mean, what are the chances of the flight going smoothly, one pilot leaves the cockpit (don't know why) and then can't get back in, even tries to break the door in, and at that moment the pilot is having a medical emergency The odds have to be astronomical. CNN is reporting now. Talking heads saying that if a pilot leaves the cockpit, then a flight attendance is suppose to go into the cockpit until he returns, this is standard procedure. Course we don't know if a flight attendance did go in or not, but doesn't seem so. Also, they are saying that it is a very simple procedure to open the door. They are showing the switch now, there is a lever unlock, norm and lock. This looks bad to me.
I think it's murder/suicide by the pilot.

First of all the flight attendant in the cockpit is not an international requirement, The US flights do observe it.

The copilot would not have gone out during a descent. The switch should have been left at normal, so he could get back in and not set at locked. I doubt that the pilot had a stroke or heart attack while descending for no reason while the door was securely locked and could not be entered by the copilot.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:45 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
That's why there are two pilots - When one is unavailable there's always the other. So I don't see why a plane would crash if one person were flying it. I got two assumptions:

The pilot inside the cockpit DELIBERATELY locked the other one outside just so he can crash the plane (murder-suicide)...

Or...

Whilst the other pilot went out, the one in the cockpit went unconscious due to a medical condition (maybe a heart attack). But how would he lock the door behind him and leave the key inside?

I think this is nefarious, so I'm leaning towards the first scenario here...

Last edited by Ethereal; 03-25-2015 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 07:47 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,886,868 times
Wow, this got interesting. When will we get to know the pilots? That's it, I now never want to fly a non USA carrier.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:52 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
So, are they going to require each pilot to have a key on them at all times now? Even in the unlikely event of pilot medical emergency it would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation