Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
For Los Angeles, there's also Bob Hope in Burbank as well as Long Beach, which has a fair amount of commercial service. And Palmdale briefly had airline service but has not since 2008.

Economies favor a single airport until an area reaches a certain size - then the benefits of adding additional facilities begin to outweigh the costs.
Bob Hope in Burbank is arguably as convenient to downtown LA as LAX, maybe more so depending on traffic. It's certainly more convenient for people in the San Fernando Valley. It's popular with folks who work in some entertainment corporations such as Disney, Warner, NBC, Universal whose offices are nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 11:10 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Bob Hope in Burbank is arguably as convenient to downtown LA as LAX, maybe more so depending on traffic. It's certainly more convenient for people in the San Fernando Valley. It's popular with folks who work in some entertainment corporations such as Disney, Warner, NBC, Universal whose offices are nearby.
It is absolutely more convenient for Downtown, and Hollywood as well. The new shuttle linking the terminal to the red line is terrific!

Old 04-16-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I think you look at metro areas most likely served by the regional populace. SFO gets all the foreign flights but many go to Oakland because Southwest Airlines out of there.
I don't get why Southwest is so popular. Give me United or Delta any day.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Southwest is low frills but the staff's attitudes is way ahead of UA and DL personnel. Low fares, many frequencies to the secondary airports (which can be more convenient to where you need to go in many ways - e.g. closer to the city center and often less congested). They've swooped into airports where the majors like DL, AA, or UA are cutting service - such as STL, PIT - which has endeared them to locals in such cities.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Berlin's two airports are a remnant of the post-WW2 partitioning of the country. Tegel was the West German airport; Schonefeld was the DDR airport.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:43 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Agreed.

With Southwest, I feel like actually self loading cattle with their seating system. Not to mention, they don't interline with anyone, so if you miss a connecting flight or a flight is cancelled, you're stuck with having to fly Southwest whereas UA, DL and AA will put you on another competitor's flight if needed.

Southwest is only good for free checked bags and trips where I'm not 100% sure I'll be going (and can get a travel credit for a future flight)

Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 AM

430 posts, read 290,834 times
Quote:

Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
It is all definitions. There are no airports in Los Angeles.

LAX in Santa Monica clearly serves the City of Los Angeles. Burbank should be clear too. However, if I have business in LA I look at flights and pricing for Long Beach, Orange County (AKA Santa Ana, or John Wayne), and Ontario as well as LAX and Burbank. In fact, I personally avoid LAX and chose any one of the others first because LAX is so big and such a nightmare to navigate. The other airports are a long drive, but usually no longer than it takes to get your bags and a car and get out of LAX and Santa Monica. Baggage and car rental at the other airports is a snap and sometimes you can actually get to downtown LA faster than you can from Santa Monica. In a pinch, I have even flown to San Diego for LA business. While that is pushing it in miles distance, time-wise, it is not that different. It can easily take longer to get to LA from any of the other airports (except SNA, it will never take longer from SNA than from San Diego, SNA is super fast and convenient to escape from and it is 90 miles closer to LA), it all depends on traffic and in the case of LAX on the car rental situation (and baggage). Santa Monica or Burbank can leave you sitting in traffic for hours despite the short mileage distance.

Detroit has DTW in Romulus and also City Airport which is within the city but has very few flights anymore. Willow Run is commercial but does not normally serve passenger flights. Some people will use Flint or for smaller planes Ann Arbor to access Detroit.

Boston has Logan and the one in Rhode Island which is Where I usually fly to if I am going to Boston.

Orlando has several regional airports competing for Disneyland business. Some are pretty distant.

Since Dallas Forth Worth serves two major cities, do you count that as half an airport for each?

Old 04-18-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is all definitions. There are no airports in Los Angeles.

LAX in Santa Monica clearly serves the City of Los Angeles. Burbank should be clear too. However, if I have business in LA I look at flights and pricing for Long Beach, Orange County (AKA Santa Ana, or John Wayne), and Ontario as well as LAX and Burbank. In fact, I personally avoid LAX and chose any one of the others first because LAX is so big and such a nightmare to navigate. The other airports are a long drive, but usually no longer than it takes to get your bags and a car and get out of LAX and Santa Monica. Baggage and car rental at the other airports is a snap and sometimes you can actually get to downtown LA faster than you can from Santa Monica. In a pinch, I have even flown to San Diego for LA business. While that is pushing it in miles distance, time-wise, it is not that different. It can easily take longer to get to LA from any of the other airports (except SNA, it will never take longer from SNA than from San Diego, SNA is super fast and convenient to escape from and it is 90 miles closer to LA), it all depends on traffic and in the case of LAX on the car rental situation (and baggage). Santa Monica or Burbank can leave you sitting in traffic for hours despite the short mileage distance.
LAX is not in the city of Santa Monica's city limits nor in its jurisdiction; Santa Monica is separated physically from LAX by Venice, Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey and Westchester (which are all communities in the City of Los Angeles).

All quibbling aside, I totally agree with your sentiment about LAX, I try to avoid it whenever possible when I fly to SoCal.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 PM

@Obrienlester
I don't get the crazy anger at United right now. One isolated incident of a dumb crew member, and suddenly its a trending story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation