Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:19 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,102 times

Advertisements

I'm doing an overseas trip in December to visit my wife's family, and it turns out we're getting in Phillipine Air's brand new A350, which isn't even going to be in service until October. Going to be my first time on what is essentially a brand new airplane so I'm a bit excited. I've flown on a lot of different planes, from Dash-8s all the way to the A380 (that one was really something). What can I expect from the A350?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 07:25 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,527,976 times
Delta is the only US operator as United is not due to get their deliveries for at least another three years, and American hasn't ordered any. I don't know what class you are flying: economy/premium/business.

It looks like PA is more generous with economy seating than Delta, but possibly less opulent with business class or premium economy. Overall Delta has 11 more seats in the plane

A350-900
30 Mabuhay | 24 premium | 241 economy = 295 seats
32 Delta One | 48 premium |226 economy = 306 seats

Delta One 76-81"/22-24" open suites
Delta Premium Select 38"/18.5 standard seats
Economy 31-32"/18" standard seats

Mabuhay Business 78"/20" angle-flat seats with 165 degrees recline
Premium Economy 34"/18.5" standard seats
Fiesta Economy 33"/18.5 standard seats

Old 07-14-2018, 10:11 AM

I'm flying economy. And yeah, PAL is generally a lot more generous than most American carriers with their economy seating, especially Delta. I flew Delta to the Phillipines exactly one time, and was miserable the entire trip. Never again. Not only were the seats too tight for a long-haul flight, but the cabin crew seemed like they'd rather be somewhere else. With PAL, the cabin crew is always cheerful and helpful.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I'm flying economy. And yeah, PAL is generally a lot more generous than most American carriers with their economy seating, especially Delta. I flew Delta to the Phillipines exactly one time, and was miserable the entire trip. Never again. Not only were the seats too tight for a long-haul flight, but the cabin crew seemed like they'd rather be somewhere else. With PAL, the cabin crew is always cheerful and helpful.
United is so dominant in TransPacific. Ranking by number of seats for January 2018.
18.9% American Airlines Inc.
24.0% Delta Air Lines Inc.
9.7% Hawaiian Airlines Inc.
47.4% United Air Lines Inc.
100.0% Trans Pacific

27.1% American Airlines Inc.
36.4% Delta Air Lines Inc.
36.5% United Air Lines Inc.
100.0% Trans Atlantic

TransAtlantic is much more evenly divided

Unfortunately, I have been to Hawaii and Guam a number of times, but only to Japan for three days.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,010,757 times
I have a couple friends flying them for Qatar Airways and as pilots they seem to like the jet. It's fast, I've seen speeds around .95 Mach posted numerous times, so that's a definite plus. Can't speak to passenger comfort, but from the front end, it seems pretty slick.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
United is so dominant in TransPacific. Ranking by number of seats for January 2018.
18.9% American Airlines Inc.
24.0% Delta Air Lines Inc.
9.7% Hawaiian Airlines Inc.
47.4% United Air Lines Inc.
100.0% Trans Pacific

27.1% American Airlines Inc.
36.4% Delta Air Lines Inc.
36.5% United Air Lines Inc.
100.0% Trans Atlantic

TransAtlantic is much more evenly divided

Unfortunately, I have been to Hawaii and Guam a number of times, but only to Japan for three days.
All the American carriers to trans-Atlantic out of JFK (United doesn't exist there though, just Delta and American, and JetBlue). Pacific hubs are served by all of the Pacific-based airlines these days. Going to Seoul, Taipei, or Tokyo was pretty easy. Everyone else connected through one of those airports (ICN was nice to connect through, Tokyo was OK).

It's surprising how many Pacific destinations you can reach from JFK, in fact, but the only one served by an American carrier is Hawaii, and it's served by Hawaiian Airlines, not one of the major US carriers (counting JetBlue as a "major," which is a stretch.)

Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
t's surprising how many Pacific destinations you can reach from JFK, in fact, but the only one served by an American carrier is Hawaii, and it's served by Hawaiian Airlines, not one of the major US carriers (counting JetBlue as a "major," which is a stretch.)
I am not sure why that is so surprising. United carries 50% of all TransPacific International seats, and as you observed they sold their slots at JFK.

United flies once daily from Newark to HKG, PEK, PVG with Boeing 777-200ER and to NRT with
Boeing 777-300ER.

American only flies TransPacific from 3 airports in the USA.

Origin Airport for International TransPacific flights
American Airlines DFW, LAX, ORD
Delta : ATL, DTW, LAS, LAX, MSP, PDX, SEA, HNL, GUM (Guam), SPN (Saipan)
United EWR, DEN, IAD, IAH, SFO, LAX, ORD,HNL, GUM
Hawaiian: HNL, KOA

Flying from JFK to Asia is a minimum of 6745 miles, which are expensive flights. Why compete with all those foreign airlines?

Old 07-16-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I am not sure why that is so surprising. United carries 50% of all TransPacific International seats, and as you observed they sold their slots at JFK.

United flies once daily from Newark to HKG, PEK, PVG with Boeing 777-200ER and to NRT with
Boeing 777-300ER.

American only flies TransPacific from 3 airports in the USA.

Origin Airport for International TransPacific flights
American Airlines DFW, LAX, ORD
Delta : ATL, DTW, LAS, LAX, MSP, PDX, SEA, HNL, GUM (Guam), SPN (Saipan)
United EWR, DEN, IAD, IAH, SFO, LAX, ORD,HNL, GUM
Hawaiian: HNL, KOA

Flying from JFK to Asia is a minimum of 6745 miles, which are expensive flights. Why compete with all those foreign airlines?
Works for me. Those foreign airlines consistently seem to offer a better in-flight experience. Especially Korean Air and Phillipine Airlines.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:37 AM

You may think that there are more TransAtlantic flights from JFK on USA carriers.

TransAtlantic from JFK January 2018
American Airlines LHR (3x daily), BCN, CDG, MAD (daily), MXP, ZRH
Delta Airlines LHR (.3.5 daily) AMS (~3 daily), DUB, FRA, TLV, ZRH, CDG, MXP, BRU (daily) BCN, FCO, MAD, ACC, KEF (fewer than daily), DSS, EDI

International passengers (2016)
JFK 31.3 MAP
LAX 22.2 MAP
MIA 19.7 MP
ORD, SFO, EWR, ATL, IAH 10.8-11.9

Quote:
Works for me. Those foreign airlines consistently seem to offer a better in-flight experience. Especially Korean Air and Phillipine Airlines.
As nation after nation builds super airports (including Mexico) that are true gateways to their country, I worry that USA will fall behind with our crowded airports. While ATL is the busiest airport in the world, you are relatively limited as to the places you can fly from there compared to Istanbul (for instance).

LAX is the most international of airports where USA carriers mix with international ones flying to almost any place that jets can reach, but it is severely limited in capacity.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
You may think that there are more TransAtlantic flights from JFK on USA carriers.

TransAtlantic from JFK January 2018
American Airlines LHR (3x daily), BCN, CDG, MAD (daily), MXP, ZRH
Delta Airlines LHR (.3.5 daily) AMS (~3 daily), DUB, FRA, TLV, ZRH, CDG, MXP, BRU (daily) BCN, FCO, MAD, ACC, KEF (fewer than daily), DSS, EDI

International passengers (2016)
JFK 31.3 MAP
LAX 22.2 MAP
MIA 19.7 MP
ORD, SFO, EWR, ATL, IAH 10.8-11.9

As nation after nation builds super airports (including Mexico) that are true gateways to their country, I worry that USA will fall behind with our crowded airports. While ATL is the busiest airport in the world, you are relatively limited as to the places you can fly from there compared to Istanbul (for instance).

LAX is the most international of airports where USA carriers mix with international ones flying to almost any place that jets can reach, but it is severely limited in capacity.
Well, the problem with making a "country gateway" into the US is that where is it? Which city gets it? Washington, because capital city? New York, because...well, New York? But LA is pretty much the gateway to the Pacific, unless you take a foreign carrier out of NY. And then there's ATL and MIA. Because of our size, we actually could justify needing more than one, but every international airport is trying to be one. And while some of JFK's terminals are OK, Terminal 1 (The "International Gateway") doesn't hold a candle to ICN or NRT. Not to mention transferring between JFK's terminals is troublesome, and half of T1's facilities shut down before the overnight flights start running anyway.

Never actually been to LAX, but SFO is better, so is ATL (ATL is actually really well laid out, it never feels that busy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation