Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,791,701 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/19/unit...in-a-hole.html

As an enthusiast, I really do think United has some big problems from the Smisek era that haven't been resolved. The airline MGMT in Chicago really needs to clean house. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,929,674 times
Good. I hope the fascist company goes bankrupt.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:02 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,509,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Good. I hope the fascist company goes bankrupt.
Ouch.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Have been flying them for 40+ yrs, but now only use them for international. Last week my 17hr direct flight (very popular route) was much less than 1/2 full (787). Previously jammed packed for last few yrs each time I have used...

We got complete rows to ourselves. (3 seats / passenger)

While I enjoyed that benefit... it reminded me why I do not own stock in this company.

When you see direct revenue loss to this level... this may indicate "too far gone to save".

Customers have many choices, I am most concerned about transferring / using my Star Alliance points!

Investment ?...

United leadership team has eroded to dismal.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Have been flying them for 40+ yrs, but now only use them for international. Last week my 17hr direct flight (very popular route) was much less than 1/2 full (787). Previously jammed packed for last few yrs each time I have used...

While I enjoyed that benefit... it reminded me why I do not own stock in this company.

When you see direct revenue loss to this level... this may indicate "too far gone to save".

Customers have many choices, I am most concerned about transferring / using my Star Alliance points!

Investment ?...

A few things that have kept me away from United since they merged with Continental:

1. All the bad things from Continental, particularly their computer system and "friendly" customer policies (see Dr. Dao) were kept.

2. The streaming entertainment installation has been a fail - constant complaints from people trying to get this to work. I don't want to be "dark" for 8 hour on a flight to Hawaii

3. No premium economy on International flights.

4. Smisek corruption issues with the Port Authority of NY / NJ was a freaking disaster.

5. Recent food cutbacks in First Class

6. Selling upgrades at kiosks and then lying to elites about "free upgrades at all times!"

The company is basically acting like Chicago, the city they are based in: Corrupt, crooked, smug, and stupid. Oscar did an OK job of uniting the flight attendant subsidiaries, but I believe he needs to step down. The entire c-suite should have been gutted after Dao.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,305,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Investment ?...

International is weak now, especially Asia...domestic is very strong and keeping the network carriers afloat for now.

I think DL and SWA especially as well as AA are kicking their butts. United’s response is to increase capacity and double down on their money losing tactics. That is why you are seeing their stock crater.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:35 AM

14,613 posts, read 17,293,877 times
I have felt that United is unsustainable in it's present configuration and should merge with southwest.

United' fleet of B737-800 , -900, -900ER (289 jets) is compatible with Southwest, and it's 163 Airbus A319-100 and Airbus A320-200 are not. Then United could concentrate on international flights.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:39 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,061,191 times
I view the whole situation as further evidence of the severe disorientation of stock markets.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:21 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,663,185 times
As long as fuel prices remain low, they're in the black and have time to figure out and try to correct ongoing issues. Wouldn't call them dead just yet.

My United experience has generally involved pleasant incompetence, something I'd rather deal with than American's surly indifference. Still like Delta best of the major US players- good route options for places I want to go, and when they mess up, they seem to honestly try to fix it.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I have felt that United is unsustainable in it's present configuration and should merge with southwest.

United' fleet of B737-800 , -900, -900ER (289 jets) is compatible with Southwest, and it's 163 Airbus A319-100 and Airbus A320-200 are not. Then United could concentrate on international flights.
It would never get approved by the DOT. Southwest and the AirTran merged really ruffled some feathers.

There have been rumors that JetBlue and United could merge. It sounds ridiculous, but it's more conventional then you'd think:

1. Both offer DirecTV (JetBlue for free, United at a cost.) They could push DTV to give up the cost on the United side, which is hundreds of aircraft or lower the cost.

2. JetBlue offers free internet - United should have offered this up, like, yesterday.

3. If they merge, they get back JFK and have the hub at Newark (they would have to divest slots at both airports though). This would level the pricing playing field at Newark which would be favorable, I would think.

4. They gain FLL and BOS hubs from JetBlue. They also get "Mint" and can ditch the concept for P.S. (or Cross Country Comfort, whatever it's called now.)

5. JetBlue gains international flights and the new Polaris cabin from United.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation