Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
The gate agent laughed at someone else on the plane who was willing to give up his seat (for $1,600 I think). United's paltry $800 voluntary denied boarding compensation limit is what cost them many thousands of times more than that in legal costs and lost business.
They settled for an undisclosed sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
The computer picks the people to be involuntarily bumped. It has been done this way for many years now. The gate agent doesn't just walk on the plane and hand pick people.
Yep not racist, could have been a white guy and I'm sure the outrage would be the same in all honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
He volunteered his seat. He left the aircraft. THEN he was told the next flight was the next day. He ran back on the plane. Security breach at that point because he was no longer a ticketed passenger. Yes, UA should have communicated which flight they could put him on--or maybe he was told and changed his mind.
Source this please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Mpunk,

It may have been clear to you that you weren't referring to crew members but it wasn't clear to everybody apparently. You are referencing standdby with deadheading. Those two do not go together.

The entire reason for deadheading is because the crewmember is required to be somewhere. Standby can result in never getting anywhere. That's why employees frequently only give "buddy passes" to people they hate (joke).

Your very vocal minority is still buying the cheapest ticket. From watching the SEC reports, it looks like United had a phenomenal 2nd quarter. Folks are speaking with their wallets and it seems to be obvious to the majority of travelers that all of these "incidents" we are hearing in the news are simply overplayed. Thsee incidents are not even a blip on the statistical radar and many of the customers played a part in the outcome. Dare I say it, many of these stories are simply a pathetic money grab. Some obviously are outrageous no matter the conduct of the customer. But as I frequently observe in life, a-holes attract a-holes. Sometimes they run into a bigger one than themselves and then cry about how they are a victim. Boo. Hoo.

There three sides to every story. The news media is only telling one side and if you think it's the "truth" side, you aren't paying attention. Of course faux news is another topic all together.
Show me the confusing part of my post in question, if you can. Perhaps it is a user error.

What I see in this post is a lot of cognative biases. Looks like quite a bit of confirmation bias and hostile media bias. The problem is with United 's side off the story was everyone besides shills thought they made bad calls and even some shills agree. We will never know how much due to the hefty settlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 PM

902 posts, read 863,065 times
Mpunk,

Have you ever heard the phrase, "You don't know what you don't know."? Does that phrase create even the slightest cognitive dissonance? You are now inferring that not only are you a SME on aviation but psychology as well. Quite impressive "credentials".

Your ingnorance of the situation you are referencing is also impressive. The folks in the biz are well aware of what actually occurred. I'd like to introduce you to my friend from Nigeria. He has a large sum of money that he needs help with. He's willing to to pay you handsomely if you could help him ;-). Lol!

Old 08-04-2017, 11:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
This happens to me a lot. I've bought a preferred seat on an aisle only to find many other cheaper seats on the aisle empty once I boarded but which appeared "occupied" when I was picking a seat at ticketing. Now I go to the gate and ask for the seat I want (an aisle and an exit row if at all possible) and usually get something better than what I had.
There are perfectly logical reasons for airlines to block seats until check-in time. There are specific seats that are commonly held back for disabled passengers or if a family with babes in arms/small children books the flight. Some seats may be blocked because the airline anticipates they might need those seats to reposition employees. And other seats get blocked because booking patterns on the route are such that they sell a lot of 7 days out or less high fare tickets to business travelers who hold elite status in the airline's loyalty program.

While some people do buy same day walk-up tickets, at 24 hours before departure, the airline can be reasonably certain of what their passenger count and mix will be. So the bulkhead seats blocked for infants and handicapped passengers that were not assigned to one of those groups go back into the available seats pool, as do any positive space employee seats that will go unused. And those released seats go first to people who have a confirmed ticket but no assigned seat prior to check-in.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:55 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
He volunteered his seat. He left the aircraft. THEN he was told the next flight was the next day. He ran back on the plane. Security breach at that point because he was no longer a ticketed passenger. Yes, UA should have communicated which flight they could put him on--or maybe he was told and changed his mind.
Where did you get this info. It wasn't mentioned in earlier news stories.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am really glad that I do not fly very much. I consider this availability/pricing/seat classes to be complete BS. I would prefer walking up to the ticket agent when I want to fly somewhere and just paying them for a ticket to sit anywhere I can find room. Just like a Greyhound bus.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:15 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am really glad that I do not fly very much. I consider this availability/pricing/seat classes to be complete BS. I would prefer walking up to the ticket agent when I want to fly somewhere and just paying them for a ticket to sit anywhere I can find room. Just like a Greyhound bus.
Southwest would be glad to take your money for exactly that. But you'd be paying three times what you would have compared to advance purchase fares and you'd also be late in line to pick a seat compared to those who bought advance and checked in at the star of check-in.

They even have a BS fare group- Business Select, their most expensive ticket class that gets you extra Rapid Rewards points and alcoholic drink included.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Mpunk,

Have you ever heard the phrase, "You don't know what you don't know."? Does that phrase create even the slightest cognitive dissonance? You are now inferring that not only are you a SME on aviation but psychology as well. Quite impressive "credentials".

Your ingnorance of the situation you are referencing is also impressive. The folks in the biz are well aware of what actually occurred. I'd like to introduce you to my friend from Nigeria. He has a large sum of money that he needs help with. He's willing to to pay you handsomely if you could help him ;-). Lol!
I'll rise above your petty comments and snide bon marts and clarify. Here's your original post.

Quote:
Mpunk,

It may have been clear to you that you weren't referring to crew members but it wasn't clear to everybody apparently. You are referencing standdby with deadheading. Those two do not go together.

The entire reason for deadheading is because the crewmember is required to be somewhere. Standby can result in never getting anywhere. That's why employees frequently only give "buddy passes" to people they hate (joke).

Your very vocal minority is still buying the cheapest ticket. From watching the SEC reports, it looks like United had a phenomenal 2nd quarter. Folks are speaking with their wallets and it seems to be obvious to the majority of travelers that all of these "incidents" we are hearing in the news are simply overplayed. Thsee incidents are not even a blip on the statistical radar and many of the customers played a part in the outcome. Dare I say it, many of these stories are simply a pathetic money grab. Some obviously are outrageous no matter the conduct of the customer. But as I frequently observe in life, a-holes attract a-holes. Sometimes they run into a bigger one than themselves and then cry about how they are a victim. Boo. Hoo.

There three sides to every story. The news media is only telling one side and if you think it's the "truth" side, you aren't paying attention. Of course faux news is another topic all together.
You claim the media isn't putting out the truth, that is a hostile media bias to the T. It also is a confirmation bias as you are casting our aside since you are challenged by the fact most people think United did wrong. As is using profits and sales yup prop up the fact nobody cares. Honestly, I want to see United's future quarterly earnings since caveman fees are used when you cancel travel plans. I want to see if indeed people do think twice About it or not.

THAT SAID, you are right about the statistical anamoly of things Bering disregarded in the media inn many things. Theme parks and fair accidents are one despite us hearing about them a little more often than involuntary bumps/deboardings on airlines. I will give this part of your anti-media rant.

Now what i will say is i don't have to be an absurdum "expert" to post here. Many do so as passengers which I am one. I am also in customer service and I don't know how an industry with pretty much industry wide customer dissatisfaction and bad customer service stays afloat unless the whole business travelers are in fact the life blood of the industry.

Many claim that passengers typically fly cheapest but due past experiences with United changing the intinary several times and giving my frankly a horrible puddle jumper for a three hour flight with only one food stop, a deal breaker. The first change was to a flight that was within 30 minutes to the previous flight meaning it was not legal due to FAA regulations.

As for what happened in this case, IF United/Republic really did nothing wrong, why did they change the deadhead crew time limit to an hour from boarding when it was basically anytime before the plane left the terminal before hand? Was it them covering their asses, trying to curb customer outrage or both?

Old 08-06-2017, 12:37 AM

579 posts, read 368,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Then you need a time machine to go back at least 40 years.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 AM

730 posts, read 1,314,220 times
Original Poster Here:

Can't convince me there isn't a game of BS going on with fares, especially lately SWA.

Case in point: RT to Orlando, Non Stop, suddenly opens up the Wanna Get Away flights @ $692; on day later, it's $400 and change, then back up again. You have to check flight prices every day to obtain the best deal, and then it's a crap shoot.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:33 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
On SWA if you fly alot there is nothing to lose.

You can book the $692 or $400, If the fare goes down to $89 you can re-book for free and get the $89 price, and get the fare difference as a future fare credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation