Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 07:13 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times

Advertisements

PBS is running a series of documentaries about the women who helped pioneer aviation in the 1920's. Including an amazing documentary on Poncho Barnes who flew stunts in Howard Hughes movie Hell's Angels organized he first union for Hollywood stunt pilots and was a central character in the Right Stuff.

American Experience . Fly Girls | PBS

Photo Gallery . Amelia Earhart . American Experience . WGBH | PBS

The Legend of Pancho Barnes - A Documentary Film
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:20 AM

786 posts, read 811,498 times
Here's something that's to do with `International Women's Day`, which I must say, is, at least, more inspiring than that dreadful Amelia Earhart, to whom, after countless years, I've become intolerant. However, Valentino Tereshkova, who, in her cosmonaut-days, looks like my late mum, is nice, isn't she? But best of luck to those girls! I'd like to 'fly' AirIndia, too

International Women's day: Air India New Delhi-San Francisco flight to have all women crew - Times of India

Last edited by OldChina; 03-05-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 06:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Just illustrates a person need skill not balls to fly like a hawk.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:03 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
I must say, is, at least, more inspiring than that dreadful Amelia Earhart,
It is interesting that according the documentary on the first the Women’s Air Derby during the 1929 National Air Races and Aeronautical Exposition, Earhart while the best known to the public was not considered by the other women as a "natural pilot." That title went to women like Pancho Barnes, Marvel Crosson, Louise Thaden, Phoebe Omlie or Blanche Noyes. Ironically Crosson who was an experienced Alaskan bush pilot was the only fatality during the race which was speculated to have due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Air_Derby

What I find remarkable, is how long it took for women to be accepted as pilots in the U.S. military, first with the Navy in 1974 and the Air Force in 1976!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
What I find remarkable, is how long it took for women to be accepted as pilots in the U.S. military, first with the Navy in 1974 and the Air Force in 1976!
Especially considering how well they served as civilians during WW II flying everything the military had to offer as WASPs.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 AM

Well – let's not overlook that they make admirable 'flight-attendants', too. They tend to be better than men, you know. And I'm by no-means a misandrist or 'sexist' in saying that
Anyway, today it's Mothers Day

Last edited by OldChina; 03-06-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 05:22 PM

I didn't wish to mislead us. My wife has corrected me that Mothering Sunday, which is celebrated in the Republic of Ireland and the U K, is held on the fourth Sunday in Lent, whereas Mother's Day, which applies to most other countries including the U S A, is set for the second Sunday in May. Perhaps the maternal aviatrix could get some kicks from hopping from one country to another so as to participate in several such celebrations in the same calendar year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Day

Old 03-08-2016, 07:44 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,328,741 times
Some were not even allowed to learn to fly in the USA.

First Black Female Pilot Continues To Inspire: Inspired By French Female Fighter Pilots In WWI | African American News

Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
I sure would like to see mention of my university professor (Spanish Literature) who was a pilot back then. I've tried to google it, but I don't know her maiden name. She was an amazing professor at George Washington University and she told us a bit about flying as a WASP back then. Had the funniest 'twang' in her very American-accented Spanish, but she sure knew her Golden Age literature. Learned so much from her. I can still hear her voice as she extolled Lope de Vega...

Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 AM

One can assume that if one were a healthy well-connected well-educated well-to-do well-advised and well-funded woman with a few billions to spare, one would be tempted to buy a rocketship (though perhaps not from Richard Branson) so as to take one round the Moon or more. Then, especially if one could get one to believe that one began with very little, wouldn't one be fêted in society and lauded by History? What I'm illustrating is how 'challenging' it would be: but how just anyone as charming and intelligent as that could do it. If only the miserable working classes could show as much enterprise or imagination!

Last edited by OldChina; 03-09-2016 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation