U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 AM

4,615 posts, read 4,559,748 times

Advertisements

If I were to be voluntarily or involuntarily bumped from a flight and the airline says, here is a $3-1000 voucher:

Does that mean the next time I fly, I can book a trip to the Caribbean for $1000 and thats all?

Do I have to pay taxes on the ticket, since taxes can easily reach $100-300+ RT?

Are there day restrictions, pretty much ruling out weekends and holidays?

Will the airlines quote higher ticket prices making the voucher not worth as much? example online price vs voucher prices.

Do the airlines have X amount of voucher seats per flight or is it for any open seat they still have?

Is there a limit to coach vs economy comfort and 1st class?

I ask because I have been offered free flight vouchers for vacations at a timeshare, but the voucher was nearly useless with all the restrictions and was for discount carriers and it actually cost more to use the voucher than buying a real flight. So are airline vouchers the same or much better?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 07:50 AM

9,211 posts, read 18,284,245 times
If you are Involuntarily Bumped that have to pay your REAL money.

The Vouchers Have blackout dates, There has to be a ticket in the Voucher Fare Class available. Like normal tickets they have different price points you can use the Voucher on. When you do the booking, it takes you to "Different Booking Screen" You have to pay the taxes with real money.

Airlines factor vouchers @ about 50cents on the dollar for internal booking keeping. Industry experts value them at 15-25cents on the dollar for "Usability" value.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:16 AM

4,615 posts, read 4,559,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

The Vouchers Have blackout dates, There has to be a ticket in the Voucher Fare Class available. Like normal tickets they have different price points you can use the Voucher on. When you do the booking, it takes you to "Different Booking Screen" You have to pay the taxes with real money.

Airlines factor vouchers @ about 50cents on the dollar for internal booking keeping. Industry experts value them at 15-25cents on the dollar for "Usability" value.
Ive used Delta buddy passes before and the taxes were $80 RT for NYC and $150 to Vegas, so if I were to get a voucher, I would probably have to pay these same taxes or is that pretty much how the whole paying taxes work?

Just wondering why so many pass up on vouchers, when I hear offers of $1000 sometimes on flights that im on.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM

1,330 posts, read 520,787 times
Quote:

Uhhhhh what?

I've gotten United Vouchers and they're treated "same as cash" for purchases. When you go to the payment screen you can enter in the voucher and are responsible for anything over the amount.

The only restrictions on the vouchers have been they must be used within 365 days and they must be on United or United Express flights only (not codeshares) -- an easy way around that is to use the voucher to purchase a full price refundable ticket on a short segment (like SFO-LAX) and then cancel the trip. Then you can use it on non-UA branded flights.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM

1,330 posts, read 520,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

Just wondering why so many pass up on vouchers, when I hear offers of $1000 sometimes on flights that im on.
A few reasons. People either don't fly often enough to use them, value getting to their destination at that particular time, or don't understand how they work.

I used a $400 UA voucher last fall from a voluntary bump to get me to Vietnam for under $300 out of pocket. It was great.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 PM

19,553 posts, read 9,014,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Uhhhhh what?

I've gotten United Vouchers and they're treated "same as cash" for purchases. When you go to the payment screen you can enter in the voucher and are responsible for anything over the amount.

The only restrictions on the vouchers have been they must be used within 365 days and they must be on United or United Express flights only (not codeshares) -- an easy way around that is to use the voucher to purchase a full price refundable ticket on a short segment (like SFO-LAX) and then cancel the trip. Then you can use it on non-UA branded flights.
Right. I've never experienced any blackout dates for my vouchers with the old US Airways. And I've had quite a few vouchers from US Airways after volunteering to give up my seat when the offer was too good to pass up. Now, I can see some vouchers having blackout dates, but this certainly doesn't seem to be a universal rule.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 PM

28,410 posts, read 67,509,679 times
In the past, I used to get vouchers that were for "two round trip coach tickets anywhere we fly in the continental united states" Those were legit and wonderful. If I was on my way home from someplace, I would almost always volunteer to bump in order to get vouchers.

The vouchers I have gotten more recently were so full of limitations, I could not use them. These vouchers were for a specific dollar amount rather than a free flight. Between blackout dates and fare classifications and other limitations, the flights I could use the vouchers on were insanely expensive. The part of the ticket the voucher did not cover still cost more than a discount ticket on another airline. The vouchers could not be used for discount fares on the issuing airline. I still have some laying around, but they are undoubtedly expired. After running into this on two different airlines, I just quit volunteering to be bumped.

Vouchers worth $1000 might be better. They should cover most or all of any coach ticket. Maybe they are only good for first class tickets.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:44 PM

11,282 posts, read 8,714,652 times
Quote:
That is not fully accurate. They have to tell you that you have the OPTION to receive real money, but they can negotiate with you to come to an acceptable amount of vouchers.

If you get bumped and it takes more than 2 hours for you to arrive at your destination, they owe you a maximum of $1350. You could negotiate with them for anything, but the value has to be equal to the cash, and they have to tell you that you do have the option of taking the cash.

So, they could give you $3000 in vouchers.. But, you'd have to accept, and if you didn't.. Then they'd have to give you the Up-To $1350 in cash.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM

58 posts, read 32,109 times
The only time I was to receive a voucher I never saw or heard about it again. Many years ago but I still remember. The eu flight delay legislation was brand new back then. It was germanwings but after some hours we flew some charter 737. If I get bumped I want cash now not some voucher in a few months or whenever. In the united vs the doc case , I think they should have offered more and hard money. And not a flight long after on a working day, but there is a different topic about that. Cash comes with no strings attached at least.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:45 PM

32,773 posts, read 18,131,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Because most times I'm going on vacation, going back from my vacation or a few times were work related. I was on a fairly strict timetable to fly in and out and taking a voucher for a later flight that may be oversold as well isn't worth it at all.

The only time I ever got a voucher was for issues on a United flight where the vacation was pushed back due to planned rescheduling BY United and the fact that the flight crew only served one snack to a family with two diabetic flyers for a two hour flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or