Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:54 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I can't understand why considering how many P.R. issues they've had all year. Apparently going back to Pre Merger Continental circa 2006 meal cutback standards. Total fail, but no surprise from this tone deaf airline. Thoughts?

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...really-ba.html
Oh those poor folks in first class! How will they or anyone on the place survive? They have meals you can purchase if you wish. You can also eat before you fly, bring food with you, buy something at the airport, etc. I can't stand those snack bags they had out that are mix of stuff so there's no great loss to me on the food reductions. How many people are actually eating these things? They may be throwing away more food than they're serving so that's led to reductions. I highly doubt that this will be what does United Airlines in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 10:34 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Oh those poor folks in first class! How will they or anyone on the place survive? They have meals you can purchase if you wish. You can also eat before you fly, bring food with you, buy something at the airport, etc. I can't stand those snack bags they had out that are mix of stuff so there's no great loss to me on the food reductions. How many people are actually eating these things? They may be throwing away more food than they're serving so that's led to reductions. I highly doubt that this will be what does United Airlines in.
So true. Lol... It reminds me of people who never think to bring water when they go on a hiking trip or bother to go to the bathroom before they leave and ask to stop 15 minutes later. Some people just don't plan for anything. God forbid we have to go 6 hours without eating. End if the world!

Old 09-07-2017, 01:28 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Of all the airlines, who do you think still has a great meal in First Class?
In domestic First Class I've had an awesome steak with sautéed spinach and mashed potatoes on JFK-DEN in April on Delta with Vanilla Gelato for dessert. Superior to anything United would serve on a route like this.

#21 Add to ss20ts's Reputation Report Post
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
ss20ts
befriend

10,116 posts, read 7,980,467 times

Quote:
I can't understand why considering how many P.R. issues they've had all year. Apparently going back to Pre Merger Continental circa 2006 meal cutback standards. Total fail, but no surprise from this tone deaf airline. Thoughts?

United isn't Spirit Airlines - they need to compete with Delta (who recently now serves $20 value bottles of champagne for purchase in coach) and American as well as their global Star Alliance members which United is clearly the red headed stepchild of.

You do know AA and DL now serve meals in coach again on JFK-LAX/SFO etc? What's UA's excuse? Oh that's right, they couldn't compete at JFK and left.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:41 PM

579 posts, read 367,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
That's the way it should be. If you take care of your employees, they'll take care of your customers. Keep the employees happy and you'll have a thriving business with loyal, returning customers.
That works fine if the employees have a good work ethic. But if the employees are jaded, hate their jobs, and lazy, then it fails miserably.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
In domestic First Class I've had an awesome steak with sautéed spinach and mashed potatoes on JFK-DEN in April on Delta with Vanilla Gelato for dessert. Superior to anything United would serve on a route like this.

#21 Add to ss20ts's Reputation Report Post
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
ss20ts
befriend

10,116 posts, read 7,980,467 times

Quote:

United isn't Spirit Airlines - they need to compete with Delta (who recently now serves $20 value bottles of champagne for purchase in coach) and American as well as their global Star Alliance members which United is clearly the red headed stepchild of.

You do know AA and DL now serve meals in coach again on JFK-LAX/SFO etc? What's UA's excuse? Oh that's right, they couldn't compete at JFK and left.
I've flown American this year and there were no meals offered.....just some nasty premade sandwiches in a box that were ridiculously priced. I flew United this year as well....similar boxed sandwiches. Nothing I'd brag to anyone about except maybe the high school lunch lady.

JFK is a FORTUNE to have a terminal in. EVERYTHING in NYC costs a FORTUNE. I often wonder how any of the airlines survive there. A freaking Sysco bagel with cream cheese is over $6 at JFK. Ask how I know. Wasn't a NYC bagel....was some frozen crappy thing I could have used as a door stop.

That Star alliance thing doesn't mean squat anymore. It had perks when there were way more airlines, but they've all merged into literally a handful of airlines so there's nothing worthy of the Star Alliance anymore.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I've flown American this year and there were no meals offered.....just some nasty premade sandwiches in a box that were ridiculously priced. I flew United this year as well....similar boxed sandwiches. Nothing I'd brag to anyone about except maybe the high school lunch lady.

JFK is a FORTUNE to have a terminal in. EVERYTHING in NYC costs a FORTUNE. I often wonder how any of the airlines survive there. A freaking Sysco bagel with cream cheese is over $6 at JFK. Ask how I know. Wasn't a NYC bagel....was some frozen crappy thing I could have used as a door stop.

That Star alliance thing doesn't mean squat anymore. It had perks when there were way more airlines, but they've all merged into literally a handful of airlines so there's nothing worthy of the Star Alliance anymore.
The airlines don't pay $6 per bagel buying them from Sysco at the airport. They pay institutional rates (public schools, hospitals, prisons, etc.)

Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
The airlines don't pay $6 per bagel buying them from Sysco at the airport. They pay institutional rates (public schools, hospitals, prisons, etc.)
I never said the airlines paid $6 per bagel. I paid $6 for the bagel with cream cheese at JFK.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:05 AM

902 posts, read 862,856 times
My god, people talking about how GOOD airplane food is... what's next, cats sleeping with dogs???

Old 09-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I never said the airlines paid $6 per bagel. I paid $6 for the bagel with cream cheese at JFK.
You wrote (emphasis added)
Quote:
JFK is a FORTUNE to have a terminal in. EVERYTHING in NYC costs a FORTUNE. I often wonder how any of the airlines survive there. A freaking Sysco bagel with cream cheese is over $6 at JFK.
What else was I supposed to infer from your post? The word "I" did not appear there. Only "airlines". Ergo "airlines pay $6 for a bagel" which of course is not true.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
You wrote (emphasis added)

What else was I supposed to infer from your post? The word "I" did not appear there. Only "airlines". Ergo "airlines pay $6 for a bagel" which of course is not true.
The airlines all pay to have a terminal or gate access at the airport. JFK, as all things in NYC, is extremely expensive. Everything in JFK for sale costs more than other airports. I never said anything about the airlines paying 6 bucks for a bagel....seemed pretty obvious I was speaking about my experience. I said "A freaking Sysco bagel with cream cheese is over $6 at JFK." I said at JFK not from an airline or on a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation