Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:36 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

My grandmother, born in 1907, flew for the first time from NJ to CA when she was 86 and my cousin was getting married. I wondered how she would do, and when she got home I asked her how she liked flying. Her eyes lit up and she grinned and said, "Oh, it was great!" At 89, she took another plane trip, this time to visit her sister in Florida. While there, she had a serious heart attack, and began to weaken after that and didn't travel again. She died in 2001 at 94. But I always remember this woman who had been born when flight was in its infancy and all the inventions, wars, depression, personal tragedies, and everything she had seen and lived through having that grin and that sparkle in her eye after finally flying for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:23 AM

622 posts, read 527,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Within Europe, I can't seem to be able to avoid an A320 or a Boeing 737.
We must fly two more hours on a smaller plane from Western to Eastern Europe - and those will be one of the above. It's that part of the trip I fear most.

I haven't done this in 3 years and this fear has gotten much, much worse in the meantime.
Well, you could conceivably go by train once you've landed somewhere in Europe. Have a look at this site: Cheap train tickets from Frankfurt am Main to Warsaw | GoEuro

I didn't know where your flight would land, or where you proposed to go to after that, so I just used Frankfurt - Warsaw as an example in the link.

That said, an A320 takes off or lands somewhere in the world every 2.5 seconds which speaks highly of its safety record. There are even more 737s around: Putting Boeing 737 & Airbus A320 Popularity Into Perspective - Flying With Fish

Old 04-04-2015, 08:47 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
As recommended by a previous poster, I would highly recommend that you reserve a business-class seat, while this can be a VERY expensive ticket, it will be worth the cost. The advantage that this may give you is that while you are still physically on a plane, the extra amenities and luxuries may possibly help serve as a distraction. In addition, if you can find an airline that offers lie-flat business class seats that would be even better, you can take some sleep medicine and sleep the majority of the flight in a comfortable bed, something that cannot be achieved in economy class.

Best of luck!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:45 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
I must choose between 3 Boeing aircraft: 777, 767, 747.

Ideally we would want 4 seats next to each other though kids would probably be better off with some distance between them and me.

The 747 would be convenient in many ways but im afraid the aircraft is too old.
For the 777 I'm afraid it's too automated ...and the 767 only has 3 seats next to each other.

Which one of these aircrafts is considered safest?
Thank you so much...

Old 04-04-2015, 01:49 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Personally I like the 777, But the 767 is also fine.

While the 747's are "Older" they are maintained to the same standards as the 777 767.

How old are the kids?

Old 04-04-2015, 03:56 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
It's not exactly a mental disorder, but if you really did want to cure it, I'm heard that hypnosis will work very well.

When I fly, I don't book the ticket until a few days before, so that I can check the weather at both ends. This costs more, of course, but it's worth it to me. I will not fly in the winter, nor when there is rain or high winds at either end. Flying in very hot weather (like 100 degrees) can cause turbulence, from the movement generated by heat waves on the ground. Also, there is generally less turbulence toward the front of the plane.

Try to sleep on the flight, although I know that sounds difficult. I take dramamine, and that puts me to sleep. Some people take tranquilizers. Don't be afraid about telling the flight attendant that you're nervous; sometimes they can be nice about it. Do not sit next to the kids. I think if you find a forum that is specifically about travel, or even specifically about flight, they might know about particular planes. And keep reminding yourself that, statically, you're very safe.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:

Ideally we would want 4 seats next to each other though kids would probably be better off with some distance between them and me.

For the 777 I'm afraid it's too automated ...and the 767 only has 3 seats next to each other.

Thank you so much...
From airsafe.com:

The following airliner models are ranked by the rate of fatal plane crashes per million flights. Only plane crashes involving at least one passenger death are included. The number of flights are current as of 31 December 2013

Boeing 747-400
0.07 fatal crashes per million flights
7.53 million flights
2 fatal crashes

[Note: to my knowledge, the Series 400 is the only kind of 747 that is still being flown by the major U.S. air carriers. Older models of the plane have been retired from their fleets.]

Boeing 767
0.31 fatal crashes per million flights
17.78 million flights
6 fatal crashes (including 2 on Sept. 11, 2001)

Boeing 777
0.27 fatal crashes per million miles
7.50 million flights
3 fatal crashes

Old 04-05-2015, 07:14 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:

Thank you so much...

The 747's are also going to be the least turbulent, followed by the 777, then the 767. THe larger the aircraft ,the less they shake if you go through turbulence.

The 777's aren't any more automated than the 767's really

Old 04-05-2015, 07:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
My husband is about to buy the plane tickets but I freaked out.

I am panicking, literally - and he got upset and left it all to me.

We narrowed down the options and he wants to take an Airfrance flight (with a Boeing 777) but I would prefer to accept some inconveniences and fly with British Airways on the same aircraft instead.
Darn Delta doesn't operate anything where we need to go - they hand it over to either Airfrance or KLM but don't seem to put American pilots on that route.

Problem with British is that we must put up with an 8 hour layover (after a 10 hours flight) and we get to our final destination at midnight - a trip of 19 hours total.
My husband thinks this is too much inconvenience to deal with, especially with 2 kids (7 and 9)...whereas I am freaked out about Air France.

Call me prejudiced, a racist, a hater, or just plain an idiot -...but I just feel that flying skills, maintenance, etc are not exactly the strong suit of the French. No, I am not some ridiculous American with nationalistic issues who parrots back lines like "had it not been for us in WWII, they would have all spoken German" or the lame line about "surrender monkeys" etc.

I am a naturalized US citizen who simply does not trust some cultures when it comes to certain occupations that require precision, coolness, technical knack, and ability to get yourself together fast and calmly when needed.
I do not fly the carrier of my own home country for these reasons.
Certain cultures breed sloppiness, imprecision and a general sense of "laid-back"-ness in their people. I know it because I am like this myself (at times) and I have fought for years against these tendencies that I picked up at home.

AF's most recent crash was due to pilots reacting incorrectly to the mess they were in at that moment.

What would you do?

AirFrance - most convenient flight or British and put up with the inconvenience of an 8 h our layover and arrival late at night?

Please help.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:58 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Brittish

I wouldnt fly in air france after the accident in the atlantic ocean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation