Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 07:55 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times

Advertisements

Not a good flyer but flying to NYC on Friday (17th).

I get a text today from Delta saying they are giving waivers due to the weather situation and feel free to rebook.

I usually don't fly Delta but is this normal?

I checked the weather and there are thunderstorms expected but PM - we get in around noon.

Since I am not a good flyer, I am concerned and should I be?

I know no one can predict the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 06:08 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
If a serious weather condition is forecast, it is quite normal for airlines to give waivers for travelers to change their flights on those days.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:59 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,701,602 times
If the weather is bad, the flight may cancel or have to divert to another airport. So if you can take an earlier flight, you can avoid that possibility.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:15 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
A modern commercial aircraft is a sturdy beast designed to handle all kinds of wild weather, including lightning strikes in flight, while keeping passengers , pilots, and crew safe. (And planes that are hit by lightning do get a very thorough inspection afterwards to check for any electrical issues)

Summer thunderstorm delays are often because of what's not happening on the ground- the baggage handlers, wing walkers, and other airline employees out on the tarmac aren't physically protected like the people in the planes are, and health and safety rules can pull them inside until the risk of them getting hit by lightning recedes.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,546,718 times
It's generally not the physical weather that causes issues. As beachmouse said, ramp closures due to lightning are possible, as are ground stops and ground delays at your destination airport or other flow control measures, long ATC assigned routes that the crew may or may not be able to comply with, etc. All of these delays compound throughout the day and will impact the next leg of the aircraft.

The thing with JFK and the surrounding airports is the weather doesn't have to impact the airport. The airspace to the west is extremely congested and things begin to melt down quickly when there are clouds in the sky two states over.

I wouldn't worry too much. The travel waiver just gives you more options.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:51 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
The NorthEast corridor is running on the ragged edge of capacity. One little glitch can cause major problems in traffic flow (greater spacing on landings or takeoffs, ground stops due to storm bursts, etc) This is all done so that it is safe. But it means flights get pushed back or cancelled and people get annoyed. It is better if they allow people to adjust their plans ahead of time instead of being at the airport and getting stuck in a line waiting to scream at a passenger agent who can't make the problem go away (hopefully they can minimize your problem) and has already been through the same routine 10 times in the last 15 minutes. The airline is trying to be customer supportive and proactive.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:52 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Not a good flyer but flying to NYC on Friday (17th).

I get a text today from Delta saying they are giving waivers due to the weather situation and feel free to rebook.

I usually don't fly Delta but is this normal?

I checked the weather and there are thunderstorms expected but PM - we get in around noon.

Since I am not a good flyer, I am concerned and should I be?

I know no one can predict the weather.
I don't see anything in your way for Friday that would be a concern. NYC only has a 20% chance of rain and as you know Florida always have afternoon thunderstorms somewhere. The border of GA and Florida is often unstable but that would not be an issue for major airlines. Perhaps it was sent in error or pertained to another part of the country and they just sent out blanket email.

Edited: I see they did issue a weather advisory. I wouldn't be too concerned as you are flying in by noon.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 08-16-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 06:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Thanks to all....

It's hard enough for me to get away without having to worry about the weather!!

You made me feel better and the weather for NYC doesn't look that bad for tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:54 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Airlines a proactive with this and offer alternate flights when inclement weather is on the way. I've had experiences also where I would misconnect at an airport and they will change my flights for free beforehand so I don't miss the connection (or route me through an alternate airport).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation