Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:59 AM

18,921 posts, read 27,410,665 times

Advertisements

Humans, just humans.
As far as the facade looks imposing and professional, that's all passengers - and people - care about. Same is at any dealership or anywhere else. You hand your car to Mr Nice at the counter, then it goes into hands of some fella that, well, you know.
How is aircraft industry different? Or police? Or , military?
propaganda presents them as iconic figures of honesty and professionalism.
But, behind that facade, humans, only humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 11:06 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
You're right, that is troubling!

I'd be all for them giving a mandatory breathalyzer before each flight in the interest of safety. That way, all of the unprofessional "professional" pilots could be weeded out.
I've found over the years that it's wise to take any aviation reporting from the MSM with a grain of salt and often the entire shaker is required.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Humans, just humans.
As far as the facade looks imposing and professional, that's all passengers - and people - care about. Same is at any dealership or anywhere else. You hand your car to Mr Nice at the counter, then it goes into hands of some fella that, well, you know.
How is aircraft industry different? Or police? Or , military?
propaganda presents them as iconic figures of honesty and professionalism.
But, behind that facade, humans, only humans.
You might have missed the point of this thread. iconic figures of honesty and professionalism? We're happy with sober!

And when you strap on a 45 ton machine, with a few hundred passengers doing 300 mph at 30,000 feet above the earth, THAT'S REALLY DIFFERENT.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:53 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,572,663 times
Resurrecting my old thread, I just saw this news report today about a very drunk pilot, albeit not in the states. The same report happens to note that on average, one pilot per month here in the states is arrested for being over the legal limit.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/video/pilo...234532615.html

Old 01-01-2017, 05:18 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,172,248 times
I know a few professional commercial airline pilots and none of them drink alcohol before flying (and one of them doesn't even drink alcohol at all!).

Old 01-02-2017, 11:13 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,897,568 times
Another a Fox article. Another drunk pilot. Police: Airline pilot found passed out in cockpit was drunk | Fox News

Old 01-02-2017, 01:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 4,390,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I think this happens for often then you think. We hear about this happening every now and then. That's just the ones that are caught. How often have you heard in a crash investigation, and said it was pilot error.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:05 PM

46,892 posts, read 25,860,181 times
The safety record for US commercial aviation seems to indicate a high competence level - if there was a systemic problem, you'd see it reflected in the numbers.

Name one profession that won't have its bad apples.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
Years ago, I was air terminal chief at a large naval transport squadron, both passengers and cargo. I was in charge of the air terminal every other 24 hour period. My responsibility was all passengers and cargo passing through that base for overseas transport. Also the fight orderlies who were not flying that day who would work at the terminal. I was there for 2 years. I was on a good relationship with all the pilots. I never saw one pilot or crew that were not sober and ready to fly. Some of them I knew partied, when off duty but when it came time to fly they were ready to go, rested and sober. If a pilot was drunk or under the influence, the other crew members would have demanded he was not flying that day. It is their own lives they were looking out for, as well as the passengers.

I would have to turn the plane over to the flight crew, and sign it off to them after cargo was aboard, and the passengers were ready to board. They would enter the plane ahead of he passengers. If any of them had any sign of being drinking or using drugs, I would have not turned the plane over to them, until that person was replaced.

A drunk pilot would be a very rare happening. I never saw one. Crew members like to live enough, that they are not going to fly with a drunk pilot. I know some of the especially young pilots would party hard some times, but still did it a couple of days before the next time they fly.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:01 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,079,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
2004-2008 (5 years) of accidents only two 121 (airline) pilots were found to have taken drugs in post accident toxicology. One had Tylenol one had Benadryl in his system. No narcotics or alcohol. This is a non-story. The % is so beyond small that you have a greater chance of getting hit by lightening.

Yup.....

In my 31 years of airline flying, I have never, not once, run into anyone at work that was unfit to fly due to alcohol or drugs, nor have I heard of anyone at any of my jobs being so.

Every so often, the news will report a story on a "drunk" pilot, many of which end up being false accusations, but you never hear about the second part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation