Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:51 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,178 times

Advertisements

It is what it is? Complacency accomplishes nothing, this lady knows this from experience. At least she has the guts to speak out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 03:38 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
At least she has the guts to speak out.
Now Eva Mozes Kor's name is on a new list, she can expect secondary screening on every future flight.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:42 PM

34,984 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Naturally, I can only speak for myself, but I don’t see anything wrong with thinking, “anyone can be a terrorist.”
I can’t see how you can blithely state that the idea of “anyone can be a terrorist” must go.
It’s true, from the 17 y.o. co-ed, through the pregnant? young woman, to the senior citizen in a walker, any or all of those people COULD be aiming to bring your plane down, whether they’re on it too, or not.
I think another poster answered this best. I'm setting out the two quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
They do so no matter how slight the risk such a person statistically poses. The screening process seems more interested in political correctness than in preventing actual terrorism. It is an extremely cumbersome process. I've seen bunches of white Caucasian women lined up with baby strollers all going through the metal detector despite the fact that such a person with a baby is extremely unlikely to commit a terrorist act.

We've abandoned good sense and we spend about $6 billion a year to fund TSA too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My problem with this kind of analysis is that you carry it to its extreme, you could justify anything.

Maybe the scanning machines at the airport are not perfect. They might miss a terrorist with an extremely small bomb. Solution: Make all passengers fly naked or at least subject all passengers to a strip search.

Perhaps, someone dangerous is attempting to fly who might harm passengers with his bare hands. Solution: Every passenger boarding airplane should be subjected to thirty minutes of interrogation by two trained law enforcement officers. All passengers should be required to provide proof of residence through utility bills, rent receipts, last mortgage payment, and a note from their employer. And, everyone who wants to fly should be subjected to psychological and psychiatric examinations to attempt to determine their "level of potential dangerousness".

Could people in the middle of a divorce be a greater risk than the rest of us? Maybe all people in the midst of a divorce who are attempting to fly should be subjected to polygraph tests asking whether they plan to commit any act of harm while on an airplane.

You see where I am going with this. Its a question of just how much risk society is willing to tolerate from airline passengers and what costs we are willing to endure to eliminate or reduce that risk.

This article indicates TSA costs this country over $7 billion a year. That's $7 billion that could be used to strengthen the military, pay for health care for indigent people, bolster social security, fund education, or reduce the budget deficit.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/testimony/2...administration

I personally advocate going back to security being approximately the way it was before 9/11. At that time, it was run by the airlines and the cost was absorbed by them through ticket prices. What if one airplane is blown out of the sky by a bomb and 200 people are killed? Its the way the ball bounces. Its just one of the risks of living. At the cost of $7.5 billion a year we could afford to pay compensation to each of the families of those killed at the rate of $7.5 billion divided by 200 people or about $37.5 million per family.

There are many risks in life. Almost 40,000 people die in car accidents every year. I don't hear any cry to do something about that.
We need to balance benefits with costs. And one of those costs is the efficient operation of airports. Back in 1981 I arrived at LaGuardia at 8:55 p.m., frantic to get on the Eastern shuttle to Boston. I made it.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Now Eva Mozes Kor's name is on a new list, she can expect secondary screening on every future flight.
LOL, I doubt it.
Her bravery is to be admired, for so many reasons. Most people just don't have a fraction of it in them.

It amazes me, how much oafish ignorance there still is out there.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:23 PM

30,299 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
I agree that the TSA searches are obnoxious. However, I think that the expression, "Holocaust survivor card" is disgusting. Do you think that the people impacted by it think of it as a game?
Thank you. I was just about to say something, as I was shaking my head at the people who used this phrase... I'm sorry, but she can "play" that card until the day she takes her last breath! She deserves way more than that, given what she endured, and we NEED the few remaining survivors to talk about it. They should never stop talking about it, nor should the rest of us, or history will repeat itself.

As we say on Yom HaShoa, "never forget."

Old 03-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The woman who this thread is about is the person that trivialized Holocaust survivors for her own agenda and not the people typing in this thread.

https://twitter.com/EvaMozesKor/stat...body-search%2F
Can you read? She isn't literally comparing the two experiences; she is merely saying that this TSA search ruined her trip.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
There's an easy way to bypass the TSA inspection. Don't fly.
Yes, we should all start walking or swimming overseas... or I suppose we could take boats, and turn a 10-hour trip into a 10-day trip. Even for cross-country travel, are you suggesting an 80+ year-old woman DRIVE herself cross-country? She was on her way to deliver a lecture, too, so it wasn't just a pleasure trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Funny how El Al seems to be pretty successful at it. I agree, profiling is necessary. I get randomly selected for secondary screening a fair bit (despite TSA Prechk) but it is what it is.
Have you ever flown El-Al? I have, and it was probably the least pleasant flying experience I've had - from the long personal interviews ("have you been handed any packages from strangers? Is your suitcase ticking?" etc), to the false departure times causing people to miss flights, to the downright nasty flight attendants. Yeah, it was a blast. No pun intended.

I guess they can say these security measures have been successful, but at what cost?

Old 03-08-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Nobody can get clearance. TSA searches young children as well as elderly adults, people with disabilities, men, women people of all races, religions, sexual orientation and both genders.
Actually, there is pre-screening clearance which allows you to bypass (or at least quickly pass through) TSA - and it's good for 5 years with an $85 membership, so you don't have to go through the process before every flight. My sister did it because she travels a lot for work, and they came to her office for the interview/check.

https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/work...ice=pre-enroll

Old 03-08-2018, 08:20 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Post Buying your way out of the long lines with TSA Pre✓® does not get you out of the mandatory Freedom Gropeâ„¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Actually, there is pre-screening clearance which allows you to bypass (or at least quickly pass through) TSA...
Even with TSA Pre✓®, passengers are still subject to "random" selection for secondary screening.

The TSA FAQ specifically states "Even passengers who normally receive expedited screening, such as TSA Pre✓® passengers, may at times receive a pat-down...no individual is guaranteed expedited screening"

Old 03-08-2018, 09:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Meh. You’re flying so you’re subject to the same treatment as every other flyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
The TSA tend to suck as of recently- TSA agent felt up my crotch at DFW. They look so stoned all the time these days.
Lol. My buddy had that happen to him. He pushed his crotch in the guys hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, we should all start walking or swimming overseas... or I suppose we could take boats, and turn a 10-hour trip into a 10-day trip. Even for cross-country travel, are you suggesting an 80+ year-old woman DRIVE herself cross-country? She was on her way to deliver a lecture, too, so it wasn't just a pleasure trip.

Have you ever flown El-Al? I have, and it was probably the least pleasant flying experience I've had - from the long personal interviews ("have you been handed any packages from strangers? Is your suitcase ticking?" etc), to the false departure times causing people to miss flights, to the downright nasty flight attendants. Yeah, it was a blast. No pun intended.

I guess they can say these security measures have been successful, but at what cost?
I’m not sure I understand what you’re stating. You’re ok with EL AL type of screen8ng but TSAis too intrusive because somehow the person be8ng questioned is a holocaust survivor and she should be excused or get a free pass.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation