Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Which seat was she sitting in?
Looks like 15A

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/So...tno=1380&date=

https://media.nbclosangeles.com/imag...Broken+Out.JPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 05:57 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I’m betting a lot more passengers will be keeping their seat belts buckled from now on. That is part of the preflight spiel the fight attendants go through.
There's an abundance of photos of people with the oxygen mask over the mouth, but not their nose. Another part of the spiel...

Incidentally, I survived a 4-hour 737 flight today.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:20 PM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Glad to hear of the safe landing of this flight by a skilled air crew. Bravo!

Old 04-20-2018, 09:38 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I read today that the passenger who died was wearing her lap belt. The article I read said her upper body was sucked through the window. I wonder if she had been wearing a 3 point seat belt if her upper body would have been sucked through the window. I saw photos of her seat and the seat looked intact.
I am having a hard time wrapping around how her shoulders even got through the window. It seems like a window would be too narrow even for a slender woman. My shoulders are about 17 inches end to end. Can anyone explain this?

It is such a bizarre and tragic incident.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:55 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I am having a hard time wrapping around how her shoulders even got through the window. It seems like a window would be too narrow even for a slender woman. My shoulders are about 17 inches end to end. Can anyone explain this?

Without getting too graphic, the amount of force exerted on her body in that few seconds was enough to shatter bones.

An absolute tragedy.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:18 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This isn't the first time that passenger fatalities have resulted from an engine failure. I remember one time it happened on an MD-80, and ever since then, I refused to sit in the seats that are next to the engines on that plane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_...es_Flight_1288

But for a 737, or any other plane whose engines are under the wings, which are the seats to avoid? Directly opposite the engine? At a 45-degree angle back from the engine? Where was the unfortunate victim on the Southwest flight sitting, in relation to the engine?

I suppose I could just avoid window seats entirely, but I'd hate to do that, because I like looking out the window. Generally I end up sitting behind the wing. Should I think about moving?

(And yes, I know that this incident is a billion-to-one thing. But what I'm asking is, assuming that I want to eliminate the possibility altogether but still sit in window seats, which are the seats to avoid?)
When is your time to go, its just your time. That fan blade could have broken the windows before or after her and killed someone else instead. The last SW engine explosion resulted in the parts puncturing the fuselage in 2016

I would say sitting before the engine or the last few rows of the place would be the safer bet from incidents like this. Thankfully neither of these planes ended up with a giant gaping hole in the fuselage

Old 04-20-2018, 11:28 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I think all Boeing (and probably AirBus) jets have a band of Kevlar in the area of the most probably Jet Fan blade impact, to slow.stop the blade from getting into the cabin.

The plane will still depressurize from it, but its suppose to contain the shrapnel of the fan blade.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:01 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

Well, what do you think will 'give' first - the airframe around the window, or the soft tissue and bones of the human body?

Given sufficient force, a person can fit through any sized hole. Just not necessarily comfortably. And not necessarily without the person suffering some damage. The greater the disparity between the size of the person and the size of the hole, the more discomfort and and the more damage.

But the person will go through.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:25 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Well, what do you think will 'give' first - the airframe around the window, or the soft tissue and bones of the human body?

Given sufficient force, a person can fit through any sized hole. Just not necessarily comfortably. And not necessarily without the person suffering some damage. The greater the disparity between the size of the person and the size of the hole, the more discomfort and and the more damage.

But the person will go through.
Yup.

Anyone interested should read up on UA232 and this link where the captain later addressed a group at Edwards AFB.

The Crash of United Flight 232 by Capt. Al Haynes

Great quote relevant to what you said:

“We actually had one of our dead-heading pilots sitting in the back of the first-class cabin go out a window. I said, you can't go out a window. He said, yes you can. [laughter] When you realize you're upside down and the thing's on fire, you can get out a window. [laughter].”

Old 04-20-2018, 04:33 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Glad to hear of the safe landing of this flight by a skilled air crew. Bravo!
Was a great job all around. What irritates me are news people calling them (mostly the captain) heroes.

I’ve heard people say “in that situation I would have froze. She didn’t freeze”. “She sounded so calm, I could never be that way”.

Most people must not realize what the purpose of simulator training is, how much they do it, and the types of simulations they go through. My guess (need to call a friend who runs sims in FL to confirm) is that a single engine failure is probably the #1 thing, followed by some sort of explosive decompression as another scenario. This flight was the combination of the two.

By all accounts controls and surfaces were fine. Fuel was fine. Just no #1 engine. Standard protocol would be to descend quickly under 10,000 feet and find a nearby airport.

I’m sure there was a lot of tension, and she relied on her training, but the fuse held together.

Then again, given the boneheaded moves the crew of AF447 did perhaps she is a hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation