Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 04:01 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Does not appear to have been an FA and it would normally not be. And the language in the regulation is vague on the point. For instance no one would claim a flight attendant is a member of a crew when off the airplane. I would think the authority of crew member or flight crew member on a parked airplane is limited. Clear once it is pushed.
vague language and there's also a good chance it could be found to be unconscionable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 04:07 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
He didn't hold up the plane. And it wasn't illegal. He PAID for the seat and he was seated. It was a done deal. If they overbooked the coach seating, United Air should have upgraded him to Business Class.
I agree he should not have been removed from the plane, but for the record it was a crappy regional jet an Embraer 170 it only holds 70 people, no business or first class.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:35 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
He didn't hold up the plane. And it wasn't illegal. He PAID for the seat and he was seated. It was a done deal. If they overbooked the coach seating, United Air should have upgraded him to Business Class. Not knock out his two front teeth and put him in the hospital.

He was seated first. So wasn't sitting there illegal. The 4 or so employees who didn't get to their seat should have waited for the next flight. They were late. Too bad too sad. That's not Mr. Dao's fault.
Right. I can't see how people could blame Mr. Dao. He did nothing wrong.

I'm still wondering why those 4 employees couldn't find other options for getting where they needed to be. But yes, if one is LATE somewhere then it's wrong to kick someone else out of their seat. I've seen this happen in other situations. It's just wrong. Want a seat? Get to where you need to be, ON TIME.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
1. Dr. Dao's past criminal history, his reputation as a doctor and his wife's reputation as a doctor are wholly irrelevant to this case.

2. All the legal opinions that I have read seem to think that Dr. Dao has a strong case against United. I have yet to see anyone provide an opinion that offers a contrary version.

3. This will never come to court because of the precedent that losing would have on United and other airlines. Lose the case and you probably have an avalanche of law suits from individuals who were 'bumped' once they were on the plane and seated.

4. Equally, the City of Chicago is likely to settle because a jury may well find that the force used by it's security officers was disproportionate to the threat posed by Dr. Dao. In addition, it would appear that the officers involved did not follow department protocol.

5. Because of the public reaction to this incident, airlines have been forced to modify their procedures with regard to compensation and involuntary 'bumping' which is a good thing for passengers. Who needs government regulation when you have cell phone video, social media and City-Data?

Old 04-19-2017, 05:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
1. Dr. Dao's past criminal history, his reputation as a doctor and his wife's reputation as a doctor are wholly irrelevant to this case.

2. All the legal opinions that I have read seem to think that Dr. Dao has a strong case against United. I have yet to see anyone provide an opinion that offers a contrary version.

3. This will never come to court because of the precedent that losing would have on United and other airlines. Lose the case and you probably have an avalanche of law suits from individuals who were 'bumped' once they were on the plane and seated.

4. Equally, the City of Chicago is likely to settle because a jury may well find that the force used by it's security officers was disproportionate to the threat posed by Dr. Dao. In addition, it would appear that the officers involved did not follow department protocol.

5. Because of the public reaction to this incident, airlines have been forced to modify their procedures with regard to compensation and involuntary 'bumping' which is a good thing for passengers. Who needs government regulation when you have cell phone video, social media and City-Data?
Well stated!! Can you kindly cite where the changes have transpired on Statement #5?As far as airlines being forced to modify? I haven't read that any of them made changes in policy.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:40 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you were a passenger on the flight they would have to cancel because they couldn't get a crew there in time, you would be thinking, "WTH is wrong with United. Why can't a big airline like them fly someone out from Chicago, one of the biggest hubs? They should have plenty of flights or extra planes to get them here." Of course, since they couldn't get a crew out there, now they have to spend tons of money putting people up in hotels, or routing them on other carriers. They may even need to reposition the aircraft for the next day. Airfare might have to go up to pay for all of that and more. It's just the way things worked before this incident.
Again the solution is for United to offer real money, not travel vouchers, to people so they'll volunteer to leave. Heck, unless I was going to a wedding or a funeral I'd take $2000 ($3000 in an expensive city like New York) to stay overnight, use the hotel pool and relax till the next day.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:41 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Well stated!! Can you kindly cite where the changes have transpired on Statement #5?As far as airlines being forced to modify? I haven't read that any of them made changes in policy.
Delta increased compensation to up to $10,000. United Airlines will no longer allow crew members to take the seats of passengers who have already boarded a plane and now “must-ride” bookings for crew members must be made at least 60 minutes prior to a flight’s departure. American updated its Conditions of Carriage stating that it “will not involuntarily remove a revenue passenger, who has already boarded”.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:05 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Again the solution is for United to offer real money, not travel vouchers, to people so they'll volunteer to leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Delta increased compensation to up to $10,000.
The joke among frequent flyers is that United's long-term plan for years has been basically "watch what Delta does, and copy it." Even before this incident, Delta was offering AmEx gift cards as an alternative to airline vouchers as compensation in VDB situations; now they've also given their gate agents the flexibility needed to sweeten the deal enough to get passengers to deplane willingly. C'mon, United, follow your usual pattern and copy Delta in this! For once, blindly copying Delta's moves would be GOOD for your passengers!

Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The guy didn't get beat up. He hit his face on the armrest. There's a difference. Why do you keep twisting what happened by saying he got beat up?
That's what they do.

If he gets paid, it's from bad PR. Not any legal reason.

They know what they doing.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:41 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
So, how about this? Next time I get pulled over, I'm refusing to get out of my car. Even if the cop tells me to get out. I'm just not gon do it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation