Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:28 AM

857 posts, read 959,396 times

Advertisements

I am hearing two stories. First UA said it's a computer selection. Now there is report that the guy has the cheapest fare. Which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 07:30 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I am hearing two stories. First UA said it's a computer selection. Now there is report that the guy has the cheapest fare. Which is it?
You should read the contract for the airline you are asking the question about. Lowest fare is part of the selection process the computer should be doing

Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
I've read it's usually some combination of lowest fare, latest check in time, not having a connecting flight booked, lack of frequent flyer status, and something else that makes you more likely to get booted.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
The airlines will move heaven and earth to not bump an unaccompanied minor on a flight late in the day because of the problems associated with what they can do with a 13 year old kid for an overnight. If they know you're handicapped, you're also put way down the IDB probability list.

Other things that also make IDB less likely:

1. You're part of a large group on the same Passenger Name Record
2. Elite status
3. Your connection is hard to rebook (think twice a week flight offered to Dakar or something) or international
4. You paid more for your ticket than others

Old 04-12-2017, 07:51 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
I'm thinking that if you're travelling alone, that may increase your chances of being bumped.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:36 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
The "handicapped " do get involuntarily bumped. American Airlines did it to a well known advocate for those with disabilities a couple of weeks ago. We, who have disabilities are eagerly waiting to hear what AA is going to do about it.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The "handicapped " do get involuntarily bumped. American Airlines did it to a well known advocate for those with disabilities a couple of weeks ago. We, who have disabilities are eagerly waiting to hear what AA is going to do about it.
Are you talking about the guy whose wheel chair wouldn't fit on the plane or something else?

Old 04-14-2017, 07:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I'm thinking that if you're travelling alone, that may increase your chances of being bumped.
Yep this plays in along with pricing, and connections.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:37 PM

204 posts, read 181,589 times
Computer algorithm

How much will it COST the airline if the passenger does not fly.
Seat price, flight miles, groups, charters, crew status, medical, routing, connections are all considered.

That said it Almost always seems to start with economy class and Those with unassigned seating.
Also those who have disqualified themselves being obviously intoxicated or high.

They will offer
Next Flight (big deal)
Next Flight & Lodging Food Allowance big deal and there may not be a hotel available or one that you would want to stay at.
Next Flight & Free Flight Voucher and or cash
Next Flight & Lodging Food Allowance, plus Free Flight Voucher and or cash

Never ever argue on the plane. Never argue with a crew member.
Never argue at the gate. It's not a debate. They have the right to void your passage.

Ask for their help in reaching your destination without drama.
I have had major carrier bump me then put me back on the same flight in a first class seat because an entitled elite showed up late after last boarding call.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:34 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
Computer algorithm

How much will it COST the airline if the passenger does not fly.
Seat price, flight miles, groups, charters, crew status, medical, routing, connections are all considered.

That said it Almost always seems to start with economy class and Those with unassigned seating.
Also those who have disqualified themselves being obviously intoxicated or high.

They will offer
Next Flight (big deal)
Next Flight & Lodging Food Allowance big deal and there may not be a hotel available or one that you would want to stay at.
Next Flight & Free Flight Voucher and or cash
Next Flight & Lodging Food Allowance, plus Free Flight Voucher and or cash

Never ever argue on the plane. Never argue with a crew member.
Never argue at the gate. It's not a debate. They have the right to void your passage.

Ask for their help in reaching your destination without drama.
I have had major carrier bump me then put me back on the same flight in a first class seat because an entitled elite showed up late after last boarding call.
This is why I very rarely fly, we keep voting this stuff in. Why should they have the right to bump someone they sold a ticket too. Laws can be created that invalidate their "contracts".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation