Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 01:37 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yeah, you have said that about 10 million times already. He is about to get a million dollar settlement from United. For an "idiot", he sure knows his rights.
The kardashians are idiots imo but that doesn't mean idiots can't make a lot of money. Also there is no confirmation the good Dr knew his rights at all, he could have very well just not wanted to wait until the next day to fly out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:39 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Stadiums sell tickets to event. They sell 1 ticket per seat.
Hotels book rooms. They sell 1 entrance per room.

Why is the airline industry exempt from this general rule that all other industries abide by? There should be a rule of a fine of $100K for every passenger bumped. This will change the economics of companies choosing to oversell, and to what degree.
As has been pointed out hotels overbook too for similar reasons airlines do. Removing overbooking you can expect less flexibility when you are late and/or miss your flight

Old 04-16-2017, 01:48 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The kardashians are idiots imo but that doesn't mean idiots can't make a lot of money. Also there is no confirmation the good Dr knew his rights at all, he could have very well just not wanted to wait until the next day to fly out
I agree. I think the simple answer is usually the best one. He probably did have patients to see the next day and did not think he could afford to 'bump' them.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:51 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I agree. I think the simple answer is usually the best one. He probably did have patients to see the next day and did not think he could afford to 'bump' them.
If that were the case why did he volunteer to go to jail rather than get off the plane.

Surely, he didn't believe if he went to jail he could be assured of bailing out and getting home in time to see his patients, especially on a Sunday night.

Patients weren't important to him imo.

He just thought he should get special treatment because he is a doctor.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:59 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're both missing the point. Once something escalates and they bring in a cop/security goon it doesn't matter if he or she isn't following procedure or is trying to squelch your rights. You don't argue and you take it up with someone higher in the food chain later on. Many people....mostly men....mostly black men....would be alive today if they complied. Many complied and they still died. It's not a matter of who is right or wrong, it's a matter of keeping yourself safe.

This is common sense. Every black parent teaches their kids this. Many white parents teach their kids this. What is so hard to understand about this concept? You cannot win during an interaction with a cop. And this incident is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
I really do not think any of us here think Dao acted wisely. I personally do not think that he thought refusing to give up his seat would get him seriously injured. Most of those who are injured or killed in resisting law enforcement are aware that they risk injury or death and do it anyway.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yeah, you have said that about 10 million times already. He is about to get a million dollar settlement from United. For an "idiot", he sure knows his rights.
I wonder if there was no criminal past would these posters would change their tune or not.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I wonder if there was no criminal past would these posters would change their tune or not.
No of course not. They would simply refer to him as a crazy Asian doctor.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:32 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think what concerns me is the submissive respect for authority and the casual acceptance of the use of violence as a legitimate law enforcement tactic rather than as a last resort.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:58 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I've actually grown tired of the whole story. Yes it was awful, and he was treated terribly, but let's move on now. I also feel he sure knew his rights. What hasn't been addressed is why has something like this, never happened before. Overbookings happen every single day year after year. It has been going on continuously for many decades. I have personally dealth with them more than I can count, when working for Western Airlines and then Delta. That is 32 years. Never in all those years did anything, remotely close to this incident happen. I retired in 2012. So I was still working in recent years. The whole scenario of this United flight really baffles me. That flight crew wasn't out to have that man hurt. The airport police were trying to do the job, the were hired to do. Remove the man from the plane. It just got way out of hand. Since it's legal to overbook, and passengers give up their seat. The doctor would have been better off just getting off the plane, and taking the next flight and compensation. His being on his phone with a lawyer that fast, after the overbooking announcement was made. Seems odd in itself. Personally I would have intervened if I was the FA. However if I was the passenger. I would never have behaved as that Doctor did.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:26 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Man, fiancée kicked off United flight en route to their wedding - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation