Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:40 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

WHY don't airlines have passengers who will be seated at the rear of the plane board first.

I know people have looked at this issue.....the TV show "Mythbusters" apparently did a trial where they had volunteers board a plan and used various boarding options. According to that boarding from the back wasn't not the quickest way to get people on the plane.

IF I were seated in front I'd rather board last. So everyone who sits behind him doesn't hit me in the frigging head with their bag -- or kick me, or bump my arm off the armrest as they walk by.

Boarding from the front also holds up people who need to get to the rear to get to their seats. That aisle bottle neck is sooo unnecessary.

And I'd think it'd be easier for flight attendants to see where their empty seats are for any stand-by travelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I say that every single time I board a plane. There is SO MUCH time wasted boarding a plane. I can't believe you can't save time that way - although I haven't seen that myth busters. I can't imagine it wouldn't be faster.

Edited to add: I found the myth busters. Sadly, they didn't actually attempt to board the back of the plane first - in ALL trials, they boarded the front first (business class) and then after the front was boarded fully, they began boarding different methods to finish up the boarding.

I'd like to see them board the back FIRST.

https://mythresults.com/airplane-boarding

Old 06-06-2017, 03:23 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
I am guessing one reason is the lack of overhead bin space for all the large luggage people now carry-on. People buying the much more expensive full fare tickets want to sit towards the front of the plane. By the time they board all of the overhead bin space would be gone.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:43 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
WHY don't airlines have passengers who will be seated at the rear of the plane board first.

I know people have looked at this issue.....the TV show "Mythbusters" apparently did a trial where they had volunteers board a plan and used various boarding options. According to that boarding from the back wasn't not the quickest way to get people on the plane.

IF I were seated in front I'd rather board last. So everyone who sits behind him doesn't hit me in the frigging head with their bag -- or kick me, or bump my arm off the armrest as they walk by.

Boarding from the front also holds up people who need to get to the rear to get to their seats. That aisle bottle neck is sooo unnecessary.

And I'd think it'd be easier for flight attendants to see where their empty seats are for any stand-by travelers.

It's the gate agents who assign seats seats to stand by passengers, not the flight attendants. We didn't wait until everyone was on board to count empty seats... we already knew the numbers ahead of time. If a passenger didn't check in by a certain time we assigned their seat to someone else. So no, boarding order would not make a difference... seat assignment wise.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:45 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Alaska does all the priority boarding first but then they fill back to front. Or with the little puddle jumpers that run between Seattle and Portland and such all day board at back and front at the same time through both doors.

Quote:
Except your overhead storage would likely be full. Nothing worse than being seated up front but having to put your bag in an overhead bin in the back when it comes time to deplane. A lot of people just shove their bag in the first available space rather than gamble that there will still be space in the back with their seat.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
It's not like the aircraft is ready for takeoff and is waiting on only boarding passengers before it can depart. While boarding is taking place, the aircraft is still being prepared for takeoff. The pilots are performing inspections and going through their checklists, refueling may be taking place, luggage (and other cargo) is being loaded, and so forth.

The aircraft doesn't pull up to the gate all ready to go but for passengers.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:13 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Jetblue always boards back to front. The only exception is those who need extra time to get situated, like the elderly or handicapped, or those with small kids.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
The most efficient way to board an aircraft has been found to be all A-F seats, then B-E seats and then C-D seats. In other words, window first, then middle, then aisle. But that system will never be implemented because people don't want to be separated from the rest of their family while being boarded.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:39 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Some airline do (JetBlue) others use zones to sort of but most tend to do that first class first which if the remaining passengers did not have to pass by them (like on larger plane designs where the first class passengers are to left of boarding door and remaining are to the right wouldn't bother me.

Here's an old comment with all the changes I would make to enable better experience and boarding optimization
If you had your own air line, what rules would you implement?

Old 06-06-2017, 08:35 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
WHY don't airlines have passengers who will be seated at the rear of the plane board first..
Don't they? After boarding first class, any passengers needing extra help, and so forth, they start by letting the back rows go first. Or is that only certain airlines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation