Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 07:08 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,329,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Guy basically claimed he is Chinese. That is a really good place to start if you don't have an agenda.

Why would one ever dispute it unless evidence appears he is not?
Well there IS evidence that disputes it! That's why I'm disputing it.

Show me some evidence - not just hearsay, evidence - that he's Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 07:11 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,383,130 times
Quote:
Guy basically claimed he is Chinese. That is a really good place to start if you don't have an agenda.

Is there video of him saying he was Chinese or are we only relying on a fellow passenger/witness that he said he was Chinese?

His daughter at the press conference held by his current attorney said that her parents were Vietnamese immigrants. She didn't make any distinction that they were Chinese.

Not to mention, his attorney apparently did not know and deferred that question to the daughter.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:14 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,383,130 times
Quote:
From her posts KA is quite removed from reality. She knows what she knows and no amount of fact will change that.

Dao was certainly born Vietnamese. But he may well have been ethnic Chinese. And he certainly claimed to be Chinese. And I would expect he spoke Chinese. Thus he is almost certainly Chinese.

I would think the removal problem was the standard deal of trying to gain control of an individual in a narrow space. First thing you do is get everybody else out of the way. That is any of the immediate adjoining aisles. And then you get overwhelming force. One reason is so you can control the individual without damaging him. And you need to do things like gain control of the seat belt. A person simply cannot be removed if they can keep control of the seat belt. I would think an absolute minimum of four officers and five would be better. They basically went with one.

The result of course is what they should have expected. Dao got broken. And even if they were right, which they were not, they would be in trouble.
Wow lol.

Where is your proof that he claimed to be Chinese?

Is there video supporting this?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:16 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,235,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, he was warned and chose to ignore that warning.

Actions have consequences. Both he and United (and I guess the Chicago Aviation folks) are all finding that out.
Where did you get these posts with the repetitive nonsense?

Over maybe 12,000 flights I went head to head with the authorities 4 times. The authorities backed down every time. In one I expected to get arrested. Once did it in a hotel and did get arrested. They backed down and paid me a large sum for the insult. Had an employee of mine arrested in an idiot incident in a hotel. Backed the hotel down on that one in less than 24 hours.

You do not take BS from the authorities. You stand your ground. And you try to avoid getting hurt badly. But you take your chances. It is how we keep the authorities honest.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,037,674 times
Quote:

I don't know much about the Dao Vietnamese last name, but a more common Vietnamese last name Tran is definitely Chinese. Tran is the same as Chan, but depending on how many generations removed from China they are, some will and some won't claim to be Chinese obviously. It's quite possible that he's Chinese. I know in NYC just about every Vietnamese person that I knew that came here in the 70s and 80s spoke Chinese. Heck even in Northern China you have ethnic Koreans that speak both languages and if you don't ask them you'd never know that they're actually Korean.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Where did you get these posts with the repetitive nonsense?

Over maybe 12,000 flights I went head to head with the authorities 4 times. The authorities backed down every time. In one I expected to get arrested. Once did it in a hotel and did get arrested. They backed down and paid me a large sum for the insult. Had an employee of mine arrested in an idiot incident in a hotel. Backed the hotel down on that one in less than 24 hours.

You do not take BS from the authorities. You stand your ground. And you try to avoid getting hurt badly. But you take your chances. It is how we keep the authorities honest.
Oh please. Come on, be honest - would you have screamed and squealed and fought with LEAs like this guy did?

No one is asking anyone to "take BS from Da Man." I am saying that everyone - including but not limited to Dao - handled this scenario poorly.

By the way, Dao didn't care who else he inconvenienced, and no one else on the plane offered to give up their seat so that Dao could continue on.

This guy is no hero. And neither is United. Lots of mistakes all the way around.

I'm unimpressed by the way, with your unsubstantiated stories of standing up to authorities who you think are giving you BS. I've lived 55 years on this earth and never been arrested and yet I'm no wallflower or timid person. I do, however, use common sense and diplomacy, and so far so good.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I don't know much about the Dao Vietnamese last name, but a more common Vietnamese last name Tran is definitely Chinese. Tran is the same as Chan, but depending on how many generations removed from China they are, some will and some won't claim to be Chinese obviously. It's quite possible that he's Chinese. I know in NYC just about every Vietnamese person that I knew that came here in the 70s and 80s spoke Chinese.
This guy is Vietnamese and the name Dao is a very common Vietnamese name. No one in his family has even hinted at the idea that he's anything other than straight up Vietnamese.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 PM

36,979 posts, read 40,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

According to Reuters, he's Vietnamese.
United Airlines: Vietnam Fuming Over Treatment of David Dao | Time.com

I trust their research more than I trust your conjecture.
Sigh. You are too smart to be doing this.

CHINESE IN VIETNAM, BOAT PEOPLE, OVERSEAS VIETNAMESE (VIET KIEU) AND VIETNAMESE IN SOUTHEAST ASIA | Facts and Details

"There are about one million Chinese in Vietnam (two percent of the population). There used to be more but many were forced to leave. Many of the so-called Boat People that fled Vietnam during a much-publicized exodus between 1975 and 1980 were Chinese Vietnamese (See Boat People)."

Dao and his wife were boat people, 1975.

Dao is the Vietnamese version of Chinese Tao.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dao_(surname)

Perhaps the experience as a "boat person" had more than a little bit to do with his reaction to being told he would have to get off the airplane. He was forced to leave Vietnam because he was Chinese. Now he sees himself and his wife being forced to get off. Once again, he thinks, we have to leave because we are Chinese.

That may be armchair psychology, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,235,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I don't know much about the Dao Vietnamese last name, but a more common Vietnamese last name Tran is definitely Chinese. Tran is the same as Chan, but depending on how many generations removed from China they are, some will and some won't claim to be Chinese obviously. It's quite possible that he's Chinese. I know in NYC just about every Vietnamese person that I knew that came here in the 70s and 80s spoke Chinese.
I had a good friend who was a hard core American - born and by choice, But he was also absolutely Chinese. Phd Material Scientist. And the cooperative subject of all sorts of CIA briefings before and after his trips to China. Wife was a Phd statistician who worked in the spook business. They not only were fluently Chinese they used to speak a Shanghaiese dialect for privacy from their Mandarin and English speaking children. End up with two physicians and an an operator. My daughters considered the son one of the handsomest people they ever met. Considered enforced chastity belts at one point.

They were all American and all Chinese. Doubt it went to the next generation but that is sad in a way.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:31 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,037,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sigh. You are too smart to be doing this.

CHINESE IN VIETNAM, BOAT PEOPLE, OVERSEAS VIETNAMESE (VIET KIEU) AND VIETNAMESE IN SOUTHEAST ASIA | Facts and Details

"There are about one million Chinese in Vietnam (two percent of the population). There used to be more but many were forced to leave. Many of the so-called Boat People that fled Vietnam during a much-publicized exodus between 1975 and 1980 were Chinese Vietnamese (See Boat People)."

Dao and his wife were boat people, 1975.

Dao is the Vietnamese version of Chinese Tao.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dao_(surname)

Perhaps the experience as a "boat person" had more than a little bit to do with his reaction to being told he would have to get off the airplane. He was forced to leave Vietnam because he was Chinese. Now he sees himself and his wife being forced to get off. Once again, he thinks, we have to leave because we are Chinese.

That may be armchair psychology, but it sounds reasonable to me.
Now that makes perfect sense. Like I stated prior almost every Vietnamese person that I've encountered in NYC that came here in the 70/80s spoke Chinese. This included kids in school, workers at Vietnamese restaurants, the workers at all those Vietnamese shops on Canal street, which is Chinatown in NYC, back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation