Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:05 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,909 times

Advertisements

Recent acts of war aside, air travel everywhere has had an improving safety record in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:59 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,578 times
weve been getting good flight prices to SW FL through SWA...

Old 05-19-2016, 10:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
I heard on Denver TV news today that airfare prices are down 26% from a year ago. That's a healthy drop.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:57 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I heard on Denver TV news today that airfare prices are down 26% from a year ago. That's a healthy drop.
sounds like you are lucky enough to be on route with competition. Not all of us are.

Airlines in the USA are making lots of money because our weak federal government allowed them to merge to avoid competing. They are also hugely protected against any and all foreign competition under the pretense of safety. Just as the EU protects a bunch of agricultural markets due to "safety" concerns...

If our markets were actual opened up to competitors (with high safety standards) we would see prices slashed as point to point competitors opened new routes with low prices.

I commonly fly around the EU for peanuts.

Oh and if you are flying around the EU get your flights booked through eu sites you will save a massive amount of money and still get whatever service level you want ...

Old 05-20-2016, 03:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
sounds like you are lucky enough to be on route with competition. Not all of us are.

Airlines in the USA are making lots of money because our weak federal government allowed them to merge to avoid competing. They are also hugely protected against any and all foreign competition under the pretense of safety. Just as the EU protects a bunch of agricultural markets due to "safety" concerns...

If our markets were actual opened up to competitors (with high safety standards) we would see prices slashed as point to point competitors opened new routes with low prices.

I commonly fly around the EU for peanuts.

Oh and if you are flying around the EU get your flights booked through eu sites you will save a massive amount of money and still get whatever service level you want ...
First the airlines made no money prior to consolidation. They lost on the order of tens of billions collectively.

Second flying in Europe is not comparable to the US. Coast to coast in the US is much, much further than most routes in Europe.

Here is a fun map that shows just how large ONE US state is compared to Europe. Of course it's cheaper, the distances are 1/4 as much.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:46 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The reason to be against NAI is because they will be using contracted crew from Asia under their labor laws, not European. If you are OK with allowing America's airlines to be gutted like the maritime industry was, pull for them to succeed.
So... everyting in your house and garage is made in the USA???? And people outside the US are stoopid??????/ Sure.. the tests at schools are a tell all....
I will fly out of Canada. Half as cheap, same planes.... Got a little extra money to do fun stuff, Wall street has enough, and I had enough of Wallstreet.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
I don't get it. The airlines have been ravaged over the past decade, and finally make a respectable profit, and people are pissed about it. They're businesses after all. It's like people think they have a right to cheap air travel.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,332 times
Making money is just fine, taking all my money is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation