Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:07 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
They do so no matter how slight the risk such a person statistically poses. The screening process seems more interested in political correctness than in preventing actual terrorism. It is an extremely cumbersome process. I've seen bunches of white Caucasian women lined up with baby strollers all going through the metal detector despite the fact that such a person with a baby is extremely unlikely to commit a terrorist act.

We've abandoned good sense and we spend about $6 billion a year to fund TSA too.

What I'd be interested in knowing, is how many times the TSA searches have discovered dangerous items of some kind, that a terrorist was trying to slip past them? There have been several incidents when explosives were carried by terrorists onto planes (such as the "Shoe Bomber") and attempts were made to detonate them. But obviously, none of those were discovered by TSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 01:57 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Funny how El Al seems to be pretty successful at it. I agree, profiling is necessary. I get randomly selected for secondary screening a fair bit (despite TSA Prechk) but it is what it is.
In the US for Israel bound flights? There's a second screening right at the gate for all people and one for their carry on's. And if you're lucky you get to meet the dogs in the walkway that sniff you.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:29 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I’m not sure I understand what you’re stating. You’re ok with EL AL type of screen8ng but TSAis too intrusive because somehow the person be8ng questioned is a holocaust survivor and she should be excused or get a free pass.?
Uh, no... you sure put a lot of words in my mouth, and not even the right ones! I never said anyone deserves a “free pass,” and in regards to this woman specifically, was only responding to a few posters’ lack of respect. Whether or not I agree with TSA procedures (which I didn’t even comment on), I just thought the use of phrases like “she’s playing the holocaust card” are unnecessary and disrespectful. That is ALL I said about her.

As for the comments about El-Al, I can’t honestly say if their procedures are overkill or effective - at least not without first knowing how many (if any) threats they’ve identified through the screening process. But as someone who’s flown on their airline, I can say the process was inconvenient and unpleasant from a traveler’s standpoint. Now do you understand what I was stating?

Old 03-09-2018, 06:11 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Uh, no... you sure put a lot of words in my mouth, and not even the right ones! I never said anyone deserves a “free pass,” and in regards to this woman specifically, was only responding to a few posters’ lack of respect. Whether or not I agree with TSA procedures (which I didn’t even comment on), I just thought the use of phrases like “she’s playing the holocaust card” are unnecessary and disrespectful. That is ALL I said about her.
I agree. I think the lady may have been trying to state the obvious; she's no terrorist.

Quote:
As for the comments about El-Al, I can’t honestly say if their procedures are overkill or effective - at least not without first knowing how many (if any) threats they’ve identified through the screening process. But as someone who’s flown on their airline, I can say the process was inconvenient and unpleasant from a traveler’s standpoint. Now do you understand what I was stating?
As far as El Al procedures I assume they are ratcheted up and down based upon intelligence estimates of actual threats. You may have picked a ratcheted up day. TSA is the same day in day out. El Al wants to keep some unpredictability. Keeps real terrorists at bay.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:14 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
I absolutely despise the TSA -- my fantasy is to win the lottery, buy a share of a G6, and NEVER fly commercial again. I always try to be polite and low-key when going through TSA, because, God knows, they have a thankless job. But the EXTREMELY intrusive inspection I was subjected to after being on a plane and in transit for 18 hours from Beijing was one of the most humiliating and offensive experiences I have ever been subjected to -- and knowing that I could not object without being labeled a "suspect" made it even more frustrating. I was forced to remove my BRA because of "suspicious metal" -- well, duh, yeah, it's AN UNDERWIRE BRA -- seriously, folks, you've never seen one before?!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,398 times
From what pool of potential workers are these TSA "agents" pulled from?

Old 03-09-2018, 01:44 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Thank you. I was just about to say something, as I was shaking my head at the people who used this phrase... I'm sorry, but she can "play" that card until the day she takes her last breath! She deserves way more than that, given what she endured, and we NEED the few remaining survivors to talk about it. They should never stop talking about it, nor should the rest of us, or history will repeat itself.

As we say on Yom HaShoa, "never forget."
Maybe someone else mentioned this already. There is archival film footage of her and her twin sister, along with other children, being liberated wrt to Auschwitz-Birkenau. She has talked extensively about Mengele and what he did. She was a victim and a witness.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:29 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
From what pool of potential workers are these TSA "agents" pulled from?
The septic tank maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation