Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 PM

13,227 posts, read 7,280,089 times

Advertisements

The picture doesn't look like he is using a smoke system says it was just condensate not sure I thought only airshow demonstration aircraft had smoke systems installed not regular fighter aircraft.

Navy admits aircrew drew penis in the sky - CNNPolitics

What will happen to the pilot now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:42 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Could be blackballed, there is stiff competition among naval aviators and the ability to penetrate that upper echelon went to waste. On a similar vein, I've heard of same where career was headed in an upward trajectory but their cocky attitudes and actions resulted in poor performance.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
The picture doesn't look like he is using a smoke system says it was just condensate not sure I thought only airshow demonstration aircraft had smoke systems installed not regular fighter aircraft.
condensation trails can be generated by ANY aircraft when the conditions are right. look at the video streams of world war two bombers flying at the contrail levels, they create huge streams of condensation.

you can also see jets that create clouds when they break the sound barrier;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B4IVcCuIZE

remember that the result of burning fossil fuels is carbon dioxide and water vapor. when the aircraft flies high enough, or fast enough, clouds form.

Quote:
he will be disciplined, or court-martialed, depending on the mood of the navy, the pilots CO, etc.

but you dont have to be a young pilot to do things like this, watch videos of top gear UK with jeremy clarkson, and you will find many instances where he does the same thing in a variety of settings.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 PM

13,227 posts, read 7,280,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
condensation trails can be generated by ANY aircraft when the conditions are right. look at the video streams of world war two bombers flying at the contrail levels, they create huge streams of condensation.

you can also see jets that create clouds when they break the sound barrier;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B4IVcCuIZE

remember that the result of burning fossil fuels is carbon dioxide and water vapor. when the aircraft flies high enough, or fast enough, clouds form.

he will be disciplined, or court-martialed, depending on the mood of the navy, the pilots CO, etc.

but you dont have to be a young pilot to do things like this, watch videos of top gear UK with jeremy clarkson, and you will find many instances where he does the same thing in a variety of settings.
But Jeremy Clarkson is just a host of a TV show who likes to get publicity not an Naval Officer have very high standards I suppose probably allowed to keep flying but I'm sure some that wasn't the kind news Navy brass want's to see on CNN. Seems really stupid so much work to get to fly Fighter Jets and screw it all up on a stunt like that.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:04 AM

24,276 posts, read 13,130,686 times
Quote:
He should claim he was working for Arby's, drawing their logo in the sky.

Seriously, he likely won't lose his wings, but his career isn't going to go anywhere fast. This was a relatively harmless offense although if I was the CO I wouldn't be asking the obvious "WTF were you thinking?" to him, but "Did you ever consider just how much this prank cost in fuel, training value, and PR for the ____?" (The _____ is service, squadron, etc.)

Old 11-18-2017, 09:10 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,187,818 times
I bet the pilot gets a stiffer sentence than Bowe Bergdahl.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:32 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Could be blackballed, there is stiff competition among naval aviators and the ability to penetrate that upper echelon went to waste. On a similar vein, I've heard of same where career was headed in an upward trajectory but their cocky attitudes and actions resulted in poor performance.
Why do they need to be so hard on the guy?

Old 11-18-2017, 10:39 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Hello mountain, this is mole hill.
When did we all get so sensitive? Who was harmed here?
2 terms I don't like apple here: fake news...and snowflakes. lol

Old 11-18-2017, 11:04 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
They should have known humor went out of the military in the 2000's, I was active during the transition. I would not be surprised if they dropped the hammer on the people involved, because what better use of resources than to suspend, or even permanently ban the people involved from flying after spending huge amount of resources on them, then complaining that there is a shortage of pilots.

As for waste of fuel, time, etc, seems they were already flying anyway, whether it was a straight line or this shape, Maybe a person who actually knows can chime in, I do not have any air crew experience, lol.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:06 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,632 times
I think social media circulating the picture escalated the issue out of proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation