Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:12 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,871 times

Advertisements

You don't understand why someone would be unhappy about changes in their neighborhood? Seriously?

All of the things you love about your neighborhood exist because someone--a citizen--years ago participated and spoke up about the things they valued and the kind of neighborhood they wanted to create.

If people didn't speak up or voice their opinion about changes, none of us would live in neighborhoods that look like they do today.

Government is of the people and by the people--not just for the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 09:34 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I don't know if it's still there, but there's a large area of what used to be houses by the San Jose International Airport. It's weird, the mature trees are there, the streets are there, I think the sidewalks are there, and the driveways entrances are there. The houses are just missing. I'm assuming the airport bought the land to annex because the people were so close to the airport.
Funny you mention that, I didn't know that and I'm a local, what are the streets near it? I think LAX is actively doing the same to a neighborhood near the airport for the same purpose:

Audio: Last remnants of LAX neighborhood to be taken by eminent domain | 89.3 KPCC

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/in...f-los-angeles/

Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Are you in Westchester by chance? I went to college there back in the day and we rented a home near LAX. You would constantly hear and smell brakes. Most neighbors didn't seem to care - they had more of a problem with the college kids peeing and passing out on their lawns.
N6 if you are talking to me no- I am not in Westchester. I live near Aviation/Rosecrans. :-) Just south of LAX.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
Where we are located - it's not even that close to Hawthorne Airport. Why they are complaining is beyond me. Over the top and YES they chose to live here.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:31 PM

579 posts, read 367,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
You don't understand why someone would be unhappy about changes in their neighborhood? Seriously?

All of the things you love about your neighborhood exist because someone--a citizen--years ago participated and spoke up about the things they valued and the kind of neighborhood they wanted to create.

If people didn't speak up or voice their opinion about changes, none of us would live in neighborhoods that look like they do today.

Government is of the people and by the people--not just for the people.
That word I bolded applies to the whiny resident, not the airport. Did the airport change? Nope, it's been there for years. Did the resident change? Yup, said whiny resident moved to a house located near an airport. And that resident is unhappy about the change -- solution is obvious, MOVE

Old 09-14-2017, 01:38 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Funny you mention that, I didn't know that and I'm a local, what are the streets near it? I think LAX is actively doing the same to a neighborhood near the airport for the same purpose:
It's been decades since I was there, but I looked at a map and it looks like a park is there now. If you can find the airport on a map, the airport runs right up to 17 - I mean I 880. South of the airport right across the freeway is the park. Look for Spring St. I know it's bordered by Guadalupe Creek so if you go there, try not to go alone. I don't know if it's changed, but at one time the creek was filled with people of the sort you might call not nice.

You do know about the Rosicrucian museum (with the Planetarium) and the Rose Garden, though, don't you? LOL

There's a lot of weird little things in San Jose. I always regret missing out on the midnight Halloween tour of The Winchester House.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:39 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,735,966 times
How about buying a house next to the freeway and then complaining about the noise. Then start a petition no noise between 11pm and 6am . Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
We just moved to a high rise with a clear view of the Montreal International airport,planes taking off all day long, also a 4 track rail mainline heading into and out of Montreal and just below my window 6 lanes of hwy 20 expressway. Maybe considered noisy to most people but i love it and sure beats the brick walls i got to look at for 25 years out the windows of my old place.
The view = http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psvvvysklb.jpg

Last edited by jambo101; 09-15-2017 at 04:00 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 04:12 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
How about buying a house next to the freeway and then complaining about the noise. Then start a petition no noise between 11pm and 6am . Stupid is as stupid does.
Actually, some freeways had almost entirely commuter traffic in the beginning, meaning they were quiet during those hours. Homebuyers felt safe buying there. Then traffic became constant. In affluent areas, noise walls were built.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:41 PM

579 posts, read 367,887 times
From the ground, with no noise wall, highway noise is much louder than an airport (except when the traffic is slow, since it's mostly rolling tires you're hearing). Busy airports have a takeoff or landing every minute or so, less than a highway in the middle of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation