Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

would it be more comforting to die falling out of a window, or in an auto accident, or by some idiot sticking a knife in your heart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Dying in a plane crash absolutely freaks me out
That's why one should always carry a cyanide pill on their person. So, as your spinning out of control, and before you reach the Earth, take a last bite.
Just make sure you get the timing right.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:47 PM

366 posts, read 432,726 times
well, in a plane crash, it would seem that you would most certainly be aware of the fact that you are in a 400 mph vertical dive to the earth...or worse, the ocean.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:04 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
With a car or train crash there's still a feeling that something can be done.
Driving on the road freaks me out. Every day, every day there is a car accident. Crazy drivers out there. Crazy distracted drivers. And it is getting worse with the cell phones.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:24 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Any type of violent death freaks me out if I dwell on it. Odds are it would happen in a car and not a plane crash. But hopefully we all die peacefully in our sleeps.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:51 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
For some reason falling into the sea in a plane crash scares me more , daft I know.... I was on a plane going over Greece that couldnt land because of heavy mist on the island runway.. and the pilot decided it was too dangerous as the airstrip is right next to the sea so he circled the island four or five times then announced to us that he was running out of fuel..... you could feel the panic racing through the plane. even the cabin crew were scared looking... and it all got out of control... ... and we had plenty of time to think about what might happen.... its a long story so wont go into it all...

Old 05-21-2016, 02:40 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I agree with those that say falling into the ocean in a plane is terrifying. Just imagine it, you're in a plane uncontrollably falling out of the sky into a massive expanse of blue water. In a typical human perspective, a plane is a large object. But in the ocean's perspective, you're just a tiny blip. The ocean is beautiful but make no mistake, she don't play around. She is as merciless as she is deep. You're in that narrow airplane as it descends into the ocean, sinking at an angle, going deeper into the wide blue, and water soon fills the interior. It is such a hopeless and TERRIFYING way to go.

It's also more surreal when you consider that airplanes are shaped like whales, and there's some heavy poetic irony in a man-made flying whale, dying in the ocean. How's that for imagery, fellow submechanophobes!

Old 05-21-2016, 03:29 AM

786 posts, read 810,995 times
When I faced dying in a plane crash I was surprised at how brave or fatalistic I became. To cut it short, I was calm then; but, on escaping the scene, the horror of it became apparent to me. For sure, in normal circumstances I'm nowhere near as brave as that. And, on reflection, I'd say that perishing in a plane crash may be less horrific than expiring from inhaling superheated watervapour in the engineroom of a torpedoed steamer, or having no option but to breathe the unimaginably hot air that can come to pervade the environs of an erupting volcano

Last edited by OldChina; 05-21-2016 at 04:18 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 03:43 AM

786 posts, read 810,995 times
Years ago, an acquaintance of mine, responded to my observation that his lifestyle was remarkably risky by telling me that it would be nobler to die in the crash of a sporstscar-to-die-for or the spectacular explosion of a fighterplane or rocketship than to succumb to, say, senility or infection. And maybe there's some truth in that. He died, soon afterwards, in a Powerboat crash

Last edited by OldChina; 05-21-2016 at 04:00 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 05:36 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
When I faced dying in a plane crash I was surprised at how brave or fatalistic I became. To cut it short, I was calm then; but, on escaping the scene, the horror of it became apparent to me. For sure, in normal circumstances I'm nowhere near as brave as that. And, on reflection, I'd say that perishing in a plane crash may be less horrific than expiring from inhaling superheated watervapour in the engineroom of a torpedoed steamer, or having no option but to breathe the unimaginably hot air that can come to pervade the environs of an erupting volcano
How did you survive OldChina??

Was it pure luck or were you able to do something like moving or jumping from plane??

How was it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation