Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 PM

472 posts, read 473,614 times

Advertisements

Was looking to get feedback from people in the know.

I've been researching transpacific flights and got it down to ANA. The big question is business class worth twice the cost of premium economy?

Saw plenty of YouTube reviews for their business class (which looks amazing) but not much on the premium economy.

Any feedback, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
The big question is business class worth twice the cost of premium economy?
I doubt anyone can give an honest answer to that. What kind of comfort for two 12 hour trips justifies the cost of several day in a luxury hotel. What kind of food and drinks can they give you that is worth the cost of half a dozen fine meals in a restaurant.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:15 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Was looking to get feedback from people in the know.

I've been researching transpacific flights and got it down to ANA. The big question is business class worth twice the cost of premium economy?

Saw plenty of YouTube reviews for their business class (which looks amazing) but not much on the premium economy.

Any feedback, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Again, that depends on what you value and personal preferences.

If you're really physically large and tall - take note that the Business Class has a 62" pitch and a 21" seat width compared with Premium Economy 38" pitch and 19" seat width.

Ask yourself if that difference is worth the extra cost. Particularly if it's on your own dime.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
You must be budget conscious to even be considering ANA, so....
What are you willing to pay for the pain?

Sounds like it is only a leg to Tokyo. That is not so far to suffer, if you are a budget traveler.

If not a budget traveler, there are lots of Great choices for transpacific carriers.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You must be budget conscious to even be considering ANA, so....
What are you willing to pay for the pain?

Sounds like it is only a leg to Tokyo. That is not so far to suffer, if you are a budget traveler.

If not a budget traveler, there are lots of Great choices for transpacific carriers.
I don't follow this logic.

There are only 2 airlines that are flying that route nonstop. Ana and jal. At the time ana was the cheapest.

How is it budget conscious to be consideing Japan's only 5 star airline?

Old 12-28-2017, 03:02 AM

326 posts, read 672,408 times
For a night flight business class any day if you can afford it. The difference is like night and day. You sleep in your lie flat seat and arrive rested and much less jet lagged. For daytime flights premium eco is a good compromise in my opinion.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I don't follow this logic.

There are only 2 airlines that are flying that route nonstop. Ana and jal. At the time ana was the cheapest.

How is it budget conscious to be consideing Japan's only 5 star airline?
Just got off (2) miserable ANA flights last week... have got stuck with them a few times / yr during last 30+ yrs international work and travel.

By all means, buy Business Class... if you MUST / DESIRE to travel ANA.

It is very far down on my list for 'acceptable carriers' (and usually booked FULL so rare chance to get the entire row to yourself (as is common with a few other Star Alliance carriers I use))

I would 'presume' The Japanese have a very loyal way of designating their national carriers as 5* I cannot imagine giving ANA a rating as a non- Japanese !

Take what you can get... If overnight, / over 10 hrs... PE might not be to your liking. But you will likely survive (as we all do). Like it or not!

Have a beautiful trip. the air carrier is a minor dab of the experience. Nothing to get OCD about.

Get on
go
(rest... as possible)
Get off
and GO!

On ANA & if you have any desire / inclination / expectation of 'service'... buy the premium class. (on USA, Japanese carriers) Many other national carriers treat you very well, cattle class or not.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Just got off (2) miserable ANA flights last week... have got stuck with them a few times / yr during last 30+ yrs international work and travel.

By all means, buy Business Class... if you MUST / DESIRE to travel ANA.

It is very far down on my list for 'acceptable carriers' (and usually booked FULL so rare chance to get the entire row to yourself (as is common with a few other Star Alliance carriers I use))

I would 'presume' The Japanese have a very loyal way of designating their national carriers as 5* I cannot imagine giving ANA a rating as a non- Japanese !

Take what you can get... If overnight, / over 10 hrs... PE might not be to your liking. But you will likely survive (as we all do). Like it or not!

Have a beautiful trip. the air carrier is a minor dab of the experience. Nothing to get OCD about.

Get on
go
(rest... as possible)
Get off
and GO!

On ANA & if you have any desire / inclination / expectation of 'service'... buy the premium class. (on USA, Japanese carriers) Many other national carriers treat you very well, cattle class or not.
This makes complete sense now. You had a bad experience.

Just so you the 5 star rating wasn't given by tje Japanese but by an independent source that scores airlines.

Thanks for your input i appericate it. It does look like jal may be the winner class still up for grabs.

Thanks everyone for their advice, experiences etc

Old 12-29-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
.... the 5 star rating wasn't given by tje Japanese but by an independent source that scores airlines....
yup...
you are an 'independent source ' and need a 5* carrier for Japan to fill your quota.

whom shall it be?

ANA
JAL

pick one and 'change-it-up' next time.

When you have a choice (?) of two... Japan does not leave much creativity or difference.

Either will be very similar (buy the upgrade if it is important to you and you can afford it.

While I used to care (during employment and Platinum and Gold eras... ) I care no more. BTDT, done with it. When I get the upgrades, I am delighted (but never enough to pay for them). Your portfolio / priorities are likely different.

That's great!

Have a nice trip.

When possible... fly SIA, THAI, Hainan, Cathay, Emirates...MA (if insured)
You know you had a good flight, when they have to ask you a few times to get off, yet you request to stay and continue on to their next destination (wherever-that-may-be) (Happens a lot on SIA and THAI!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation