Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy an Economy Basic seat, just to save $20-30 and only be able to carry a small book bag
Yes 6 11.76%
No 34 66.67%
Might just fly Spirit/Frontier for even less instead 11 21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:58 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,793,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
While the Northwest-Delta merger wasn't perfect, it seemed like the new company genuinely did their research, tried to take the best best practices from both sides, and made good progress on creating a corporate culture of 'We're all Delta now.' Meanwhile United Continental got bogged down in turf wars between pre-merger United and pre-merger Continental factions even as the new company tried to cut costs in the consolidation to the detriment of passengers. As of mid-2016 at least, the airline could not mix pm-United and pm-Continental flight attendants on the same flight, something that is going to play havoc with scheduling and continue to egg on the factions.

Post-merger American seems have watched and learned from both of those previous mergers.
I'll agree with this mostly. I think if anybody got burned by the DL/NW merger it was probably the ex-NW flight attendants that gave up concessions in a vote that ultimately led to unification of the two subsidiaries. Granted, Northwest's flight attendant morale at the time of the merger was known to be pretty dismal anyway.

American did take note of what worked and what didn't for both mergers and is a cash cow as a result. Despite all that, they are poorly ranked operationally and on a customer service level.

United and Continental was a total disaster with Smisek being forced to resign - He's on the same level as a Frank Lorenzo type.. They were not profitable until recently and still can't compete operationally or financially with Delta. Sad thing is work groups technically won't be merged until 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:01 AM

43,303 posts, read 44,021,329 times
Charging to use the overbin as well as for one's first piece of checked-in baggage is absolutely ridiculous as far as I am concerned.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:54 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,086,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Charging to use the overbin as well as for one's first piece of checked-in baggage is absolutely ridiculous as far as I am concerned.
I think the whole fee is basically....you can fly with a book bag, but if you want to use the overhead bin, there will be a fee. At that point, im sure they might as well just buy a regular economy ticket.

If United prices these basic economy with no baggage right, they can take alot of business from Frontier and Spirit, because the seats on Frontier & Spirit SUCK.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM

26,155 posts, read 21,391,991 times
AA just sent me an email announcing this same class of service

Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 AM

10,302 posts, read 7,892,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
AA just sent me an email announcing this same class of service
I received that email, too. And though the email didn't say anything about overhead bins, "1 item that fits under the seat (no access to overhead bins)" is literally the first restriction you see when you click on the email link to learn more. So now we know: American's version of Basic Economy is going to be just like United's. Delta's is the outlier.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:06 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,561,453 times
What will they offer next? Slave racks in the unpressurized cargo hold?

Old 01-18-2017, 11:26 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,320,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I received that email, too. And though the email didn't say anything about overhead bins, "1 item that fits under the seat (no access to overhead bins)" is literally the first restriction you see when you click on the email link to learn more. So now we know: American's version of Basic Economy is going to be just like United's. Delta's is the outlier.
Delta already has basic economy as well. It closely matches the others.

They don't specifically state no use of overhead bins but by the time they board basic economy last there are no overhead bins available, so it's the same thing in reality.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What will they offer next? Slave racks in the unpressurized cargo hold?
Hey, if it knocks ten bucks off the fare price, I'm sure someone will buy it!

Last edited by Aredhel; 01-18-2017 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Delta already has basic economy as well. It closely matches the others.

They don't specifically state no use of overhead bins but by the time they board basic economy last there are no overhead bins available, so it's the same thing in reality.
Almost the same, but not quite. I suspect the Basic Economy flyers on Delta (because carryons aren't specifically prohibited, as they are on United and American) don't have to pay a fee to gate check them when they board and discover all the overhead bins are full and there's no room for their carryon. This makes Delta's version of Basic Economy marginally better than United's and American's. (But only marginally, as no one generally wants to gate check a carryon, since that defeats its purpose.)

Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,793,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Almost the same, but not quite. I suspect the Basic Economy flyers on Delta (because carryons aren't specifically prohibited, as they are on United and American) don't have to pay a fee to gate check them when they board and discover all the overhead bins are full and there's no room for their carryon. This makes Delta's version of Basic Economy marginally better than United's and American's. (But only marginally, as no one generally wants to gate check a carryon, since that defeats its purpose.)
Whoa no carry ons in Basic Economy? If that's the case, flying United is just as bad as flying Spirit

This a trend for the majors to really try to compete with the bottom feeders such as a Frontier, Allegiant, and Spirit. I see no harm in it, you get what you pay for. My beef with United is operationally they are still lagging entirely compared to Delta and financially to American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation