Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:33 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
Dude America keeps more of its people in cages then any nation ever in the entire history of mankind, should I call the place "land of the free" ?
If they were incarcerated for speaking out against or the government you might have a case, but I've never seen a definition/description of police state that simply included the characteristic of having criminals incarcerated since it would apply to every country on earth.

You can call it whatever you want, but the feeble attempts to mischaracterize it as a police state just demonstrate you're more enamored with the term than being someone who actually knows that it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 04:56 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Smoking is bad.

No place like airports for those paternalistic nanny state busybodies to do their power tripping and "save us from ourselves" LOL

Police state mentality of America

I think you need to put your tinfoil hat back on. The gubmint might listening in.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider
Police state mentality of America

Dude America keeps more of its people in cages then any nation ever in the entire history of mankind, should I call the place "land of the free" ?

Fellow Dave Smith fan?

You wont convince anyone on these boards that the US Government should stay out of it and let businesses decide if they want to allow smoking.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 PM

758 posts, read 550,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Fellow Dave Smith fan?

You wont convince anyone on these boards that the US Government should stay out of it and let businesses decide if they want to allow smoking.
Yeah! The free market would sort it all out. Get the government out of EVERYTHING! As a recent presidential candidate once said, they want to change social security, like its some kind of government program! Idiots!!!

Why should the government assume I want clean water? Screw them!

And why should the government decide I actually want to be able to breathe? Who died and made them dictator!?!

Businesses should run everything. That would make everything much better. Government even running airport and airway security is ridiculous. Absolutely RIDICULOUS!!! People who want to fly on a plane without terrorists on it are SNOWFLAKES! Put your big boy/girl pants on and protect your own stupid flight. Or RUN YOUR OWN #$&% WATCH LISTS!!! Check your fellow passengers yourselves. Nobody made you get on the plane! Or pay some really smart business run by people who only want to make a teeny-tiny profit, just as small compensation, to do the job. Don't take my hard-earned money to pay for your luxuries!!!

And people who stupidly choose to live on the ground should PAY UP if they want to make sure planes don't collide over their house and rain destruction on them. A business would keep them safe, not like the stupid U.S. government that hasn't had a commercial airline crash fatality since 2009. Nobody told those people to live in (literally) flyover country. Get me outta this STUPID NANNY STATE!!!

Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 AM

724 posts, read 502,552 times
I think that this thread ( once again ) shows that many people on both sides of a debate and/or discussion are fond of over generalizing and exaggerating IMHO . Far be it from me to come off as high and mighty , but I think any reasonable person should concede that every group has its share of inconsiderate oafs , whether it be smokers , nonsmokers , or midnight cowboy jokers .

What I don't understand is that some on the nonsmoking side of the fence who have participated in this thread seem to be of the opinion that smoking should be banned by law in all public places . Why's that guys ? I mean how is that any better than the view that smoking should be allowed in all public places ?

Favoring extreme positions such as this is another prime example of being inconsiderate and I'd like to think that the good ol American spirit of live and let live should shine the way forward as opposed to " all public places should abide by my standard , even though I'd never even set foot in many of said places " . It's exactly this sort of thinking that motivated the extremist yahoos of both the far left and far right to increasingly ply their sorry trade to the detriment of all in this country , but I'm getting ahead of myself .

In closing I'd like to share a clip that everyone should find cool , regardless of their smoking status :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjjDOdaFZg0

Old 09-05-2020, 06:22 PM

724 posts, read 502,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Well then the guy who was smoking was obviously in the wrong , however breaking someone's nose for simply blowing smoke on you is a bit of a senseless macho stunt if you ask me and I'm speaking as a lifelong member of the redneck biker metalhead fraternity ...

Why didn't the non smoking fellow notify a person of authority in the building that someone was in breach of the non smoking policy ?

Lol I must have had a little too much rum on the night I posted this , since tattle taling in the way I just described above is totally reprehensible to me .

That said I still stand by much of what I've typed on this thread concerning the subject of smoking .

Old 09-06-2020, 08:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
Nicotine Takes Edge Off Anger - Live Science

Hidden Benefits Of Nicotine on The Brain - Mental Health Daily

To me it seems like the psycho authoritarians types for some reason get to have airports as there private playgrounds to screw with people. Flying used to be fun, BYOB no problem and a smoking section even on the planes but now everything has gone stupid for some reason.
Oh boy have you picked a losing battle to fight.......

Old 09-06-2020, 09:58 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post

Flying used to be fun, BYOB no problem and a smoking section even on the planes but now everything has gone stupid for some reason.
What's stupid is how common it used to be for people to smoke (peaking at about 45 to 50% in its heyday).

If you need a drink and a smoke to have 'fun', you're missing the point of flying; it's not a bachelor party. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation