Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times

Advertisements

I've been treated like garbage at MSP and EWR. But I won't avoid those airports bc I need to fly into them.

I had one really bad experience at ORD almost 10 years ago. I avoid that place, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 06:20 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Yes. Overcrowded Airport means that it is running beyond its capacity and it puts pressure on other staff such as Immigration, Security, Airlines.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 AM

731 posts, read 678,427 times
Here is what happened that caused me to never fly again so long as I live-- It was the Austin Texas airport.

I was supposed to suddnely catch a flight from Austin to Nashville.
When I first got there, I had to stand in a line that filled the entire first floor.
Then, I had to go through 'Security' where some stranger x-rayed me naked and in every detail.
I had to put everything I owned out on plastic trays. I had to take my riding boots off. Do you have any idea how hard that is?
In classical English boots, you have to put your foot on someone's butt and push.
Then, I went up to gate C -16. I was in another line.
I leaned over and told the lady in front of me I would like to start an airline where everyone goes naked. No security search needed.
Well, some stuffed shirt overheard me and they pulled me out of the line.
I had to go over to some nearby public place and they made me take my coat off.
I was wearing a tight black spandex business suit.
I mean, if I had a boxcutter or a bomb, there would have been a huge lump.
I gave the most hateful look I was capable of, but didn't say anything.
Did I look like a frikking terrorist? They had just let a woman on wearing a burka!
So they felt me up right there in front of everyone. Another beady eyed look from me, of pure hatred.
But I didn't say anything or I would have gotten arrested.
Then, a voice come over the airport intercom that said Passenger M. Bishop Please Board Immediately!
I took off running through miles of halls carrying a giant carry on suitcase.
As I ran by the the women at the desk I let them have it. "You treat people like crap, and then you give their seat away"!
Then.... the horrible plane ride. ... people crammed on the plane like a sardine can.
I spied a narrow slot between too grumpy looking passengers.
Wikipedia says "Seat width is the distance from armrest to armrest, in Economy class this is typically around 43-46 centimeters ."
I measured it. It WAS 17 inches! I stuffed in next to an encroaching fat guy who put the armrest up so his lard could encroach even more.
I kept myself all pulled in for the next three hours trying not to touch these two complete strangers.
Behind me was a screaming baby.
My god I swear, I am never flying again.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
'Nothing in your pockets' was a rule even before 9/11, and 'shoes off' has been around for something like 15 years at this point. So failure to check current security screening rules beforehand is more your fault than the fault of the TSA or the airlines.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:05 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
'Nothing in your pockets' was a rule even before 9/11, and 'shoes off' has been around for something like 15 years at this point. So failure to check current security screening rules beforehand is more your fault than the fault of the TSA or the airlines.
The last few trips LAX, DEN, JFK, EWR, PHX the TSA workers have been unbelievably horrible. Machines were breaking, the wrong people get called for extra screening (myself included), workers refusing to open up extra security lanes. I gotta get pre-check.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:28 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
The only US airport Ive been in since 9-11 is IAH-Houston, and the experience there is pretty much what you expect an airport to be. Varies a lot by time of day, according the traffic load. Outside the US, there are very few that Ive been to more than twice, and that's an unfair sample. BKK Ive been to quite a few times, it is huge, but I have no problem with any of it. The only problematic airport is MNL Manila, where to change flights, you might need to take a (free) shuttle out into city traffic for the 10-30 minute drive around to another terminal on the opposite side of the airport.

NRT Tokyo is very nice. If you've never been to Japan and have a long layover, you can hop on the free shuttle to Narita View Hotel, then a free shuttle from there into the very pleasant Narita town, a typical Japanese community. Then back to the airport the same way. Nobody will ask if you are booked at the hotel. In the NRT departure area, there is a coin operated vending machine with ice cream treats for about 30 yen -- a rare airport bargain.. Everybody at the airport and town is amazingly pleasant and helpful.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Did I look like a frikking terrorist? They had just let a woman on wearing a burka!
Statistically, the woman with the burka or hijab is more likely to hold a top secret security clearance than to be a terrorist. Nice stereotyping there.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:46 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

NRT Tokyo is very nice. If you've never been to Japan and have a long layover, you can hop on the free shuttle to Narita View Hotel, then a free shuttle from there into the very pleasant Narita town, a typical Japanese community. Then back to the airport the same way. Nobody will ask if you are booked at the hotel. In the NRT departure area, there is a coin operated vending machine with ice cream treats for about 30 yen -- a rare airport bargain.. Everybody at the airport and town is amazingly pleasant and helpful.
NRT is a decent airport in terms of facilities but it's biggest drawback is its distance from central Tokyo. If you're visiting Tokyo, an alternative is to fly into Haneda Airport, which is closer to the city, and has an increasing number of international flights.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Wow a bit of high maintenance back there aways

Old 02-01-2018, 05:34 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,389 times
Quote:
Here is what happened that caused me to never fly again so long as I live-- It was the Austin Texas airport.

I was supposed to suddnely catch a flight from Austin to Nashville.
When I first got there, I had to stand in a line that filled the entire first floor.
Then, I had to go through 'Security' where some stranger x-rayed me naked and in every detail.
I had to put everything I owned out on plastic trays. I had to take my riding boots off. Do you have any idea how hard that is? In classical English boots, you have to put your foot on someone's butt and push.
You've just described security. Your first grievance is that air travel includes a security check. Oh, and that you decided to wear very difficult to remove footwear.

Quote:
Then, I went up to gate C -16. I was in another line.
I leaned over and told the lady in front of me I would like to start an airline where everyone goes naked. No security search needed.
Well, some stuffed shirt overheard me and they pulled me out of the line.
I had to go over to some nearby public place and they made me take my coat off.
I was wearing a tight black spandex business suit.
I mean, if I had a boxcutter or a bomb, there would have been a huge lump.
I'm surprised there's anyone on the planet to still is oblivious to the perils of joking about security in an airport.

Quote:
That'll show 'em! I'm sure their reaction will be to strive to be extra nice to troublesome fliers from here on out!

Quote:
Did you pay any attention at all on 9/11? The hijackers all were clean-cut and dressed in common western attire.

Quote:
So they felt me up right there in front of everyone. Another beady eyed look from me, of pure hatred.
You really sound like a peach.

Quote:
But I didn't say anything or I would have gotten arrested.
Well, you're learning. Baby steps.

Quote:
Then, a voice come over the airport intercom that said Passenger M. Bishop Please Board Immediately!
I took off running through miles of halls carrying a giant carry on suitcase.
As I ran by the the women at the desk I let them have it. "You treat people like crap, and then you give their seat away"!
Did you curse out the mechanics and the pilots while you were at it?

Quote:
Then.... the horrible plane ride. ... people crammed on the plane like a sardine can.
I spied a narrow slot between too grumpy looking passengers.
Wikipedia says "Seat width is the distance from armrest to armrest, in Economy class this is typically around 43-46 centimeters ."
I measured it. It WAS 17 inches!
17 inches is 43 centimeters. You paid for a small seat and are outraged that... you got a small seat.

Quote:
I stuffed in next to an encroaching fat guy who put the armrest up so his lard could encroach even more.
I kept myself all pulled in for the next three hours trying not to touch these two complete strangers.
Who both had the worst flights of their lives, I suspect.

Quote:
Behind me was a screaming baby.
My god I swear, I am never flying again.
We can only hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation