Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,224 times

Advertisements

Sorry I don't know where to post this and I can't seem to find the information online. Let's say you're an astronaut about to go to space for NASA, are there going to be electrical outlets on the spaceship? I would think so but I don't know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 03:05 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
It would make sense to have them for movable experiments or tools but this is NASA and if there is a more complicated way of doing something they will find it.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:22 PM

311 posts, read 477,864 times
Not outlets in the way your thinking of them in your house. For the space shuttle / Apollo missions, almost everything that required electrical power is "hard wired" into the system. A few reasons for this: 1) Missions are carefully planned, and most of what you need has been carefully integrated into the space craft design. No need to bring a blender or vacuum along 2) The power bus on the spacecraft (usually a 28V or 65V DC bus) does not have extra capacity to supply power to a "random" load the way your home electrical system can simply supply an extra 10 or so amps to power your toaster, etc. 3) There is a risk of arcing when you mate / de-mate a "plug" into an outlet, which is not a good thing in a pure oxygen environment.

For the space station, not sure if they have some sort of way to power any extra DC equipment. Interesting question!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:32 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Just a FYI, the Shuttle, Space Station, Apollo (after 1) ran a more "Air" like environment.

I would think the would have to have some kind of "outlet" in the Space Station as its a long term with different experiments going up with each Re-Supply mission. The astronaut have personal thing like Laptops, tablets, IPods that need charging.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:34 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Wow, I just found a picture of the Space Station "Outlets"

https://www.quora.com/What-types-of-...-Space-Station

Old 04-09-2016, 07:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Sure.

But don't book a Soyuz flight and then forget to take your outlet converters, or you'll never be able to charge your iPhone.

(and boy, won't you feel silly then!)

Old 04-10-2016, 05:58 AM

311 posts, read 477,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Just a FYI, the Shuttle, Space Station, Apollo (after 1) ran a more "Air" like environment.

I would think the would have to have some kind of "outlet" in the Space Station as its a long term with different experiments going up with each Re-Supply mission. The astronaut have personal thing like Laptops, tablets, IPods that need charging.
On the ground (during testing), yes; there was a Nitrogen / Oxygen mix. But in space, (at least for Apollo), the environment was 5 psi pure oxygen.

Less of a fire risk then 16 psi oxygen (as was used for Apollo 1), but arcing was still considered unacceptable.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_Urns View Post
There is a risk of arcing when you mate / de-mate a "plug" into an outlet, which is not a good thing in a pure oxygen environment.
Space shuttle and the ISS (along with Mir and Soyuz I believe) do not use a pure oxygen environment. They use an atmosphere that is close to sea level.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:50 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_Urns View Post
On the ground (during testing), yes; there was a Nitrogen / Oxygen mix. But in space, (at least for Apollo), the environment was 5 psi pure oxygen.

Less of a fire risk then 16 psi oxygen (as was used for Apollo 1), but arcing was still considered unacceptable.
Mercury and Gemini used pure oxygen. One of the results of the Apollo 1 fire was to rethink that. In subsequent Apollo missions, on the pad they used a nitrogen/oxygen mix then purged the nitrogen during ascent.

The space shuttle always used a standard atmosphere mix, as does the ISS and Soyuz. By standardizing on that it made interoperability between the programs easier.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
I believe astronauts still use pure oxygen on an EVA, because the pressure in the suits is so low. I think it's about .3 atmospheres, and at that pressure, a sea-level oxygen concentration wouldn't provide enough oxygen to sustain life. Astronauts would also get the bends. In order to get the nitrogen flushed out of their systems, they need to pre-breathe pure oxygen for several hours before their spacewalk, to prevent that.

Inside the ISS, though, it is standard atmosphere. I think Skylab used a very high oxygen atmosphere, but even that wasn't pure - 70% or 75%, something like that. Probably made it burn a little brighter when it re-entered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation