Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Until said lawyer compared Dao to Rosa Parks.
Well actually, if you watched the attorneys press conference, he said some Irishman contacted him and compared his client to Rosa Parks.

Then he proceeded to do the Aw Shucks routine that his clients situation wasn't really comparable to Rosa Parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 08:47 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Dao doesn't really need the race card to win a huge settlement, but it is curious why his attorney wouldn't just add that to the pot to up the ante if it in fact were in play.
Because it could backfire. United's chief software engineer would testify that the formula for IVB is a combination of the price paid for the ticket, when the ticket was purchased, the frequent flyer status of the passenger, and the cost and difficulty of reaccommodating the passenger. When it becomes obvious that race has nothing to do with it, the jury won't like the race card being played.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Not really an unfair comparison. They both stood up for their rights, and refused to get out of their seats. Rosa Parks was considered a criminal in her day, now she is a national hero. The same could happen to David Dao. I would not be surprised if we get legislation with Dao's name on it, making what United did illegal. In 50 years from now, there could be monuments build to David Dao, in every airport.
I doubt that.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Not really an unfair comparison. They both stood up for their rights, and refused to get out of their seats. Rosa Parks was considered a criminal in her day, now she is a national hero. The same could happen to David Dao. I would not be surprised if we get legislation with Dao's name on it, making what United did illegal. In 50 years from now, there could be monuments build to David Dao, in every airport.

Oh dear Lord. Ms Parks and every black person who lived during that horrid time must be rolling in their graves.

Legislation? Monuments? Either you're yanking my chain or you're high.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Because it could backfire. United's chief software engineer would testify that the formula for IVB is a combination of the price paid for the ticket, when the ticket was purchased, the frequent flyer status of the passenger, and the cost and difficulty of reaccommodating the passenger. When it becomes obvious that race has nothing to do with it, the jury won't like the race card being played.
Yeah, what I concluded without the formula for how the people were selected to leave the flight.

Americans in general are weary of race cards whatever the race. Still, sort of interesting since this will likely never approach the vicinity of a jury populated by citizens weary of the race card. Why not play the race card with United on top of everything else?

Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Oh dear Lord. Ms Parks and every black person who lived during that horrid time must be rolling in their graves.

Legislation? Monuments? Either you're yanking my chain or you're high.
Seriously I agree, it is a serious affront to the dignity of Rosa Parks to compare the degenerate doc to her.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Dr dragged from United Airlines flight named as David Dao | Daily Mail Online

"One passenger also told the Washington Post the man claimed as he was being dragged off the plane he was chosen because of his ethnicity.
'He said, more or less, 'I'm being selected because I’m Chinese', the passenger told the Post."

You can claim Dao never said that or that the passenger misunderstood what Dao said all you want to. Your not believing that statement does not make it untrue. Even if Dao said "Vietnamese" and the other passenger thought he said "Chinese" it still shows Dao's perception that he was being discriminated against.

The bolded being the case, what do you make of the fact that his own attorney in his press conference said that the whole incident had nothing to do with race/discrimination?

Old 04-15-2017, 09:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If he said he is Chinese we have to accept that he identifies as Chinese. Another passenger stated that Dao said he was Chinese. There is no evidence that passenger lied or was mistaken.

Here is the video before he was yanked out of his seat. He does not chant "I have to go home, I have to go home." He calmly says, “I won’t go. I’m a physician, have to work tomorrow at 8 o’clock.”

He says, "I am not going. I am not going." He was emphatic but not "chanting".

Later ...

"A police officer says to Dr Dao: 'I have to drag you ... You know how this is going to end up happening, right?'
A clearly angry Dr Dao says the officer can drag him from the flight, and that he’d rather go to jail.

'You can drag me then, I don’t go. I’m staying. You’ll have to drag me,' he said.
While the officer explains to Dr Dao that not co-operating will make things 'a lot harder for you', Dr Dao interjects saying 'I’d rather go to jail'.
Confused, the cop questions Dr Dao seeking to clarify what he has said.
'You’d rather go to jail that just get off the plane?' he asks.
'Yeah,' Dr Dao is heard to reply."

At no time before his head injury does he chant anything.

Again, being dragged out of his seat very well was painful, even before his head was bashed on the armrest - by the security agent. He did not bash his own head.

United Airlines: David Dao argued with police in new video

The "chanting" was after he went back on the airplane, with a concussion.

We don't know what was or wasn't painful just as we don't know if he was wearing his seatbelt when he was being pulled out of his seat.

And I don't know how you can state the cop bashed Dao's head into the armrest. It seemed more like an unfortunate event because he was resisting while being dragged out in a very small space.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
We don't know what was or wasn't painful just as we don't know if he was wearing his seatbelt when he was being pulled out of his seat.

And I don't know how you can state the cop bashed Dao's head into the armrest. It seemed more like an unfortunate event because he was resisting while being dragged out in a very small space.
Oh common. Who the heck do you think was dragging him out of his seat? If you choose to do that then it is up to you to control the unwilling person you are dragging and keep them from harm. If you can't do it safely don't do it. The passenger is going no where so there is no time imperative.

This conversation keeps droppiing into the absurd.

And I would not the officer who did it has been suspended.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:23 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

The bolded being the case, what do you make of the fact that his own attorney in his press conference said that the whole incident had nothing to do with race/discrimination?
Dao's perception was wrong. That does not mean he did not think at the time that that was the reason he and his wife were chosen to be bumped.

Quote:

It's more likely he screamed because he was hurt than because he was acting like a toddler.

The cop did not have control over Dao's body when he pulled him out of his seat. If he is going to be forcibly removing someone from a seat on an airliner he needs to know how to do it without hurting someone. I do not think anyone here is alleging that Dao's injury was intentional, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation