Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 03:52 AM

21,120 posts, read 19,707,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Fwiw, Hamilton orchestra seats are more than most economy airline tickets.
Actually the cheapest Hamilton tickets are more than most airline tickets. Hamilton - Broadway | Premium Tickets

And that may be the explanation for everything that is wrong with air travel. People are unwilling to spend more to be transported hundreds of miles at 35,000 feet and 500 mph in a highly complex $100 million dollar aircreft than they are for a few laughs. And they may have spent more to park at the airport for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 06:55 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
What If I was a person of size and I literally took up three seats. I couldn't fly?
No. The person next to you is smashed into half of their own seat. Happened to me, with my large (compared to me) husband next to me. So he had no room to give me part of his seat.
Longest 5 hours of my life.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I don't get the cult-like following that Southwest has, but they do have a humane Customer of Size policy that allows larger passengers to book two tickets and then be refunded one ticket after the flight (since Southwest's old computer system was pretty primitive, that was likely some sort of workaround to get desired results)

Some people also book extra seats for very expensive musical instruments or camera gear. Yo Yo Ma apparently gets an extra seat for his cello. Though cello doesn't get its own frequent flyer miles account.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
What If I was a person of size and I literally took up three seats. I couldn't fly?
If you were that big, you wouldn't fit through the door. If you did, you wouldn't fit in the aisle. How would you get to the seat?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:38 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Actually the cheapest Hamilton tickets are more than most airline tickets. Hamilton - Broadway | Premium Tickets

And that may be the explanation for everything that is wrong with air travel. People are unwilling to spend more to be transported hundreds of miles at 35,000 feet and 500 mph in a highly complex $100 million dollar aircreft than they are for a few laughs. And they may have spent more to park at the airport for a week.
Good point. I think the cheaper a product, the more entitled some people are. I see fast food and Walmart employees get abused by customers way more than I see a moderate to high price restaurant or store.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Lightbulb Just make your "antique" violin fly in the middle seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Some people also book extra seats for very expensive musical instruments or camera gear. Yo Yo Ma apparently gets an extra seat for his cello. Though cello doesn't get its own frequent flyer miles account.
Pick up an old student-grade violin at the thrift store, and buy it a seat when you fly. Problem solved.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 AM

The key with extra seat purchases is to know that there is a process for such things, and understand how it works. Just buying two tickets under the same name without doing the research is likely to just get one of them cancelled- computer systems are set up to assume that there was a hiccup in the system that caused a duplicate booking and that you don't really want to pay for two tickets unless said process was followed and noted in your Passenger Name Record, complete with second boarding pass that says 'EXTRA SEAT PURCHASED' (apparently how American handles it at the gate).

Old 05-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Pick up an old student-grade violin at the thrift store, and buy it a seat when you fly. Problem solved.
Smaller musical instruments are supposed to go into overhead bins or closet areas on a space-available basis per FAA decree that resulted from 'United breaks guitars'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Old 05-08-2017, 09:54 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Some airlines explicitly call out cellos as being eligible to have their own ticketed seat, mainly because the shape works well for belting them in.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:40 AM

491 posts, read 473,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If the seat is empty after boarding, the airlines will give it to someone else who needs a seat, whether it is because the flight was oversold or because there is a standby passenger (airline employee, family, or buddy pass holder). Unless your ass actually covers a substantial portion of the seat, it will be considered empty.

And, no, I don't think this is fair.
But they'll refund the money you paid extra to book that extra seat, is what you're saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation