Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:37 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

It's irrational to be afraid of flying; it's not irrational to be afraid of crashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
It depends on what country you are flying from.. I fly twice a month and I have no qualms/fear of any sort of accident occurring just because I live in NW Europe and the airline that I fly frequently has yet to have a fatal crash in its 40 years of operation.

Other countries e.g. Georgia, Nepal etc do not maintain their planes efficiently. I wouldn't personally fly on a non American/Western European Airline e.g. if you are flying to Asia, fly Cathay Pacific/British Airways etc.

This is probably common sense, but it's the main reason why I have no fear of flying.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:11 AM

543 posts, read 943,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
It depends on what country you are flying from.. I fly twice a month and I have no qualms/fear of any sort of accident occurring just because I live in NW Europe and the airline that I fly frequently has yet to have a fatal crash in its 40 years of operation.

Other countries e.g. Georgia, Nepal etc do not maintain their planes efficiently. I wouldn't personally fly on a non American/Western European Airline e.g. if you are flying to Asia, fly Cathay Pacific/British Airways etc.

This is probably common sense, but it's the main reason why I have no fear of flying.
Not really. I've heard so many western airplanes crash i do t even bother anymore. On the other hand in my country india there s hardly been a crash especially with our premier flyer air india(kanishka 82 doesn't count it was a bomb).

It all depends. I would be hesitant to fly anything from Nigeria. But that's life. You just go with it.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:25 AM

22 posts, read 9,787 times
I have to fly I think 1 or 2 months after the trip to 5 countries to visit Bosnia and Herzegovina macedonia serbia fly like albania and montenegro so it is not a problem you will not be afraid

Old 02-14-2017, 05:48 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post

Those kind of statistics are always difficult. The old flagcarriers for example do not have the best history for fatals, because in the old days of flying security standards were just different, there were terror attacks (Lockerbie), there were air traffic problems, airplanes were shot down (Korean Air). But that does not make them unsafe.

On the other hand, new carriers such as Qatar Airways never had any fatals, but security standards behind the scenes are "difficult". I know several people from Lufthansa Technics in Germany and I know that they have are among the highest safety standards.
At the same time I flew on so many airlines where normal people would not even consider flying with. It is just a passion and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:39 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
Maybe stick to Legacy carriers then.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:40 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Well being that I am an ex-spurt on crashing airplanes on take off... and walking away, I can tell you it isn't the crash that kills you. It is what you hit or don't hit.

If you want to cure your fear of taking off just go find an aerobatic pilot to take you through a few spins and loops, and regular flying in a luxury jet will never scare you again. I'd offer to take you, but I crash too much.

And finally, look at the bright side. In a small plane there is a very good chance you will walk away from a crash, unless you hit a tree or stall. In a jet you are probably going to die very quick in a giant fireball. So don't worry about it.

Oh, and have a nice trip.
Do tell us your stories!

Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM

853 posts, read 647,636 times
Thank you for your answers. It's the take off that causes me some anxiety, in the rest of the flight I am calm. I would say that the worst part is when the plane is taxing and the "prepare for take off" announcement. The sound of engines, the bestial thrust and sometimes I feel scared when in runway the plane moves from left to right until rotates. Why I usually notice that the plane is moving from left to right randomly while taking off in runway? Another moment that causes me anxiety is when the trim is too high and the vertical speed drops suddenly, plus some turbulences that happens sometimes at > 5000 ft above the runway. I am not scared about turbulences at cruiser level but I am scared about turbulences in climbing phase, especially if happens just after rotating phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation