Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:07 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,982,294 times

Advertisements

Small drones are a field to watch, ripe with innovation.

For example, the FLARES system, in which a quadcopter drone in flight launches or retrieves a ScanEagle.

This is also the general size range for ornithopters. One advantage I have seen mentioned is that flapping flight is significantly quieter than other propulsion systems. It is also possible, if seen from a distance, for an ornithopter to be mistaken for a bird.

BTW, it has been commented that one could improvise a weapon by strapping a grenade to a small drone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 09:57 AM

18,132 posts, read 15,540,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
The DC-3 was introduced in 1936 and is still in use today.

Some aircraft turn out to be unusually versatile/adaptable. (My favorite example is the de Havilland Mosquito). In a few cases they remain in service for a lifetime.

Ah, the Mosquito. Lol. The plywood wonder. What an awesome bird. The Germans couldn't even get aircraft high enough to catch them till the ME262 went up. But whether up high or down in the weeds the Mosquito excelled. I had no idea there were any left in service anywhere. But it doesn't surprise me there are. With modern engine upgrades and advanced avionics it would be a flat little hotrod.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:48 AM

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one Mosquito flying in the world.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, there is only one Mosquito flying in the world.

I thought I remembered that from a show on History channel from not so long ago myself. Still , what a plane that was. More proof that high performance need not be high tech.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:11 PM

Regarding the Mosquito.... You can find a video online-"The Plane That Saved Britain". Two parts. If I understand correctly, the extensive use of wood was highly advantageous.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Sometimes you come across a serious problem for which there seem to be no good options. (Britain and Brexit come to mind). In the case of the CAS mission, I suspect that the resources available will be woefully inadequate. Drones have been helpful, but I would be reluctant to rely entirely on them.

Any suggestions? Assume that funding will be quite constrained.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Sometimes you come across a serious problem for which there seem to be no good options. (Britain and Brexit come to mind). In the case of the CAS mission, I suspect that the resources available will be woefully inadequate. Drones have been helpful, but I would be reluctant to rely entirely on them.

Any suggestions? Assume that funding will be quite constrained.

Existing rotor aircraft are quite capable in CAS roles. The CH47has even been fitted with Miniguns and Vulcans in such a role. The Cobra has proven itself over and over since Viet Nam with similar outfitting, that also includes rockets and missiles such as Hellfire and TOW. For down in the weeds, up close and dirty ground support helicopters are still the best option for a manned aircraft covering the guys in the trenches. There's no fixed wing currently in operation that can fill the niche choppers do.

Being an attack chopper pilot these days, (and in days past) takes serious guts and commitment. They are extremely vulnerable to ground fire, the brutally simple RPG being a BIG concern, so hanging in the air on hover even when laying down fire from a Mini gun or a Vulcan and launching rockets is a serious risk. Still, a fixed wing aircraft can't do what they do in a ground support role. That is to put direct and pinpoint fire on enemy positions. Fortified or otherwise and being able to have eyes on friendly troops. How much more our helicopters can be upgraded in that role? I don't see it.

At any rate, rotor aircraft are the most effective and cost effective platform.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:22 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,590,047 times
Indeed but are far more expensive than the A-10 in both purchase and operation/maintenance.

I suspect that if they wanted to design a new GRA it would come out looking a lot like an A-10. A new aircraft and production facility would cost a lot more than recreating the A-10 production facility. That may be one of the primary reason for not recreating A-10 production. It would be too inexpensive. After all the profits of the airplane builder are a percentage of the price of the contract so building some hyper expensive boondoggle like an F-35 is far more desirable for the companies than recreating an A-10 production line.

Please note that the actual combat effectiveness of a "weapons system" is far less important than the profitability of that system. So the A-10 will be flying until the last one is shot down in the wrong war for the wrong reasons in the wrong place against the wrong enemy.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Indeed but are far more expensive than the A-10 in both purchase and operation/maintenance.

I suspect that if they wanted to design a new GRA it would come out looking a lot like an A-10. A new aircraft and production facility would cost a lot more than recreating the A-10 production facility. That may be one of the primary reason for not recreating A-10 production. It would be too inexpensive. After all the profits of the airplane builder are a percentage of the price of the contract so building some hyper expensive boondoggle like an F-35 is far more desirable for the companies than recreating an A-10 production line.

Please note that the actual combat effectiveness of a "weapons system" is far less important than the profitability of that system. So the A-10 will be flying until the last one is shot down in the wrong war for the wrong reasons in the wrong place against the wrong enemy.

Yep, it's all about the greenbacks. Thus the way high tech high dollar "projects" are so wildly loved by contractors. One way or another the taxpayers are going to fund the R&D, which is the biggest part of the cost.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:40 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_Firebird

ISR plane specifically designed as an Optionally Piloted Vehicle (OPV). In effect, the plane is to be flown either with a pilot aboard, or as a large UAV.

A comment I came across was that the plane was designed with budget cuts in mind.

Has two hard points for weapons.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 06-04-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation