Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:32 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I don't think I've ever heard it on the ground frequency.
Touché.

I got got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 03:58 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,495,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I don't think I've ever heard it on the ground frequency.
I was referring to the generic ground frequency being those frequencies used while on the ground, such as CTAF, Clearance, Tower etc. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:15 AM

24,276 posts, read 13,130,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I was referring to the generic ground frequency being those frequencies used while on the ground, such as CTAF, Clearance, Tower etc. Sorry for the confusion.
I have been to a couple airports (SDL and FFZ) where the tower and ground frequencies are simulcast because of manning, usually late at night right before the tower would close, one controller running tower and ground. I don't know how common that is now.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:19 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I have been to a couple airports (SDL and FFZ) where the tower and ground frequencies are simulcast because of manning, usually late at night right before the tower would close, one controller running tower and ground. I don't know how common that is now.

Yes it happens at smaller towered airports, mainly Class Deltas, sometimes Charlies too.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:39 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
I've been to a bunch of C and D (Off-Peak) airports where there is one controller "working" , S/He is running all 3 frequencies Clearance, Ground, Tower.

On landing often S/He will say stay with "me" on the tower frequency, as I move off the runway and start to taxi.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:45 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I've been to a bunch of C and D (Off-Peak) airports where there is one controller "working" , S/He is running all 3 frequencies Clearance, Ground, Tower.

On landing often S/He will say stay with "me" on the tower frequency, as I move off the runway and start to taxi.

My old home base, KFTG, a Class D, has a contracted Tower, and after 21:00 goes to CTAF.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:45 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Fuel saving is serious business in the airline industry. From using one prop, or engine for ground movement, to flight attendants urging passengers to lower the shades at an airport with hot temps, every little bit counts. I also appreciate this as it tends to keep fares lower, or atleast that is the theory. However, Spirit Airlines loading the plane in the front and back to get maximum efficiency is going too far, IMO. When you cramp passengers together for efficiency, perhaps the line has been crossed.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-05-2017 at 01:02 AM..

Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,256 times
Quote:
Yes I've been to airports where that was done. Good point. In that case a pilot may have heard "position and hold" on the ground frequency, back when that was still in use by ATC.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Quote:
I think the FAA has two person tower staffing nationwide, since the DCA issue of a few years ago when the only one tower controller working overnight when the airport was closed, and S/He did not reply to a local traffic call or something.

But saying that the "Second" Controller that is now in the towers may not be on the radio, and may be doing paperwork in the tower, or just making sure the other controller does not fall asleep, or die ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation