Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Stay in business? Did you not hear about the millions of dollars they made in profit last year? It's greed, pure and simple. Airlines are more interested in profit margins than they are their customers. Until customers refuse to allow themselves to be treated this way, it will remain the same.
A lot of the profits on US carriers right now are solely because of low fuel prices. Increase fuel prices by 50-75% to where they were a few years back and United and American are back to operating at a loss. And fuel price increases are likely because the Saudis seem to have decided to end their oil dump of recent years and are restricting production again.

As for better service, people aren't willing to pay for premium economy service over the long haul. Case study- Midwest Express, which had some profitable years but never fully recovered after 9/11 and eventually folded itself into LCC Frontier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 06:26 PM

31,894 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
How do customers refuse, though? Stop traveling? Drive across the country for a four-hour meeting? If folks are in agreement that service stinks across the board and there aren't alternative modes of transit that are fast enough to meet wants and needs, what other choice is there?
Since federal government helped drive the only real competition (railroads) out of business post WWII, there really aren't very many transportation options for consumers in most areas.

OTOH in Europe where HSR and or even fast regular train service is offered it can and has made a difference against airlines.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Simple. People are willing to pay for ****ty. Why is Motel 6 in business when people can stay at the Ritz-Carlton? Why is McDonald's in business when people can eat at Ruth's Steak House?
This.

I look at flying as no different than taking a local bus, a means to an end. If I can get there safely with less comfort, less perks, and ugly flight attendants but pay less I'm all in.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:29 PM

940 posts, read 968,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Since federal government helped drive the only real competition (railroads) out of business post WWII, there really aren't very many transportation options for consumers in most areas.

OTOH in Europe where HSR and or even fast regular train service is offered it can and has made a difference against airlines.
You realize Europe is significantly smaller than the US, right?

Here just see how large Texas compares....

Old 01-16-2017, 09:45 PM

31,894 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post

True, and no one is proposing a vast HSR ROW that would cross the USA. However there are plenty of short routes that could do rather well under HSR or even very fast standard service. The success of Amtrak's NEC has proven this to be true.

There is at lease one now abandoned ROW that is even a more direct route between NYC and Boston (the Air Line) that would hold out faster times than the current Amtrak ROW. Abandoned Rails: The Air Line

Probably a majority of such lines would be in the Northeast and or going up to Canada (Toronto, Quebec).

But there still could be service for Mid-west and Western states connecting major and or even some small areas.

Makes darn more sense IMHO than these "airports to nowhere" federal government keeps building that see very little use.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 PM

940 posts, read 968,468 times
K
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
True, and no one is proposing a vast HSR ROW that would cross the USA. However there are plenty of short routes that could do rather well under HSR or even very fast standard service. The success of Amtrak's NEC has proven this to be true.

There is at lease one now abandoned ROW that is even a more direct route between NYC and Boston (the Air Line) that would hold out faster times than the current Amtrak ROW. Abandoned Rails: The Air Line

Probably a majority of such lines would be in the Northeast and or going up to Canada (Toronto, Quebec).

But there still could be service for Mid-west and Western states connecting major and or even some small areas.

Makes darn more sense IMHO than these "airports to nowhere" federal government keeps building that see very little use.
How many airports do you think have been built (not expanded) in the last decade? How many have been closed?

Are you familiar with hub and spoke operation?

Amtrak is completely subsidized and runs at a huge annual loss. And they were handed their infrastructure for free and all mx is paid on it.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:53 PM

516 posts, read 429,152 times
Don't fly

Old 01-16-2017, 10:59 PM

758 posts, read 550,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post

That map doesn't look to scale. I though France and Texas where about the same size.

Second issue: The northeast corridor of the U.S. has train service, and they are constantly fighting Congress to keep it. Why no train service in other high-density areas, like the California coast, and the upper midwest (Detroit-Chicago-Minneapolis)? I suppose each Congressperson would want a stop in their town, which defeats the ability to make HSR. But the demand is there, just no political vision or wisdom.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:59 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Funny I was just reviewing ratings of Airlines since I'm flying Sri Lankan Air in 2 days (amazing how many of the airlines I've flown (estimate over 100 different airlines). I mostly hate flying US airways. I prefer Qatar, Emirates, Thai, Singapore and KLM in Europe. I will say US airlines have a good safety record which is the most important factor in the long run but on customer treatment, food, wines etc., they are far behind many others. By the way, Sri Lankan Air is rated much higher than any US airline and even higher than Emirates (we'll see about that).

Old 01-17-2017, 07:06 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
How do customers refuse, though? Stop traveling? Drive across the country for a four-hour meeting? If folks are in agreement that service stinks across the board and there aren't alternative modes of transit that are fast enough to meet wants and needs, what other choice is there?
Other than being rich enough to start your own airlines (are you listening Bill Gates?) I don't know the answer either. Perhaps stop flying with the worst offenders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation