Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 08:20 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,698,013 times

Advertisements

July 17, 1996 TWA 800
July 17, 2014 MH17
RIP
It seems whoever responsible for either of the two tragedies have never been brought to justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:52 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,840,483 times
Within this video is a new mini-doco on the MH17 crash, featuring the victims-country of the tragedy - Malaysia, who were initially not allowed to partake in the primary investigation. Five years on, the questions remain - who allowed the commercial passenger jet into a war-zone? Why did the FBI collect the black boxes? Why is the official Dutch investigation unable to answer simple queries?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7drI...em-uploademail

Old 07-30-2019, 01:06 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
The US military probably brought down TWA 800.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:54 PM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Honestly, it never made complete 100% sense to me that it just 'blew up' over LI sound in shooting range of a vessel ship... TWA800 plane was 26 years old, but younger than most other 741s airline's were flying and just received 2-3 hours of maintenance after it landed from Athens. Personally to me, it looks like a terrible cover up. If the US govt were to cover this up... atleast make it somewhat realistic.. jeez.

Its like saying 3 and 3 were added together, so we had 7 in the end.

TWA has always been my favorite airline.. even though I had less than 7 years to fly the beautiful airline until its demise ... I had the luxury of flyng BOS-STL-MCO-STL, BOS-SJU-SDQ-SJU-BOS, BOS-STL-CUN-STL-BOS, BOS-JFK-MCO-JFK-BOS, BOS-STL-MCO-STL-BOS and BOS-STL-BOS all before Dec 2, 2001... what a shame. Still have a boarding pass from April 4th, 1999 on my Boston - San Juan flight hidden away somewhere.

Its sad to because someone I know also has the TWA permission to fly STL-FRA in 1999 that obviously never happened.. but to think.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:18 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I doubt it for two main reasons.

First of all, there are lots of countries around the world that do not like having the US Navy off their coasts. If there was a plausible chance that the US shot down the aircraft, don't you think that those countries would be screaming?

As that none of them did, it seems unlikely that a missile did it.

Secondly, there are those eyewitnesses that say they saw a missile and heard a boom and I believe them. I believe that they believe that is what they saw.

I also believe, however, that what they saw was a demonstration of the speed of light and the speed of sound. What they saw was the flaming aircraft with its nose blown off going into a climb. The image of that reached them first because light travels faster. The boom they heard was the nose being blown off but since the speed of sound is a lot slower than light, the boom reached them after the event they witnessed.

TWA 800 was blown up by an accidental event in its fuel tanks being heated on the ground to an explosive temperature. What we don't know was what caused the ignition, what was the spark, what was the source. As things go, I am willing to go with that it was hit by a micrometeorite than any conspiracy theory.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:35 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,458 times
I too never really bought into the "800 was shot down by a missile" theory either. Mainly for the reasons that Tamara mentioned, but also WHY would they have shot it down? None of the conspiracy theories involving that event that I've read ever came with an accompanying motive.

When the US shot down that Iran Air Airbus back in '88, it took, what? Maybe a minute for the truth to come out? That the Captain of the Viccennes was a bloodthirsty lunatic looking for something....anything...to shoot to smithreens.

The Gov't couldn't cover up 800 even if was behind it and wanted to.

N93119 (the tail number of the TWA 747) was just old and decrepit. And it exploded. End of story.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I doubt it for two main reasons.

First of all, there are lots of countries around the world that do not like having the US Navy off their coasts. If there was a plausible chance that the US shot down the aircraft, don't you think that those countries would be screaming?

As that none of them did, it seems unlikely that a missile did it.

Secondly, there are those eyewitnesses that say they saw a missile and heard a boom and I believe them. I believe that they believe that is what they saw.

I also believe, however, that what they saw was a demonstration of the speed of light and the speed of sound. What they saw was the flaming aircraft with its nose blown off going into a climb. The image of that reached them first because light travels faster. The boom they heard was the nose being blown off but since the speed of sound is a lot slower than light, the boom reached them after the event they witnessed.

TWA 800 was blown up by an accidental event in its fuel tanks being heated on the ground to an explosive temperature. What we don't know was what caused the ignition, what was the spark, what was the source. As things go, I am willing to go with that it was hit by a micrometeorite than any conspiracy theory.
JetA, even its vapors, does not explode. It's kerosene. Very heavy. Billions of flights prior (and years afterward) to TWA "blowing up" before nitrogen inerters were installed yet no previous planes ever have had that issue? There are even planes flying today at major carriers Delta and AA that don't have them installed.

Nope not believing it. Sorry. And I have a fairly good technical background on the subject.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:30 PM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I too never really bought into the "800 was shot down by a missile" theory either. Mainly for the reasons that Tamara mentioned, but also WHY would they have shot it down? None of the conspiracy theories involving that event that I've read ever came with an accompanying motive.

When the US shot down that Iran Air Airbus back in '88, it took, what? Maybe a minute for the truth to come out? That the Captain of the Viccennes was a bloodthirsty lunatic looking for something....anything...to shoot to smithreens.

The Gov't couldn't cover up 800 even if was behind it and wanted to.

N93119 (the tail number of the TWA 747) was just old and decrepit. And it exploded. End of story.
Actually TWA800s was the youngest 741 on the fleet... and one of the youngest 741/742s served by US Airlines at the time.

Even after it came out of a 2-3 hour maintenance tune up it was given the all clear. I highly doubt the plane would have exploded. Im not saying it was shot out of the sky.. I just dont want to dismiss that as an option. It just seems veeerryyy unlikely that America's top airline with the best maintenance record would randomly explode a 12 minutes after take off. Yes it was an old plane, but not any older than its peer 741s and 742s across multiple airlines.

Also I wouldnt bring up the Iran situation.. its a little different when your dealing with international crisis' like that in compared to a domestic vessel bringing down a plane of their own flag on their own turf.

We may never know what actually happened.. but Im not completely throwing out any option.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 07-30-2019 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 06:38 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Actually TWA800s was the youngest 741 on the fleet... and one of the youngest 741/742s served by US Airlines at the time.
It was still old, with a lot of hours on it.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It was still old, with a lot of hours on it.
Old in airplane terms is not the same as car terms. Aircraft are ripped down to their frames and rebuilt from the ground up every 6 years or so.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation