Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
All this is kind of sad, though, anyway. I do think most of the people making these videos *could* develop a better understanding of the world and how it works.
No, they couldn't. They are morons, complete and utter [expletive] morons. It is cases of, because *they* can't comprehend how it is done then it is not possible for it to be done. A number of the examples were actually explained by the material they were showing, but they simply lack the capacity to understand what they are looking at...and the rest of their stuff is bullscat.

LOL at claiming the big jets are going 'slow', most of them have a rotation speed somewhere between 150-180 mph, any slower and they aren't getting off the ground. The joker doesn't understand 'lift', and is completely off in judging the altitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 05:39 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL at claiming the big jets are going 'slow', most of them have a rotation speed somewhere between 150-180 mph, any slower and they aren't getting off the ground. The joker doesn't understand 'lift', and is completely off in judging the altitude.
He does not have to understand lift because he calls it levitation?

By the way, for those who may have misunderstood the word rotation in the above, it actually means the moment of take-off.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:40 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
I have seen a few bizarre claims, seemingly taken seriously by some, while looking at YouTube videos. This latest series I came upon takes the cake.

The claim is, jet aircraft fly on compressed air, and electrical power taken from the air and lightening. One of their talking points is, there is simply no room in which to store the tens of thousands of pounds of jet fuel said to be stored in the wings of jet aircraft.

This is part of a great hoax (apparently many thousands are in on “it”), to rob the public by claiming that these jets run on expensive fuels, when, according to their claimants, the propulsive force used is really free.

I have no words.
Nothing anyone believes surprises me. Chemtrails. Need I say more?

The bolded bit is nothing more than a variation on the old myth about the miracle carburetor that allowed you to get 300 mpg that was being suppressed for some reason that never made in sense in any way, shape or form. Something wonderful exists and 'they' are keeping it from us.

More than anything, the internet has allowed people who believe idiotic things to stand up and be heard (anonymously - because on some level, they know that attaching their name to the idiotic things they're claiming would do them no good). These people have always been among us. They just didn't always have the forum on which to (anonymously) tout the moronic things they believe.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Wow! I didn't realize how flammable compressed air is. Dang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qyZFASOAe0

Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think it was Einstein who said something like "Only two things are infinite, human stupidity and the universe. And sometimes I am not so certain about the universe".

The American public education system, obviously, does not educate.
These are the same group of folks that in another topic on here state that there is a huge lost city under Antarctica, and another that the world is flat. All the same folks. Probably home schooled.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:08 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Most people don't know anything at all. Ask your neighbor what causes the seasons.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:43 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Technically a jet engine does compress air. Through several stages of low pressure and high pressure turbines.

But it definitely churns through a lot of dead dinosaurs as well!
Thanks!

Old 03-02-2018, 08:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
A hi bypass jet engine does indeed compress air to function. I'm guessing that the original jet engines were similar, but less efficient.
So do all internal combustion engines.

And it stands to reason the person being laughed at was either misunderstood or expressed it incorrectly and follow-on comments reflect the real lack of knowledge.

http://www.aviationpros.com/article/...-and-operation

Old 03-02-2018, 10:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Jet engine propulsion likely isn't covered in any curriculum. Maybe in Physics but not anywhere else in a basic Science class.

Neither is common sense.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:47 AM

9,415 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Jet engine propulsion likely isn't covered in any curriculum. Maybe in Physics but not anywhere else in a basic Science class.
We learned the basics of propulsion, don't recall exactly which grades. Probably 5th or 6th, maybe 7th. It's not a complex matter.

Car engines, locomotives, aircraft, boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation