Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 10:52 AM

764 posts, read 508,914 times

Advertisements

Motivation:
Aircraft, spacecraft is #4 exports totally $131.2 billion (8.5%) for 2017.
I have an int'l trade background and am exploring that option...

I understand for quite a few east coast states such as FL,GA, SC,NC and KY civilian aircraft (engines and parts) are their #1 exports, and I don't want to get into any sensitive stuff (potential trouble maker) but I need to gain sufficient information to decide if getting involved in assisting civilian aircraft export would be profitable. In addition, I've also studied US export control laws and regulations many years ago, so, knowledge in that regime may also help.

What are some of the medium-sized civilian aircraft corporations in these states? Assumption: the big guys need outside help least.

What viable online resources out there for this initial exploration?

State economic development departments would have their industry information, however, bureaucrats are slow if not lazy.

Who are likely interested in teaming up or sort of becoming my mentor in this space?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 10:09 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
Motivation:
Aircraft, spacecraft is #4 exports totally $131.2 billion (8.5%) for 2017.
I have an int'l trade background and am exploring that option...

I understand for quite a few east coast states such as FL,GA, SC,NC and KY civilian aircraft (engines and parts) are their #1 exports, and I don't want to get into any sensitive stuff (potential trouble maker) but I need to gain sufficient information to decide if getting involved in assisting civilian aircraft export would be profitable. In addition, I've also studied US export control laws and regulations many years ago, so, knowledge in that regime may also help.

What are some of the medium-sized civilian aircraft corporations in these states? Assumption: the big guys need outside help least.

What viable online resources out there for this initial exploration?

State economic development departments would have their industry information, however, bureaucrats are slow if not lazy.

Who are likely interested in teaming up or sort of becoming my mentor in this space?

Thanks in advance.
What is your motivation and how can you specifically help them?
Are you looking for work in this industry, or looking to invest... "Outside help"?
Do you want to be an Angel?? Do you want to help with market expansion?

I would suspect that there are no medium sized aircraft corporations, but there are companies that make medium sized planes for private flying and executive transport. Any other aerospace companies are likely into components and spares.

Export is normally part of logistics and distribution...

Old 05-12-2018, 03:30 PM

Thank you for your informative response.

Yes, your description of " there are companies that make medium sized planes for private flying and executive transport. Any other aerospace companies are likely into components and spares." put it into perspective.

Now, for "components and spares", let's dig a bit deeper, who are the folks who make more expensive or more technologically-demanding components/parts, I'm thinking along the following line:
engines: top engine makers in the world are not many (export control of most advanced plane engines may be in place... )
parts that make engine can be considered (not every buyer of engine parts would be able to make a good engine, thus exporting such parts might be less controlled, thus, engine parts suppliers / factories can be considered from business perspective...
cockpit compartment contains avionics (probably certain avionic instrument is under export control but not all of them), so, probably avionic components makers/suppliers may also be considered...
wings? probably primarily made of aluminum, probably I can skip this guy for now...
fuselage?

In sum, for now I'm doing some preliminary research to see if I can add unique value to their "market expansion".

Old 05-17-2018, 03:52 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
I would start with AOPA (Aircraft Owner's and Pilots Association), but you'll have to join which is $49 for an introductory membership.

https://www.aopa.org/

Old 05-17-2018, 05:43 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Maybe this?

Aviation Week | Aerospace Defense, Business & Commercial News

Old 05-17-2018, 07:28 PM

Thank you @Pilot1 and @motormaker for the pointers.

One very desirable thing would be to find out if some of the states that have large civilian aircraft export have staff that has extensive aviation industry experience, thus, he/she has both the expertise and job incentive to find and work with others who may have overseas market advantage to increase their exports...

Old 05-17-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you @Pilot1 and @motormaker for the pointers.

One very desirable thing would be to find out if some of the states that have large civilian aircraft export have staff that has extensive aviation industry experience, thus, he/she has both the expertise and job incentive to find and work with others who may have overseas market advantage to increase their exports...
I believe Cessna, and Beechcraft/Hawker are still in Wichita, KS. Piper is in Vero Beach, FL. Cirrus is in Duluth, MN. If you are looking for Business Jets, there is Bombardier is in Montreal, PQ. Gulfstream is in Savannah, GA. There are others that I can't think of right now.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:53 PM

Great info, Pilot1, since I'm in Augusta, GA, I'll check out Gulfstream first. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Great info, Pilot1, since I'm in Augusta, GA, I'll check out Gulfstream first. Thanks.
Anytime.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:43 AM

Gulfstream's aircraft seems tailored to the corporate and private flights, it could be an interesting niche...

Who are some of the big regional airplane makers excluding the largest two (Boeing and Airbus)? By that I mean commercial/passenger airplanes designed to fly between major metropolis such as from LA to NYC.

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation