Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 AM

2,453 posts, read 2,364,316 times

Advertisements

Yes my friends, no need to rub your eyes you are reading it right. A LATAM 767-300(PT-MSY) went on maintenance on 01/15/2017( 4 days ago) and the technicians found a .308 bullet whole with the bullet still inside on the left wing. They are not sure when the aircraft was shot, but they are certain that it was during flight(landing or take off). This plane is used for international routes, flying out of either GIG or GRU. The panes' last flight was from Barcelona to São Paulo( on the 14th of January. Before that, Sao Paulo to Barcelona( 13th), Lima to Sao Paulo( also 13th, day flight), and NYC to Sao Paulo on January 12th. It is also important to notice that this plane flies São Paulo to Rio de Janeiro( connection).
I translate the most important part of the article below.
Boeing da Latam foi atingido por tiro de fuzil em pleno voo - Poltica e Brasil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 02:43 AM

53 posts, read 48,071 times
Happens more than you would think. Depends what part of the world you're flying in.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:42 AM

24,207 posts, read 13,063,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellim113 View Post
Happens more than you would think. Depends what part of the world you're flying in.
Even in the US. During an operational readiness inspection the wing I was stationed at in Central Louisiana had to fly our A-10s to the same point, at around 500 feet, a couple hundred jets a day, and on one a post-flight inspection revealed a 30-06 hole in a wing. Good shot. The self-sealing fuel tank worked as Fairchild-Republic said it would. Because it didn't hit anything important (hydraulic lines, electric, engine) the pilot was totally unaware. I never heard if the shooter was found or not. Too bad the Hog Driver didn't know it and implement the right of self-protection.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,249,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Too bad the Hog Driver didn't know it and implement the right of self-protection.
I would have paid good money to see that!

Old 01-21-2017, 10:23 AM

21,023 posts, read 19,483,733 times
One night I was out on the flight line of a flight school preflighting a plane when I heard a "ping" that sounded like it came from a plane further down the line. A day or so later, I was preflighting another plane and noticed a hole in the top of the fuselage between the cabin and the tail. I told the mechanics about it and they found a bullet in the fuselage.

Odd thing was the bullet hole was in the top of the fuselage and I didn't hear a gunshot on the aforementioned night, so the bullet was probably returning to earth after being fired up in the air from some distance away.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:55 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,036,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I would have paid good money to see that!

Brrrrrrrt. Brrrrrrrrt. Dead.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,400,553 times
While employed at Douglas Aircraft in Malton, Canada and working on the wing manufacturing lines for the DC-10, we were informed mucho dollars were spent on replacing panels of full wing assemblies shipped down to California by rail as they arrived full of bullet holes.

Boeing Frontiers Online

UP DC-10 Wing Cars

Old 01-21-2017, 12:49 PM

24,207 posts, read 13,063,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
One night I was out on the flight line of a flight school preflighting a plane when I heard a "ping" that sounded like it came from a plane further down the line. A day or so later, I was preflighting another plane and noticed a hole in the top of the fuselage between the cabin and the tail. I told the mechanics about it and they found a bullet in the fuselage.

Odd thing was the bullet hole was in the top of the fuselage and I didn't hear a gunshot on the aforementioned night, so the bullet was probably returning to earth after being fired up in the air from some distance away.
A squadron mate of mine was gone back to his home in SC over the Christmas and New Years holidays. When he got back to the airport parking lot there was a hole in the roof of his CR-V and between the headliner and the hole was a spent 9mm round. The hole was irregular in shape so it must've been tumbling, and the round wasn't very deformed. Likely happened at midnight New Years as some mouthbreather decided to "celebrate" by firing a gun in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation