Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I know the President announced huge improvements to ATC today, but what does that mean, exactly?

I have heard the the systems are extremely antiquated. So much so that they can't even repair them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 05:04 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Trump's plan is to privatize air traffic control. I don't know if I'd call that "huge improvements".

"Trump wants to turn the air traffic control system into a modernized non-profit organization that operates on fees paid by airlines and others that use U.S. airspace, instead of taxes."- FOX News

I don't see how this is an improvement or leads to improvement.

Currently 92% of ATC is funded by aviation-related excise taxes on passengers, cargo, and fuel. The remaining 8% from general taxes. How does swapping out taxes for fees help? They both fall on the passenger.

I don't see how "huge improvements" will come without ticket price hikes.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...Fact_Sheet.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/about/budget/aatf/

Old 06-05-2017, 06:15 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
I have not seen the details of what is proposed but I do not see privatizing ATC working over the long run. While the ATC system will be non-profit I doubt if the company hired to staff it will be non-profit. Wages and benefits will be lower and employee turn over higher. Every time there is a downturn in the economy staffing levels will be cut back. Fewer controllers will be expected to carry the load.

I do believe the ATC system does need updating. Unfortunately just like the interstate highway system, the demands of the ATC system far exceed what it was designed for and does not have the room needed for the expansion needed just to handle today's needs

Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I have not seen the details of what is proposed but I do not see privatizing ATC working over the long run. While the ATC system will be non-profit I doubt if the company hired to staff it will be non-profit. Wages and benefits will be lower and employee turn over higher. Every time there is a downturn in the economy staffing levels will be cut back. Fewer controllers will be expected to carry the load.

I do believe the ATC system does need updating. Unfortunately just like the interstate highway system, the demands of the ATC system far exceed what it was designed for and does not have the room needed for the expansion needed just to handle today's needs
Agreed. We are already having airspace issues today due to lack of staffing.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
This path has been walked before. Only difference this time, is the President held a press conference broadcast across the spectrum of news channels. No reason to believe this will come to fruition anymore than any other privatization plans of the past.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Agreed. We are already having airspace issues today due to lack of staffing.
I never underestimate the NATCA propaganda machine.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:36 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I never underestimate the NATCA propaganda machine.
What do you mean?

The FAA has severely limited traffic into major hubs due to staffing issues on weekends and holidays in the past. I don't believe the FAA is in on the fix with NATCA.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:20 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
He's conflating two entirely separate issues. Everyone seems to agree that the air traffic control systems are outdated and need to be modernized or, more likely, replaced. That would be needed regardless of whether it's the government or some other entity owning and operating the system.

He hasn't made the case for why the public system can't do the job. It's just the old Republican religion that private entities are always better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation