Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 02:07 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times

Advertisements

Cargo is worth more than the delay.

For every bag that a passenger doesn't check, that's 50lbs of freight that they can fly and make further revenue on.

I'd have to dig through the financials, and really am not bored enough to do it, but I'd wager that the domestics started making more money in cargo shortly after implementing the bag check fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:05 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Cargo is worth more than the delay.

For every bag that a passenger doesn't check, that's 50lbs of freight that they can fly and make further revenue on.

I'd have to dig through the financials, and really am not bored enough to do it, but I'd wager that the domestics started making more money in cargo shortly after implementing the bag check fee.
A passenger's bag weighs the same whether they carry it aboard or check it. Decreasing checked baggage would free up space down below for extra cargo, but it won't change the overall weight being carried (unless people are simply flying lighter due to the bag fees).

Personally, I don't understand the logic of checked bag fees. It simply forces people to try and cram as much stuff as possible into the overhead bins, which will often delay departure while the flight attendants try and find space for the extra stuff or else gate-check it. Southwest, who doesn't charge for either checked bags or carry-ons, always seems to have enough space in the overhead bins. One of the many reasons they are my carrier of choice.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Exactly. Whenever I fly with airlines that don't charge, I always feel sorry for the last group of people who board and have to gate-check their bags because there is no room.
American charges a fee for checked bags only, but if you have to gate check because there is no room or your bag is deemed too big, they will check it for no charge.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:44 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
A passenger's bag weighs the same whether they carry it aboard or check it. Decreasing checked baggage would free up space down below for extra cargo, but it won't change the overall weight being carried (unless people are simply flying lighter due to the bag fees).

Personally, I don't understand the logic of checked bag fees. It simply forces people to try and cram as much stuff as possible into the overhead bins, which will often delay departure while the flight attendants try and find space for the extra stuff or else gate-check it. Southwest, who doesn't charge for either checked bags or carry-ons, always seems to have enough space in the overhead bins. One of the many reasons they are my carrier of choice.
True but not many planes are flying close to maximum capacity in terms of total load. Available space in the hold will be well utilized.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:58 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Quote:

Technically not correct. Carry on luggage is included in the standard passenger weight. When you check luggage, while it doesn't actually add weight, it adds weight on paper. I believe a checked carry-on is worth 20 lbs, while a checked regular piece of luggage is figured at 30 lbs. If you take that checked carry-on and put it in the cabin, you "lose" 20 lbs of weight. On paper.

The reality is it's very unusual to get into a situation where you are putting up against gross weight or even bulking out, save for a select few international destinations on long flights.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:54 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
This is all airline greed. Awful.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:48 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
On the regional Embrarer and CJ jets they do, as there is a baggage hold right there, and the plane doesn't have sufficient overheads. When you play carry-on roulette on a 737, the baggage goes in the main hold and comes back on the carousel.
And that really, REALLY sucks when your carryon contains stuff that should never be checked (like camera equipment). This is the major reason I have the airline credit card for both United and American: guaranteed Group 1 boarding.

I wish their major airlines would flip things around and allow 1 free checked bag, but charge for a carryon. It would be better for everyone.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:52 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't understand the logic of checked bag fees.
The logic originally was simply that it allowed the airline to advertise an artificially low fare. A lot of people are extremely price-sensitive when it comes to shopping for airfare, so that gave the first airline to do this (American, as I recall) a temporary advantage.

Now, of course, it's pretty pointless.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:44 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The logic originally was simply that it allowed the airline to advertise an artificially low fare.
There was an episode of "Here's Lucy" called Lucy Visits Jack Benny (30 Sep. 1968) where an inexpensive vacation becomes quite costly for the Carters when it's spent at cheapskate Jack Benny's in-home hotel.

A half century ago it was considered comedy to price all sorts of essential items as "additional fees" in order to advertise an artificially low price. Now it is a way of life for the service economy.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:17 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
This is all airline greed. Awful.
I agree, they have made more than enough profit since 9/11. So now they are just packing it on. No way out of it other than pay. America needs better rail service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation