Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not sure what your first question is but if it were me I'm most likely not resisting to the extent this guy did. Mostly because my wife would kill me for throwing the fit especially if she already deplaned

My question was directed at poster who blamed the passenger for the entire matter.

I wouldn't have given up my seat either when asked after boarding. If wanted to do so would have taken United up on their offer at the gate or before. Obviously the doctor had some place to go and was counting on arriving when planned.

Furthermore merely disregarding a request to vacate a seat does *NOT constitute United having the rights to summon security to assault and man-handle a passenger to get him or her out of that seat. Again had it been me and they laid hands on me, then it would have been "on".

Telling airline flight crew "no" to a bumping request is *NOT* a crime. Nor is telling them to get lost either. Long as the doctor or any other passenger wasn't behaving violently or whatever that security crew had no right to put their hands on anyone. You see this now in that three or more of those rent a cops have been suspended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 PM

504 posts, read 300,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Well his sur name is Dao which is Vietnamese.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dao_(surname)

Sounds like the many in China need to bone up on names.
His name was not known when the Chinese equivalent of Twitter spread the pictures. I know many Chinese and Vietnamese, and I can understand why he was considered ethnically Chinese. Good move, United.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
As a matter of law, I think that is not true.

As a matter of fact, I KNOW that is not true.

I am not a lawyer, but, with respect to the law, I think their power to commandeer your seat applies before boarding. Once you've entered the plane, you have a reasonable expectation to be able to be taken to your destination on that plane, unless you do something that violates the law, such as refuse to follow a legal order of the crew. Failing to follow a crew order they give you that they do not have the right to give (such as, "Get off this plane, we are bumping you) does not count as violating their orders. Had they "randomly" selected him for bumping prior to boarding, then perhaps they have that power. But they can't force you off the plane without you having violated some regulation (other than "We're dictators and you do what we say").

With respect to the facts, if it were true that they can force you off purely for their convenience, no matter how much you refuse, then there would be no consequences for the airline upon forcing the person off the plane. As we have seen these last two or three days, there actually ARE consequences for the airline, and perhaps for the entire industry. So, even if they have the letter of the law on their side, which I doubt, they do not have the facts of the matter on their side.
Exactly! It's one thing if they forcibly bump you before you get on the plane. That definitely sucks, but at least you're told ahead of time & in the cases I've seen where this happens, they do give you a free ticket for a future trip, and a free stay in a hotel room close to the airport (maybe) - so that the sting is a little less.

However, to forcibly bump this paying passenger after he got on the plane & sat in his seat was unquestionably a d$#$ move on the part of UA, and should be illegal.

Another point I wanted to make about this story is that I'm happy we live in a day & age where everyone has a cell phone camera/video recorder, so they could record this incident. Otherwise, if this had happened in the relatively recent past where these things were not available, it would be just the person's word (with witnesses) against the airline. So, it's great that this went viral & there is now outrage against UA. However, it sounds like people who have flown UA in the past weren't surprised by this - due to their history of terrible customer service.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
This is the story that keeps on giving!

"The video, shot by fellow passenger Joya Griffin Cummings, showed Dao speaking to security, who were asking him to exit the overbooked plane flying from Chicago to Louisville on Sunday, April 9. “I won’t go. I’m a physician. I have to work tomorrow, 8 o’clock,” he told the security personnel. The passenger appears to be talking on his cell phone at the same time and telling someone that he will “make a lawsuit against United Airlines.”

"Dao argues with security and insists that he won’t get off. "No, I am not going. I am not going!” The officer replies, “Well, we’ll have to drag you.” Dao says, "Drag me then. I’m not going. I’m staying right here.” He adds to the person on the phone, “They’re trying to use force.”

New Footage Shows United Passenger

Oh this is going to be *GOOD*

That doctor may end up not only owning United Airlines but a sizable chunk of Chicago as well. *LOL*

Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
On that note, I've been wondering when the crew was notified they had to get on UAL 3411. I would think there would have been enough time to call the gate, let them know 4 must rides are coming so they could sort all this out before anyone boards the plane.
There's likely another variable or two we'll never know, concerning crew logistics surrounding this incident.

Whatever the reason, it was obviously mishandled.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:11 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
There's likely another variable or two we'll never know, concerning crew logistics surrounding this incident.

Whatever the reason, it was obviously mishandled.
Beating a person is a felony. More like a calamity.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:20 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am waiting for one of the airlines to break ranks and come out with some kind of statement about how they will do things differently in order to gain competitive advantage.
I can see it now:

Southwest Airlines: No one can beat our prices, or our customers...

American Airlines: Doing What We Do Best. Not assaulting our customers.

Lufthansa: There's no better way to avoid getting beaten up...

British Airways: We'll take better care if you are bumped

Delta Air Lines: Delta is ready when you are.... to get ejected from the plane.
    

Old 04-12-2017, 08:21 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
My question was directed at poster who blamed the passenger for the entire matter.

I wouldn't have given up my seat either when asked after boarding. If wanted to do so would have taken United up on their offer at the gate or before. Obviously the doctor had some place to go and was counting on arriving when planned.

Furthermore merely disregarding a request to vacate a seat does *NOT constitute United having the rights to summon security to assault and man-handle a passenger to get him or her out of that seat. Again had it been me and they laid hands on me, then it would have been "on".

Telling airline flight crew "no" to a bumping request is *NOT* a crime. Nor is telling them to get lost either. Long as the doctor or any other passenger wasn't behaving violently or whatever that security crew had no right to put their hands on anyone. You see this now in that three or more of those rent a cops have been suspended.

I'm sure it would have worked out for you Chuck Norris and you would have stayed on the flight

Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Beating a person is a felony. More like a calamity.
What? Someone in Republic crew scheduling flew in from Indianapolis and beat the guy up?

Reading comprehension isn't your strength is it?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
What were the nationalities of the other 2 passengers besides his wife that were booted off the plane?

is it true they were all asian?

no f'ing way a random lottery draws 4 asians amid a sea of white people on the plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation