Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 04:42 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Why Check Your Bags When You Can Ship Them? | The Huffington Post

Above is an article about shipping your luggage instead of checking it in or carrying it on. But some businessmen do travel on very short notice. Is it possible to ship two suits, shoes, and shirts to a city and just store them there for months to be picked up when in town?

That way you just need to pack some socks and underwear in your briefcase and can leave on a few hours notice.
The big drawback to this would be the smells that your clothes might acquire while in storage. Where on earth would they be stored? Things that are packed away in airless containers get a musty odour after while. If the temperature fluctuates, clothing and leather can get moisture and even mold, eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 05:09 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
And this costs how much? Certainly much more than the airline's fees.
If its about the shipping price vs the airlines, its not for you. Its about less hassle. Yes at 40 I would not do it, at 60 I'll do it.
So I don't have to stand in line waiting, lifting etc my luggage.

It depend on the size of bag, weigh etc. Of course its more expensive. They come to your home and pick up your bag and deliver it back to your home. It leaves a few days before and gets back to your house a couple days after you do.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:34 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
The big drawback to this would be the smells that your clothes might acquire while in storage. Where on earth would they be stored? Things that are packed away in airless containers get a musty odour after while. If the temperature fluctuates, clothing and leather can get moisture and even mold, eventually.
I suppose your right. But let's talk about the ultimate businessman's transatlantic flight, on the seldom used Airbus 318 (the "baby bus"). It seats only 32 seats in 8 rows of lie flat seats and lands in London city airport with only a 5000 runway, three miles from Canary Wharf business center in London. You can even choose to dine at JFK before you board, so you can try and get a full 7 hours of sleep on the jet.

British Airways Flight #2 : New York JFK · London City
6:29 PM - 6:55 AM (7:26 minutes flying time 5 time zones) -

British airways gave these flights #1 and #2 which were the old Concorde flight numbers

Now hypothetically, the elite businessman is in a conference call, and they tell him he must get on the flight right after work and be in the London office as early as possible the next day. He takes the helicopter from Manhattan to JFK, grabs dinner, and is napping on the plane.

My question is what does he do about clothes? Does he buy some clothes at London airport? That may not be a big deal for socks and underwear and even a white shirt, but suits are not that easy. Does he keep a bag packed at all times in NYC? Does he carry his own bag? What if he stays for more than one day?

Now we could extend that to the female who needs a nice gown for a party. What if she doesn't have a week to ship things? Where does she ship them to?

Do people like this keep clothes someplace in London? I am presuming that they don't have millions of dollars for an apartment just for their trips.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:01 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

As such hotels have long been able to accept and store luggage in advance of a guest's arrival. It simply either goes to the package room, and or up to their rooms in advance of arrival.
I would check with the hotel in advance. Not all hotels are equip for that.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Why Check Your Bags When You Can Ship Them? | The Huffington Post

Above is an article about shipping your luggage instead of checking it in or carrying it on. But some businessmen do travel on very short notice. Is it possible to ship two suits, shoes, and shirts to a city and just store them there for months to be picked up when in town?

That way you just need to pack some socks and underwear in your briefcase and can leave on a few hours notice.
Perhaps it would be less expensive to pack a couple of shirts, ties in your carry on, and purchase a suit when you get there. Who, where would you store these things? Costs? How much does it cost to check 1 suitcase?

Do the cost comparison....It would be cheaper to pay the luggage fees imo.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I suppose your right. But let's talk about the ultimate businessman's transatlantic flight, on the seldom used Airbus 318 (the "baby bus"). It seats only 32 seats in 8 rows of lie flat seats and lands in London city airport with only a 5000 runway, three miles from Canary Wharf business center in London. You can even choose to dine at JFK before you board, so you can try and get a full 7 hours of sleep on the jet.

[.....]
Now we could extend that to the female who needs a nice gown for a party. What if she doesn't have a week to ship things? Where does she ship them to?

Do people like this keep clothes someplace in London? I am presuming that they don't have millions of dollars for an apartment just for their trips.
Executives do make use of services that ship clothing to the destination for them--I think they also take care of cleaning and pressing the clothes, and repack them to send them home. Works for short long-distance trips.

However: with a work schedule involving constant travelling, there are a few possibilities. Some business travellers stay at furnished suites in hotels that cater for long stays... and some companies will send execs and other staff to field trips for a few weeks at a time (or months even)... so they'd probably take a large amount of clothes with them, and expense the cleaning, and store them at the hotel, in the suite where they're staying. Ship everything back home after the trip's done.

I'm guessing it'd be quite unusual for a company to send staff on long trips internationally that only require a stay of a few days, months (years?) apart. Some rich folks maintain a "pied-à-terre" ("foot on the ground") apartment in a city that they frequently visit like NYC, etc., and they'd have their own personal stuff, wardrobe, etc. set up there. Maybe some companies expense such things? Don't know about that.

BTW, you can easily get a nice cocktail dress and dress shoes into a carry-on piece of luggage for a short trip, depends upon the fabric, but it can be done. Wouldn't leave it in a plastic box in a storage container in a warehouse for months on end, though.

About the businessman called to take the redeye on an urgent basis (internet, conference call from the first city not sufficient? Unlikely, but let's say he must close a deal in person, or sign something)... I'm going to guess he'll be stuck wearing his suit for one more day without the benefit of dry cleaning it. Underwear and socks/stockings? You can actually get those at major airports, new... personally, I'd rather wash them and hang them to dry before wearing them... but what can you do. Good question.

Nicer hotels have laundry service available -- so maybe they can do an emergency turnaround on the undergarments?

Last edited by Ottawa2011; 04-01-2017 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: undergarment mystery

Old 04-02-2017, 12:02 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
You won't catch me at the baggage claim area. I pack a few things in my carry-on and then hit the airport gift shop immediately after landing for some local souvenir tee shirts/hoodies.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
You won't catch me at the baggage claim area. I pack a few things in my carry-on and then hit the airport gift shop immediately after landing for some local souvenir tee shirts/hoodies.
I just did an unexpected overnight at Toronto after a connection was cancelled due to weather. Waited till 10am for the next one. Thank goodness I only had a carry-on to lug. Checked luggage=hassle. If someone has the option to ship stuff separately, and the cost makes sense, I say go for it. Less chance of it going astray... and you don't lug it around.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:09 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

Where do you think hotels are storing this luggage? Near or in rubbish rooms?

At the very best hotels luggage has and still is stored either in luggage rooms which are secure locations usually near the concierge desk area. Long as the baggage is sealed the only odors would be that of the contents.

Some hotels do have long term storage areas for things there were either left behind and or for when a guest does not arrive for various reasons. If you've watched enough old or new LE programs even historical ones such as those based upon Sherlock Holmes you'd know it was and is common for police to ask a hotel to produce unclaimed or baggage that arrived, but the guest did not.

Railroads in USA, Europe and elsewhere long have transported luggage ahead of a traveler. This was when it took days or weeks to get from say New York to California or London, England to Naples, Italy. Upon notice hotels would send someone to the docks or RR station to deposit and collect luggage.

Careering off into total fantasy it is how vampires managed to get themselves (and the crates of native burial ground earth they must rest upon), shipped all over the world.

You also have to remember persons often travelled with far more luggage than today, especially women and certain socio-economic classes. While the poor may have had just one small satchel containing all they owned, the wealthy had several trunks/cases. It is far easier to ship/move all that stuff on ahead than deal with it as one went.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Where do you think hotels are storing this luggage? Near or in rubbish rooms?

At the very best hotels luggage has and still is stored either in luggage rooms which are secure locations usually near the concierge desk area. Long as the baggage is sealed the only odors would be that of the contents.

Some hotels do have long term storage areas for things there were either left behind and or for when a guest does not arrive for various reasons. If you've watched enough old or new LE programs even historical ones such as those based upon Sherlock Holmes you'd know it was and is common for police to ask a hotel to produce unclaimed or baggage that arrived, but the guest did not.

Railroads in USA, Europe and elsewhere long have transported luggage ahead of a traveler. This was when it took days or weeks to get from say New York to California or London, England to Naples, Italy. Upon notice hotels would send someone to the docks or RR station to deposit and collect luggage.

Careering off into total fantasy it is how vampires managed to get themselves (and the crates of native burial ground earth they must rest upon), shipped all over the world.

You also have to remember persons often travelled with far more luggage than today, especially women and certain socio-economic classes. While the poor may have had just one small satchel containing all they owned, the wealthy had several trunks/cases. It is far easier to ship/move all that stuff on ahead than deal with it as one went.
I'm skeptical that any hotels, even chi-chi rich ones, have the facilities to store clothing for long periods of time (say, longer than 6 months) so that they can air out properly, as in, being hung up in a closet. Not realistic... unless you want your best business suits sitting in a crate with the lost and found umbrellas and forgotten guests' kids toys.

Experiment: Put some rolled or folded clothes into a closed suitcase for 6 months, leave them in the back of a closet, then take it out and open it again... and inhale deeply. What a lovely aroma that must produce. Clothing and leather will get musty in storage, and if the temperature isn't regulated (air conditioning and/or proper heating) and circulating, the fabric or leather will become damaged and develop mold. Clothing has to be properly cared for if it's going into longterm storage, and hotels simply don't offer any such service as that. If you know of one, post some evidence (not a reference to a Sherlock Holmes film, I hope).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation