Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:25 PM

201 posts, read 188,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
Any disaster. I watched Air Disasters on Smithsonian channel for awhile. Every episode is chilling. One of the worst was when a plane leaving Orlando, I think, had something on it that combust. The fire sucks all the oxygen. Everyone, including the pilots, suffocated. The plane crashes in the everglades. And it's EXTREMELY difficult to recover the wreckage because of that terrain. Heat, Swamp, snakes, mosquitoes, etc.
That was ValuJet 592 which took off from Miami. They were trying to return to Miami when they crashed. The cause of the fire was improperly packed chemical oxygen generators in cargo by a maintenance contractor. 02 generators are passenger emergency equipment(when the mask fall from the ceiling). The maintenance contractor claimed they thought the generators were used. Imo, that is a big pile of BS.

Besides 911, I think American 191 has affected me the most. I don't remember the crash because I was just a kid, but I drove by the crash sight everyday when I worked at ORD. There was an old sign as a memorial hanging on the fence across from the employee entrance. And the fact that it was improper maintenance procedures that caused the accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 01:58 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,598,419 times
It was 1949 or 1950 that my little sister, myself, and two other friends saw a plane spiraling down and crashing in the woods. It was in a very remote area and we had our sleds with us. It took us a long time to find the plane. It was scattered about, treetops sheered off and smoldering. However, what I remember most was my little sister pointing up to one tree and ask me if this part of the person was his soul.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:23 PM

714 posts, read 742,309 times
JAL 1628. Always heard about this one as a kid in AK, it happened just before I was born (a year earlier to the day IIRC) and it always mystified me.

After Alaska, my family moved to Spokane and we heard a lot about the Fairchild B-52 incident mentioned in earlier posts.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:53 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,149,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Is there an aviation incident that extremely shocked and/or disturbed you?

For me personally, the crashes of MH17 and Air France Flight 447 got to me the most. Mh17 was inexcusable and very disquieting. Air France was extremely shocking as it happened out of nowhere.
My uncle died in 9/11 but even creepier in a way many years ago the Air Avanca crash out on Long Island NY a full sized plane almost landed on my girl friends house, there were bodies in the trees in her backyard.

I also saw the airfrance crash off Long Island and disturbhing when they pulled rows of seats some with body attached from ocean.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:01 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,209,435 times
A chopper I was in that crashed. That kind of affected me.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:15 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,739,763 times
The crash of Senator Paul Wellstone's plane in 2002.

I knew two of the people who died on the crash - not the Senate but his daughter and his wife. It was surreal watching the evening news and hearing their names, people who I met long before their father/husband was elected to national office and became nationally prominent, listed among the dead.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,655,758 times
They all affect me, but only one happened near me. That was the Northwest crash in August 1987, just north of DTW. That's the only crash where I personally viewed the scene while it was still on fire.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:30 PM

24,300 posts, read 25,806,881 times
Mid air collision in Norwalk, CA in Feb, 1958. Was getting to go out on a date with my now wife and saw the 2 planes collide.

Norwalk, CA Transport Plane and Bomber Collide In Midair, Feb 1958 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

Old 02-22-2016, 08:24 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,625,358 times
Air France 007, in 1962, as it was returning a large group of Atlanta art patrons from Paris to Atlanta. They had been in Paris for a trip as part of plans for a new art museum in Atlanta (the current High Museum). The crash tore a huge hole out of a group of people who were "Old Atlanta", the people in Atlanta who made things happen in both business and especially the arts. There's a lovely stained glass rose window at our church that is a memorial to the victims of the crash (some of whom were members of the church), and you will find references to it here and there throughout Atlanta. Back then, almost everyone in Atlanta knew someone who had been on that plane.

What I vividly remember was the controversy over Malcolm X's comments regarding the crash. His comments about the crash being "an answer to a prayer" and that the crash was a "very beautiful thing" and he hoped that Allah was going to cause a plane to drop out of the sky every day from now on and kill more white people were stunningly callous. Even today, the amount of hate spewing out of that comment shocks me.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,001,047 times
I've had about a dozen friends die in crashes. I tend to remove myself from any accident and not have an emotional response. I do enjoy watching and reading about them. I find the human factors aspect fascinating. Eastern 401 is one that sticks out. Alaska 727 is epic as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation