Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:29 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,895,538 times

Advertisements

there's evidence that suggests that those on the flight deck on the Challenger shuttle survived the initial explosion and activated their personal oxygen systems and were likely alive until the impact with the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 12:45 PM

128 posts, read 101,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I don't know what it is but every time I look at a plane it freaks me out. Just the massive machinery and the way the windows are all lined up. The wreckage is scary to look at. With a car or train crash there's still a feeling that something can be done. From a philosophical perspective also..Its just so strange to die so...suddenly without much afterthought. You life just ends. And because there are so many with you it makes it stranger. Like why do I work out, or try to meditate when life is so fleeting.

With any other death I don't feel this way. Heart attack, Cancer, even random murder doesn't seem so distressing. I look at the faces of the victims of MH17 often and a strange feeling comes over me/
Aircraft being shot down or blown up from the inside, that is one thing. Rare occurrence. But aircraft travel is surprisingly safe. Taking off is super easy. Landing has its challenges especially in high winds. If you would like to overcome your fear maybe you can learn more about flying as a pilot. Maybe visit an FBO that charters private flights in big business jets like Gulfstream G500 or G600.

If they have them on the ground you can probably go on board and sit down for a moment and at least have a different perspective--at least its not an airliner!

These days, the computers in commercial aircraft make it nearly impossible to crash the things even if the pilots wanted to. I must say that the two most dangerous times in a flight are just before landing and the moments just after takeoff up to maybe about 10,000 feet above ground level (i.e. once you're high enough to do an emergency landing--depends on where you are)--engine failure on takeoff takes a skilled and sober pilot to recover from ESPECIALLY if it is a multi-engine aircraft, there is a tendency of the aircraft to spin a bit if one of the engines goes out (i.e. failure of engine means suddenly less push on one side). A single engine aircraft with engine in center-line (such as a Pilatus PC-12) are actually safer from that perspective except there is just one single engine. But if the engine fails on takeoff, that tendency to jerk to one side isn't there on a single-engine aircraft.

Maybe your fear is really an opportunity to learn and master something you never thought you'd learn or master. Some air traffic control towers allow tours and visits. There is a shortage in the ATC field. If you are the type who can maintain calm and clear thinking under pressure, it just might be a great job area for you.

Last edited by CaptainCommander; 05-25-2016 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 01:09 PM

16,482 posts, read 19,517,698 times
I had a friend that was very scared to fly. She finally got the nerve to around her 27th birthday. This one group of stats I gave to her made her feel much better about it.

Every single day, 250 planes takeoff or and at Cleveland Hopkins International. I was actually surprised at that number.
CLE is one dinky airport when you compare it to the major cities, like LA, CHI, Washington, Miami...
250. A day. From our airport.
Imagine what O' Hare does. Kennedy. BWI.
Yes, you can look this stuff up...this was just what I was telling her 'on the fly'.
Now.... how many crashes are there? A couple a year? At best?

She flew to LA. And then became addicted to flying. She pretty much went somewhere every 2 months after that first flight for a year.

Dear OP; Don't let this crazy fear force you to BOAT around the world.

From Jan 1, 2014 to Sept 24, 2014: 585,517 planes took off or landed at O'Hare in Chicago.
That's one busy airport in the USA. Just one. Not even a full year.

According to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rcial_aircraft

There were 8 signifigant crashes in 2014. 8....

Old 05-25-2016, 01:38 PM

128 posts, read 101,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I had a friend that was very scared to fly. She finally got the nerve to around her 27th birthday. This one group of stats I gave to her made her feel much better about it.

Every single day, 250 planes takeoff or and at Cleveland Hopkins International. I was actually surprised at that number.
CLE is one dinky airport when you compare it to the major cities, like LA, CHI, Washington, Miami...
250. A day. From our airport.
Imagine what O' Hare does. Kennedy. BWI.
Yes, you can look this stuff up...this was just what I was telling her 'on the fly'.
Now.... how many crashes are there? A couple a year? At best?

She flew to LA. And then became addicted to flying. She pretty much went somewhere every 2 months after that first flight for a year.

Dear OP; Don't let this crazy fear force you to BOAT around the world.

From Jan 1, 2014 to Sept 24, 2014: 585,517 planes took off or landed at O'Hare in Chicago.
That's one busy airport in the USA. Just one. Not even a full year.

According to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rcial_aircraft

There were 8 signifigant crashes in 2014. 8....
A friend of mine had a plane and I would co-pilot with him sometimes. If a friend of ours or his came into town, we might take them with us. At one point in the flight, say you happened to be in the back seat. He would give me "the signal" or "the look". If I nodded he would barrel roll the aircraft and do acrobatics. If I shook me head, he wouldn't. Of course, you'd have absolutely no say in it whatsoever. In all my wisdom, I would consider whether or not you had recently eaten runny food and drank a lot of juice (as in, how much vomit did I stand to be wearing after all was said and done?) I know..deep and compassionate thinking. TYVM.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:40 PM

569 posts, read 547,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Alaska 261 is the one that really haunts me. I can only imagine the terror experienced by the passengers and crew, a terror that was not quick or fleeting, but was, in fact, protracted. After that first dive, in which the plane went nose down and plunged several thousand feet only to be recovered, the passengers had to be panicking and screaming and trembling with fear. They had no idea if the plane was hit by something, or if the plane was malfunctioning, and they had to be fearful of the plane losing control again, which it did. That first dive had to have been terrifying. Then, several minutes later, the plane plunged nose-down and crashed into the ocean, twisting and inverting on its way down. What terror. Those poor passengers. They endured a very long ordeal.

The Mid-air crash between the DHL cargo plane and the Russian jet over southern Germany was horrific as well. Passengers were flung out of the Russian jet at 35,000 feet or thereabouts; the DHL jet sliced the Russian jet in half.
LOL I finally see your problem. You are a mama boy.

Although I can't guarantee what I would react in those times. But I don't think my male Pekingese pet dog would be as scared as you do. It would probably let out a growl, then watches the waters before falling into them. Observe an animal from the 'ord God your Father, boy.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:42 AM

14,410 posts, read 20,482,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Alaska 261 is the one that really haunts me. I can only imagine the terror experienced by the passengers and crew, a terror that was not quick or fleeting, but was, in fact, protracted.
A crash that was preventable by the pilots. The discussion about the stabilizer started at 15:27.
Emergency at 16:09.
The pilots spent then 30 minutes trying to find a fix. While they were over land for 30 whole minutes they should have immediately descended and landed anywhere. Their continued efforts to solve the issue doomed the plane.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:41 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,747,639 times
A crash isn't necessarily a death sentence. Plenty of people walk away. Sometimes even when the aircraft completely breaks apart at altitude.

The woman who fell to earth - Telegraph

Or these guys. Not only did they survive, but they got to camp out in the mountains for several weeks, and even did a little peak-bagging.

'I had to eat piece of my friend to survive' | Daily Mail Online

So cheer up!

Old 05-26-2016, 12:07 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,300,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
A crash that was preventable by the pilots. The discussion about the stabilizer started at 15:27.
Emergency at 16:09.
The pilots spent then 30 minutes trying to find a fix. While they were over land for 30 whole minutes they should have immediately descended and landed anywhere. Their continued efforts to solve the issue doomed the plane.
Alaska Airlines dispatch was trying to persuade the pilots to continue on into San Francisco; something about not wanting to disrupt the schedule flow. Ultimately, the pilot decided to try to land at LAX, but he wanted to try and troubleshoot over the water in order to ensure he would be able to control the plane adequately to land it. That move probably saved lives over land.

And the previous pilots who flew that Alaska jet reported problems with the stabilizer as well. The plane never should have left Puerto Vallarta.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,899,326 times
Come fly with me, you will never be afraid of anything again.

I've only crashed once.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:50 PM

50,085 posts, read 63,445,200 times
For me, it is more of the horror of knowing the plane is about to crash, than it is the dying instantly. Millions of people are afraid to fly, not just op.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation