Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Commercial Pilot X Freight Pilot X Private Pilot
Commercial Pilot 0 0%
Freight Pilot 5 71.43%
Private Pilot 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:10 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times

Advertisements

Hello my friends!! Just curious which would you choose if you could?
Work as commercial pilot on any of the big airlines
Work as a pilot for UPS DHL etc
Work as a pilot for a private jet charter company
Also tell us why?
I would go private charter.
I flew once on a learjet 35 and loved it. In my opinion flying small jets is where you can really get some adrenaline pumping. I think it the closest you get to what it should feel like to fly. Thoughts, comments, stories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 07:15 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,959 times
Your poll isn't going to give you the information you want to know. Do you understand the definition of Private Pilot and Commercial Pilot? I don't think you do.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:09 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
"Private pilot certification" means you can fly but can't be paid for it. If you want paid, you must first get a commercial license.

I've done a little charter flying and didn't care for it, but it was in all in single-engine planes. It was also a part-time gig. I had another job that was pretty flexible, so if the charter company needed me they'd call, then I had the option of accepting the flight or not. What I didn't like about it was the waiting... fly the client to his destination, then wait for him to be ready for the return trip. It might be an hour or might be all day long.

I'm too old now, but if I could have landed a job as an airline pilot 30-35 years ago, I'd have grabbed it.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:17 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,627 times
You left out the best choice in my opinion, corporate pilot. Working for a fortune 500 company offers great pay and benefits. You'll be flying the most up to date equipment. Excellent training in facilities like Flightsafety and normally flying with a handful of the same pilots.

Corporate Pilot Salary and Job description > Interviews – Career Options

Old 06-18-2016, 08:37 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
The best is to get a good career that pays a lot of money, then buy you own aircraft and fly where you want, when you want , and stay for as long as you want.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:37 AM

48 posts, read 38,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
"Private pilot certification" means you can fly but can't be paid for it. If you want paid, you must first get a commercial license.

I've done a little charter flying and didn't care for it, but it was in all in single-engine planes. It was also a part-time gig. I had another job that was pretty flexible, so if the charter company needed me they'd call, then I had the option of accepting the flight or not. What I didn't like about it was the waiting... fly the client to his destination, then wait for him to be ready for the return trip. It might be an hour or might be all day long.

I'm too old now, but if I could have landed a job as an airline pilot 30-35 years ago, I'd have grabbed it.
I too have done and do charter work and it's good. It pays well, I do the hours I need and I can be fairly choosy about it. Of course if I say "No" too often to too many companies they'll stop asking me.

Being a helicopter pilot the option of regularly flying freight or passengers for a company is borderline non-existent. I think there are 3/4 companies in the UK that 'employ' full time pilots.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:16 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,243 times
It really depends on the company you're working for.

A great airline job is better than a crummy corporate job and vice versa etc..

Having flown charter, corporate, freight, commuter and major airline jobs, my preference is:

A tie between a major airline and a big freight company, (which are pretty much limited to Fedex or UPS).

A good corporate job

Charter ops.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:49 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
It really depends on the company you're working for.

A great airline job is better than a crummy corporate job and vice versa etc..

Having flown charter, corporate, freight, commuter and major airline jobs, my preference is:

A tie between a major airline and a big freight company, (which are pretty much limited to Fedex or UPS).

A good corporate job

Charter ops.
Ditto your choices as well. Corporate jobs can be good, but the good ones are extremely hard to come by. And the bad ones can be REALLY bad.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:42 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,959 times
Pilots choose based on salary and quality of life. The phrase "adrenaline pumping" identified the OP as a fanboy, and not worthy of further discussion.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Pilots choose based on salary and quality of life. The phrase "adrenaline pumping" identified the OP as a fanboy, and not worthy of further discussion.
Yeah, if my "adrenaline" is "pumping" at work, that's NOT a good thing..........

My adrenaline DOES pump on the drive home before a long vacation though.... Mainly because I can look forward to several weeks/months of not having to deal with the constant BS that this job has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation