Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 AM

316 posts, read 595,974 times

Advertisements

How do you do!
I'm a pilot, and wondering if we can somehow get a forum going on various tidbits, say, tips, information, great short ordeal, trips, and stories....

I fly out of KJAC, KMRY, KSLE, and Boulder, CO.

When I fly east, where I live, we hanger at Monmouth Exec. KBLM!

In any case, looking to see someone join - perhaps we can all take a trip through life together - at least on this frequency!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Always maintain at least enough airspeed and altitude to clear the trees... Sorry, I'm sure you're looking for far more than silly posts from former maintainers. (The thread can only improve from here, right!) I've never had enough of a desire to sit in the left (or right) seat to go to flight school, but I truly enjoyed my years as a USAF maintainer.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:32 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
I've loved aviation since the age of 8. In the mid to late 1960's, my parents used to always take me to KPHX (Phoenix Sky Harbor) and sit at the end of runway 7R or 25R and watch Boeing 707's and 727's take off and land. Of course back then, the Douglas DC-6, DC-7 and the Lockheed 1049 Constellation were still in use, and it was always a thrill to see them.

I've flown VFR on a Cessna 172 Skyhawk when I took lessons in 1989, I've also been in Boeing 737-300, Airbus A318/19/20, and Boeing 757-200 simulators. I've also been inside the flight decks of the Airbus A319, Boeing 707-322B, Boeing 727-200, 737-200, and the Boeing 767-2XX, during flights. Of course that was in the days before September 11th, 2001.

I also have a flight simulator on one of my home computers.

what kind of aircraft do you have?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
ASEL Instrument Rated, 2000+ hours, in Cessna, various 180/182/185. Have 100 hours in 152 and 172, then a 170, while getting my ticket and before buying my first airplane.

Previously based at KAPA or 2V2, have flown a lot out of 1V5, too, as did my wife in a 160HP SuperCub.

Most of my flying has been in the Rockies, with a lot of VFR & MVFR experience in the backcountry, although I will not fly over the rocks in the dark or on the dials. Have a serious allergy to ice cubes. I fly the rocks all year long, and head up to KASE, KEGE, or KBTF when the back country dirt/grass strips are not available.

We frequently head to Greeley, Ft Morgan, Sterling, or KSNY (Cabela's), KLAR, for the proverbial $100 burger.

I just did a one day sales call to KPUB. Absolutely smooth ride at 7,500', but came home to a 50 degree 25g40 crosswind. Rather sporting on the narrow home airstrip, but settled on just fine and had no issues until trying to turn the plane around for the backtaxi. With the frequent strong winds we get here in SE Wyoming, one needs to stay on top of crosswind ops all the way to inside the hangar and the door closed.

The furthest East I've flown was St Louis, in hard IFR most of the way roundtrip. The furthest West has been the entire West coast, from SanDiego to Seattle. Lots of backcountry flying in ID, too ... camping out at the dirt/grass strips back there, esp Frank Church Wilderness area.

What/where do you fly? IFR rated? Taildragger?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:59 PM

I guess then it's sofar just us 3some with high hobbies!

In any case, thanks for responding.

Flying nearly 20 years now. Cessna 152/172/185 1000+ hours. That's my hobby part. I'm IFR now nearly 10 years. Was a must after getting stuck in clouds right above airport near Farmingdale NJ, couldnt find airport just below - man....

I am a part owner in a BC baron 58, useful out of KJAC, homebase. I'm rated over 3 years - really special plane.

The most exquisit trip was from 1V5 to KMRY - last summer with my 2 oldest kids... we were all taken by the beautiful views of what turned out to be Mammoth Lakes, CA on an initial overfight to KMRY. (Monterey) - )Know somebody with a high flying toy... So I frequent the hights!)

Flew out IFR from Boulder, in B58, at the beginning of July. It turned out to be nearly full day of flights (Bathroom! Stretch!) and spent 4 days there. It is truly beautiful... Cant wait to go back... Bonded with the two oldest... Just special! Made it back in direct flight just over 4 hours.

Unless up on Holiday and that's usually Jackson, or weekly quick bussiness Denver, or San Fran, I'm in Central Jersey, but always looking to spend time out west.

Any ideas how to grow this thread?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Just one thing. I was in Denver 3 weeks ago. Apparently 1V5 is no longer that code... It was changed to 4 letters KB something.. will post next time i'm out there - (Next week.. I hope!)

Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
It's KBDU now for Boulder. Going to have to get the GPS database updated in the next cycle.

On the one hand, I could be jealous of your B58's cross country speed and high altitude ability.

On the other hand, I get to see a lot of country close up ... and a lot slower ... and can head into places where a low wing twin isn't going to venture. But I see you've got 185 experience, so you know what that's all about.

I used to get some right seat time in a friend's Machen Aerostar ... that was a cruiser. He bought a sailboat in San Diego ... but didn't know how to sail, and wanted me to teach him. Unfortunately ... for me, anyway ... the more he learned about how much effort was involved with a 40' sailboat, the less he wanted to go sailing. Too much work for him, he sold it and bought a powerboat. Gas up and go ... much more space above the waterline in the main saloon, kept him from getting seasick down below as in the sailboat main cabin.

Judging from the low response level to this thread, and some other postings we've had in other topic areas ... there aren't but a handful of private pilots on this forum. I doubt you'll get much interest going here, Rabbi Joe.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM

Default Tried!

Thanks again-
A question. Any info regarding cell phone use in flight. Not the legalities, rather the possibilty? I have sprint coast to coast, but it neve seems to work more then say 800'-'1000 AGL.

Anybody know nything?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
Thanks again-
A question. Any info regarding cell phone use in flight. Not the legalities, rather the possibilty? I have sprint coast to coast, but it neve seems to work more then say 800'-'1000 AGL.

Anybody know nything?
I would think the phone wouldn't work at level 30,0 AGL and above, but not at low altitudes like that. The only reason I can think of is you might be out of their area of coverage, where there aren't too many signal towers. Have you tried using the cell phone while you're above a city?

I don't use Sprint, but I think they'd give you a better answer.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Cool stuff!

Last edited by wankel7; 02-09-2008 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation